Plugging directly into nearfield recording monitors for home listening?

Do yourself a favor and get some Focal Alpha 65's or 80's. DO NOT GET ANYTHING REAR-PORTED. Also, DO NOT get anything in the KRK Rokit series. They're known for scooping out mids.

My Rokits (RP6 G2) translate quite well to our PA system - I tend to raise the highs a bit on the PA, but that's all.

I do not think they scoop mids - Here is a measurement (done with calibrated measurement microphone) of my RP6s in my own guitar studio (which has no acoustic treatment)
Test tone to the left, measurement to the right
Frekvensspektrum_Kilde_KRKrokitRP6G2_1024px.jpg

I do not see any dip in the mids - if anything they are a tad bass heavy.

I am thinking about upgrading to some Adams - While the KRKs sound great for guitar (I think), I also think they compress a bit and in that sense, they are a bit more forgiving than I like, and I find it hard to mix on the KRKs because transients are masked by the speaker (or maybe I just don't really hear transients.)

The Yams are rear bass'ed, but I don't see the issue since you need a proper room and distance to have the best sound you can, whatever the monitor.
My aversion to rear-ported monitors is they over-emphasize low end and even more-so in less-than-ideal rooms. Not everyone has the space to keep monitors a few feet away from corners and walls.

My Rokits (RP6 G2) translate quite well to our PA system - I tend to raise the highs a bit on the PA, but that's all.

I do not think they scoop mids - Here is a measurement (done with calibrated measurement microphone) of my RP6s in my own guitar studio (which has no acoustic treatment)
Test tone to the left, measurement to the right
Frekvensspektrum_Kilde_KRKrokitRP6G2_1024px.jpg

I do not see any dip in the mids - if anything they are a tad bass heavy.

I am thinking about upgrading to some Adams - While the KRKs sound great for guitar (I think), I also think they compress a bit and in that sense, they are a bit more forgiving than I like, and I find it hard to mix on the KRKs because transients are masked by the speaker (or maybe I just don't really hear transients.)

I'm speaking from experience in my own setup and mixes I've received from people that use them. Always have to cut lows and highs.

My aversion to rear-ported monitors is they over-emphasize low end and even more-so in less-than-ideal rooms. Not everyone has the space to keep monitors a few feet away from corners and walls.
I understand your point, but it's always the same thing (apart the fact that room control on monitors can adjust low end) :
If it's about getting the greatest sound possible, you just get the space + isolation + monitors + whatever to get it.
If it's for home use with complications (strange or little room, no isolation...), you just end up doing the best you can do.
I stay with my rear ported yam's, and love them :)

I understand your point, but it's always the same thing (apart the fact that room control on monitors can adjust low end) :
If it's about getting the greatest sound possible, you just get the space + isolation + monitors + whatever to get it.
If it's for home use with complications (strange or little room, no isolation...), you just end up doing the best you can do.
I stay with my rear ported yam's, and love them :)
That's cool. Ultimately, it comes down to whatever you like and are comfortable with. If you do get the chance, check out the Focals. They're a little more BUT you'll hear why.

I actually did not know these Focals - I only knew their much more expensive cousins. I think, I will upgrade to a set of Adams fairly soon (properly A5x)

My JBL LSR308 Studio monitors sound great....But how long would they last as guitar speakers I do not know. Would it not make more sense to by one or 2 ALTO or Behringer ten or twelve inch speakers for less money than a good pair of studio monitors. I use my Alto tens for rocking out and save my monitors for mixing.

My JBL LSR308 Studio monitors sound great....But how long would they last as guitar speakers I do not know. Would it not make more sense to by one or 2 ALTO or Behringer ten or twelve inch speakers for less money than a good pair of studio monitors. I use my Alto tens for rocking out and save my monitors for mixing.
Depends on your needs. Well-designed powered studio monitors are designed to gracefully deal with being overdriven. You're not likely to damage them by playing guitar through them.

Stage monitors are designed to handle the rigors of the road while putting out loudness. If you need a speaker to gig with, they're your only choice.

At a given price point, studio monitors are usually more accurate than stage monitors.

There's a chance that your LSR308s are a little underpowered if you're going to play at significant SPL. They're feeding the woofer with 56 watts, so loud transients might sound a bit less snappy than they would be when played through a more powerful monitor. But you're not likely to hurt them. Limiting will kick in before damage is done.

I use a pair of Mackie CR5s and they are an excellent alternative in the affordable side of things.

Don't skimp on monitors. You are using probably the most accurate modeler ever created (after the Axe-Fx II). To put it through inaccurate monitors is a disservice to your ears.
What would you suggest for studio monitor for my axe fx not moore than 1000.00 cad thanks

If you're just using them for home use/practice I think there are plenty of choices under $200.
I just started my research today and was told by GC that the Yamaha HS5 was a good neutral monitor for guitar modeling. What do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom