PLZ HELP! Volume issue!

GuttaLaser

Power User
In my little and disfunctional brain i can't understand this Axe beheaviour:

say you have a simply patch (pre fx + amp + cab + post fx) in a single row of the layout grid
now you want add say a chorus after the cab but in parallel not in series coz you want the original sound uneffected and a bit of chorus from the added row
looking at the "shunt" you have the original chain going from input to output through the patch and an "Y" going from the cab to the chorus in the parallel row and then to the output

Ok ... but... why the overall volume is increased (maybe doubled)???!!!

I know that maybe there are some good reasons for this BUT it's a nonsense to me!
If you add something in the other rows and then go direct to the output at the end of each row the default result should be that the overall volume remain exactly the same!

That sayd...where I must turn down the volume? and what volume knob must I turn down?
a) inside the fx block added in the parallel block?
b) somewhere in the original row
c) in the output block?

TnX for your help!

I'm no guru however

1st point, if you have 2 copies of a sound (in phase) they constructively interfere or reinforce if you like, ie it gets louder (1 + 1 = 2), 2 people clapping, 1000 people clapping ect.

If you add something in the other rows and then go direct to the output at the end of each row the default result should be that the overall volume remain exactly the same!

This would actually be counter intuitive and create more problems than it solves

There are some great videos and threads on parallel routing

However easy fix is just decrease the volume somewhere, ie the amp level or if you have 2 blocks parallel just reduce the level in them to say -6db each, there is a thread around on dbs and the maths involved

I cant find the original thread but this should do
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/76869-scott-what-chart-how-do-i-use.html

This wiki might help as well
Effects: series or parallel effects routing - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Also you might look at Scott Petersons great taming the monster youtube about parallel routing
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/76501-taming-monster-series-parallel-routing.html

Last edited:
TNX... I'll read the link...
BUT ... to me is counter intuitive the way the Axe sum the volume of each row...
I mean... if you have a mixer... the sounds from each channel don't add volume to the ovarall sound... so is not like 1 clap 2 claps 100 claps
IMHO

TNX... I'll read the link...
BUT ... to me is counter intuitive the way the Axe sum the volume of each row...
I mean... if you have a mixer... the sounds from each channel don't add volume to the ovarall sound... so is not like 1 clap 2 claps 100 claps
IMHO

Actually daws , mixers and everything sum the volume

Turn Chorus Mix to 100. Use Chorus Level to dial in the desired amount of chorus. Set Bypass Mode to Mute.

This is another reason that for me this is too complicate:
From Wiki
<<Series/Parallel routing: precautions

When adding parallel effects you need to avoid double direct signal paths, because those result in volume increases with the risk of clipping. So:
Make sure to set the Mix parameter of parallel effects to 100%. Then use the Level parameter to dial in the desired amount of effect
Select a suitable Bypass mode: Mute Out or Mute In. Do not use Mix 0% or Thru, otherwise you'll get double dry signal paths when bypassing the block, resulting in undesirable volume boosts.
Series/Parallel routing: levels

Forum member GM Arts: "Here's a bit of trivia to cover the comments we often see along the lines of: When I combine two blocks in parallel into a single block, it gets louder.... As many of us know, the 2 signals sum, so it's necessary to reduce the output levels of the 2 blocks so they combine without volume boost. For an equal mix, each block must be set to -6dB. What's not so apparent is what levels to use for unequal mixes, so here they are. This applies to combining 2 blocks that each have the same level into a single block without volume change." Source
-6dB -6dB
-5.5dB -6.6dB
-5dB -7.2dB
-4.5dB -7.9dB
-4dB -8.7dB
-3.5dB -9.6dB
-3dB -10.7dB
-2.5dB -12dB
-2dB -13.7dB
-1.5dB -16dB
-1dB -19.3dB
-0.5dB -25dB>>

Now... combining the 2 infos... we must set each block to -6db (but "each" what... the added block in the parallel lines?... every block in the grid... wich one?? and why don't use the levels of the mixer in the output at the end of the grid???)
BUT... while the mix is set to 100%... if we want different amount of the parallel efx we must use again the level so we MUST use the math reported!
Ok... and if I add a 3rd and a 4th row?
To me don't make sense :mad:

You wont clip internally however the result signal maybe too hot, but what it saying (in general) is if you add more than one path you have to compensate by reducing the volume somewhere.

It doesn't matter if you reduce the level in blocks in the parallel path or, the end mix output level, but something most likely has to be reduced

Also note what other people said about the mix parameter and the mute, because your blending 2 paths together it makes sense to have the chorus mix set to 100, and using the level parameter to dial in mix

however as chris stated the chorus already has a mix, so you essentially, just doing the same thing you might as well leave it serial, if the chorus is all you have in a second path

look at scotts video, it really kind of sums up complex parallel routing

Back
Top Bottom