Plugging to Rehearsal Studio PA System

pjrake

Inspired
Just got the Axe FX II and took it to our rehearsal studio (hourly rental place). I went Output 1 1/4" to a Line In channel on the PA. I put the Mic Trim all the way down (to like 9:00), and the fader to "Normal" (U, or 0, or whatever the little line thingy is called on the mixer).

Sounded good, but had to crank the Axe FX Output Level to max and was barely audible with the drums and everyone else. In other words, I ran out of level. Do I:

A) turn up the fader to max (which is like a few more "clicks" or lines) or turn up the trim, or

B) use an XLR cable to the Mic input of the mixer and turn the Mic Trim all the way down, or

C) use a DI Box and adjust the Mic Trim right before it peaks (there was a little "peak" light on the mixer).

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go to the PA system, and eventually to the FOH once I use the Axe FX live.

Any suggestions is appreciated!

PJ

When you say mic trim down to 9:00, do you mean you could turn that up way more (to 5:00 or something)?

When you say mic trim down to 9:00, do you mean you could turn that up way more (to 5:00 or something)?

I'm guessing the Mic Trim is the Mic Input Gain on the mixer. But yeah, I had it all the way down (almost), but was afraid of raising it since the signal from the Axe Fx is already hot.

Should I raise it more? I'll try to get the mixer's model next time and see if there's a manual online. Also, I think it's time to learn how a mixer really works! LOL

PJ

If the signal is too quiet, then turn it up! Well, there is a definite point at which you know the gain is "correct" using the meters on the mixer. Maybe I should do a quick video on Gain Staging basics for mixers :)

I get my cheap Mackie back tomorrow from a tour and can shoot the video!

If the signal is too quiet, then turn it up! Well, there is a definite point at which you know the gain is "correct" using the meters on the mixer. Maybe I should do a quick video on Gain Staging basics for mixers :)

I get my cheap Mackie back tomorrow from a tour and can shoot the video!

Awesome! Thanks \m/

PJ

I use option B) up there. Use a mic cable with the trim all the way down.
Obviously it depends on the mixer/PA, but generally this works best in my experience.

+1 on option B. I do this and the band has a hard time keeping up with my volume. :)

Most mixers have a way to read the input level. Turn the trim up until it peaks (or shows a red light) then back it off a bit. Do that with your loudest lead patch. You should always do that no matter how you are connecting. It's basic mixer level setting. Then use the fader to balance with the others.

I'll just add that on many mixers the 1/4" line in is post the mic pre and that gain control is out of the circuit. Also, most are balanced line in's so if you used a 1/4" unbalanced guitar cable you were shorting half of the differential input and losing signal that way (unless the circuit compensates). The mic pre can color your signal, but it's minimal. I actually use the mic in (your option B) all the time because the snake is wired that way and it saves using 2 DIs and extra cabling. So yeah, option B is usually easiest.

I like to mix with the channel faders around U so I use the input trims to get the initial rough mix vs. the peak then back off method like the consumer mackie desk manual says.

It's personal preference. If you follow the peak then back off, I find the faders are all over the place, some way up some way down. Confuses me. But I know folks that mix like that all the time.

I start with the Master fader at about -3 to -6 and raise the level of the power amps from 0 until I get the SPL level I want in FOH using a C weighted SPL meter playing back -20dbFs pink noise.

The extra 3 to 6 below unity on the master gives me a little more room to push if I want to.

I put the Mic Trim all the way down (to like 9:00), and the fader to "Normal" (U, or 0, or whatever the little line thingy is called on the mixer).
In other words, you turned the mixer channel's input all the way down, and it wasn't loud enough. So turn it back up. :)

Back
Top Bottom