Plugins that won’t suddenly expire?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all,
ive been using waves plugins for years.
they have recently released a new version which doesn’t play nice with their other version and does not support windows 7.
im not changing os for some plugins.

so

what plugins do you guys recommend that;
don’t have ilock
arent subscription based
wont expire.

when I pay money for something, I want to own it.

thanks
pauly

I really don't like Waves business practice with WUP.
But you probably won't get any plugins that will support old non-supported OS's forever.

But generally good high-end plugin brands like Fabfilter, Tokyo Dawn, Soundtoys, Eventide have a lot better support.

Microsoft is discontinuing support for Windows 7 on Jan 14 which means no more bug-fixes or security patches. A lot of 3rd in party companies moved on from Windows 7/8 and that will continue. The best you can hope for is to be able to continue using whatever software you currently own (license).

Hi all,
ive been using waves plugins for years.
they have recently released a new version which doesn’t play nice with their other version and does not support windows 7.
im not changing os for some plugins.

so

what plugins do you guys recommend that;
don’t have ilock
arent subscription based
wont expire.

when I pay money for something, I want to own it.

thanks
pauly
Call Waves support.

I’ve been with them since the floppy Drive native bundle.

I had the same issue, where I accidently updated based on an email. You don’t have to update, and the previous version will work for a long time.
I explained to them that I’d been sucked into a misleading upgrade, and was going to bail on them. The customer support rep, rolled back all my plugins to to the previous version through Waveshell. Every plug in works just fine.

They’re trying to recoup programming costs for OS changes, and I get that. they’re sneaky, and make you feel forced to upgrade, when it’s not necessary.

Thanks Pinco,
I've been communicating with them since late December on this.
When I finally thought 'fuck it' and went and bought a new SSD and WIndows 10 today, then spent all that time installing and configuring, only to find the same problem.... Well I wasn't (and am not) impressed.
At least I'm now on win 10 so they can't try and blame the config any more.

Thanks
Pauly

Thanks Pinco,
I've been communicating with them since late December on this.
When I finally thought 'fuck it' and went and bought a new SSD and WIndows 10 today, then spent all that time installing and configuring, only to find the same problem.... Well I wasn't (and am not) impressed.
At least I'm now on win 10 so they can't try and blame the config any more.

Thanks
Pauly
Hey Pauly. Don't communicate by email, call the phone number, then straight to tech support. Tell them you want to roll back and that you accidentally updated the plug-ins. They'll update Wave Central, and if you allow remote admin, make all the changes on your computer for you.

I'm not comfortable running multiple versions of Waves stuff depending on what I own, but that's my life, unless/until I do the WUP thing. Not a fan of that whole trip, but their stuff is really good, and mostly just works, and I've built up a lot of it over the years.

hi Dave,
yes that appears to be the problem. I guess the real answer is to just give them more money to make the 20 or so v9 plugins current - or just uninstall the old plugins, and make do without them, looking forward to them all just expiring one day. Sucks that’s going To be so expensive.
thanks
pauly

I'm not comfortable running multiple versions of Waves stuff depending on what I own, but that's my life, unless/until I do the WUP thing. Not a fan of that whole trip, but their stuff is really good, and mostly just works, and I've built up a lot of it over the years.

hi Dave,
yes that appears to be the problem. I guess the real answer is to just give them more money to make the 20 or so v9 plugins current - or just uninstall the old plugins, and make do without them, looking forward to them all just expiring one day. Sucks that’s going To be so expensive.
thanks
pauly
V9 Plugins run fine, side by side V10, just don't accidentally update them.
There's a special installer to roll back, but thats not fun, to say the least.

Been with them since Floppy Disk V1.0 lol

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 5
V9 Plugins run fine, side by side V10, just don't accidentally update them.
This is actually true. They even have instructions on their site, or at least used to, and I think you can get tech support to assist remotely if need be.

Bigger problem for me is that my music machine is Windows 7, which won't be supported or updated in a couple weeks. Not connecting it to the net isn't super practical...

This is actually true. They even have instructions on their site, or at least used to, and I think you can get tech support to assist remotely if need be.

Bigger problem for me is that my music machine is Windows 7, which won't be supported or updated in a couple weeks. Not connecting it to the net isn't super practical...
My Mac kept telling me, that the Logic/Waves Plug-ins were no longer supported blah, blah.
Called them, and I'm currently using all of them in Mohave!
Try not to give up so easily, they just want your money, if you're willing.
My guess is you have a substantial investment, as do I.

well...I guess it depends on what kind of plugins you're dependent on. There are a ton of free plugins, some included in DAWs and other commercial ones. If it's the bread-and-butter plugins you're after, like EQ,Comp ++, I would just use what's included, or get a free one. Doen't mean the results will be any less good. If it's something more exotic you're after, well...you gotta consider a purchase or a subscription.
(also, windows 7 is almost end of life. consider something newer)

Back
Top Bottom