Plugging In to a Power amp Compared to a normal amp.

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hey guys,

This might sound a stupid question but I'm saving up for a mesa power amp for the axe and I plan to buy it next month. I've been borrowing the rehearsal studios marshall head and cab and just running straight in into the front of the amp using the clean channel. It sounds pretty good I get some decent tones from it. I've always had trouble with getting my rhythm and solo sounds to cut thru with the rest of the band. Even with my mesa mark v but I did figure it out eventually. Some patches sound ok but some get lost in the mix. i have various patches that are set to a solo sound and rhythm sound. I'm the only guitarist so it shouldn't be a problem.

I just wondered could it be that I'm plugging into the front of the marshall that's why it sounds that way? And also would I notice a difference having the mesa power amp running things instead of the marshall. Anyone got any tips or can suggest anything?

Many Thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Runing the Axe-Fx amp sims into the front of a guitar amplifier means that the tone is going through another preamp / tonestack.
The manual is very clear that this is not the right way to do it. You probably get extra (undesirable) compression, maybe added gain at the wrong spot and results will suffer.
You should use (if available) the amp's effect loop Return, because that's the input of the power amp section of the head.

When using a dedicated power amp such as the Mesa, results will be better. There's no preamp in that thing. Note that the Mesa is known for coloring the sound, it's not exactly a flat amp, but that might just be what you want.

Runing the Axe-Fx amp sims into the front of a guitar amplifier means that the tone is going through another preamp / tonestack.
The manual is very clear that this is not the right way to do it. You probably get extra (undesirable) compression, maybe added gain at the wrong spot and results will suffer.
You should use (if available) the amp's effect loop Return, because that's the input of the power amp section of the head.

When using a dedicated power amp such as the Mesa, results will be better. There's no preamp in that thing. Note that the Mesa is known for coloring the sound, it's not exactly a flat amp, but that might just be what you want.

Thanks for the reply I thought it wasn't right. Its just some marshall's don't have an fx loop for me to use. Would turning the amp sims off make any difference just till I buy my power amp? I am used to the mesa sound so the "colouring" might be just what I need.

I use the Axe II with a Mesa 2:90 & it sounds great. Yek is right about using the FX return. I run into the FX return of my Zentera combo at home for practice & it sounds great there too. You don't want to double up on pre-amps!

I use the Axe II with a Mesa 2:90 & it sounds great. Yek is right about using the FX return. I run into the FX return of my Zentera combo at home for practice & it sounds great there too. You don't want to double up on pre-amps!

That's what I plan to get the mesa 2:90. So you guys are running the 4CM then?

Thanks for the reply I thought it wasn't right. Its just some marshall's don't have an fx loop for me to use. Would turning the amp sims off make any difference just till I buy my power amp? I am used to the mesa sound so the "colouring" might be just what I need.

Yes, that is what you can do. You would be bypassing the Amp blocks and the Power amp Simulation (Global) menu. This would limit you to the sound(s) of the Marshall itself, and the Axe-Fx would be used just for effects (like a pedalboard).

OTOH, if the sounds you're getting now are alright, just stick to it. :)

If you're based in the UK: already contemplated getting a Matrix instead? Cheaper, lighter and reviews are good.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what you can do. You would be bypassing the Amp blocks and the Power amp Simulation (Global) menu. This would limit you to the sound(s) of the Marshall itself, and the Axe-Fx would be used just for effects (like a pedalboard).

OTOH, if the sound you're getting now are alright, just stick to it. :)

If you're based in the UK: already contemplated getting a Matrix instead? Cheaper, lighter and reviews are good.

I was thinking of the matrix as well but I've always had boogie stuff. So you guys are basically saying to run the 4CM but just don't use the marshals dirty channels. Just let the axe take over?

I was planning to to use the axe just for effects that way on my mark v but I was really surprised with the the amp tones from it. So I thought might as well use the axe for everything lol

Last edited:
Not really the 4CM, but you want to go guitar > AXE FX Input > AXE FX output > Effects Return (on your head if you have one). In this fashion, you're by-passing the Head's preamp, and just entering at the power amp stage. If you don't have an effects return, then you're not going to really get the most out of the AXE. As Yek pointed out, you'll have the AXE amps AND your head's preamp all contributing to your tone. If you have no other choice, then use the Head on the cleanest neutral sound you can get and run the AXE sims that way.

IMO the best way (if you're not going FRFR) is to get a separate power amp and run guitar > AXE > Power amp. The Boogie 2/90 will still give a "boogie flavor" to some point to all your tones, but a more neutral sounding power amp (Matrix, Atomic, VHT, Solid State) will not color the sound as much.

I was thinking of the matrix as well but I've always had boogie stuff. So you guys are basically saying to run the 4CM but just don't use the marshals dirty channels. Just let the axe take over?

I was planning to to use the axe just for effects that way on my mark v but I was really surprised with the the amp tones from it. So I thought might as well use the axe for everything lol

Not really the 4CM, but you want to go guitar > AXE FX Input > AXE FX output > Effects Return (on your head if you have one). In this fashion, you're by-passing the Head's preamp, and just entering at the power amp stage. If you don't have an effects return, then you're not going to really get the most out of the AXE. As Yek pointed out, you'll have the AXE amps AND your head's preamp all contributing to your tone. If you have no other choice, then use the Head on the cleanest neutral sound you can get and run the AXE sims that way.

IMO the best way (if you're not going FRFR) is to get a separate power amp and run guitar > AXE > Power amp. The Boogie 2/90 will still give a "boogie flavor" to some point to all your tones, but a more neutral sounding power amp (Matrix, Atomic, VHT, Solid State) will not color the sound as much.

Thanks for the info I get it now. So will it still work even though there is nothing plugged into the front of the head?

Back
Top Bottom