Plugging directly into nearfield recording monitors for home listening?

There's nothing wrong with using an existing hifi system in your home is there? I have a power amp and speakers (currently fed by a turntable and a CD player) which is high quality (Musical Fidelity integrated amp into a pair of Harbeth speakers). I see no reason why I can't plug an AX8 or AxeFX into my integrated amp (it even has a pair of balanced inputs). Am I missing something here?

by doing this, make sure you don't send too much dynamic into the hifi speakers, they are not made to survive heavy uncompressed transient the unite can produce, you probably won't break them but go easy on the volume and palm mute, you can send a woofer out if his normal travel distance

Reactions: Rex
Every review I've read says the JBL LSR305 is a better speaker all around than the PreSonus Eris E5.

Honestly, they're so cheap, try 'em both out and you decide.

Every review I've read says the JBL LSR305 is a better speaker all around than the PreSonus Eris E5.

Honestly, they're so cheap, try 'em both out and you decide.

It's difficult sometimes to not judge with your wallet...

The LSR305 is of excellent value and is a peer with more expensive competitors and can edge out a good portion of the immediate ones.

There's nothing wrong with using an existing hifi system in your home is there?...Am I missing something here?
What Guillaume said.

Guitar rigs—including Fractal gear—put out hotter transients than home hi-fi gear was meant to take. And people usually play guitar louder than they play recorded music. It's easy to drive a hi-fi amp into clipping, which is bad news for the speakers. Consumer-grade speakers don't handle overdrive gracefully.

I've been using a pair of Genelec's for many years - I think the model is 8040. They sound great to me!

It's difficult sometimes to not judge with your wallet...

The LSR305 is of excellent value and is a peer with more expensive competitors and can edge out a good portion of the immediate ones.

There is a mountain of truth in those words. I bought my son a pair of those JBL LSR305s and they are incredible value IMO. I demoed them along side a lot of monitors - some costing 2-3x more - and they sounded better than anything else at that price point and a lot of more expensive models as well.

Blech. If you are set on "budget" monitors I'd look at the PreSonus Eris.

Cliff, can I ask you if they are better than the JBL 305's and why? I'm between this two monitors as my Ax8 is coming next week and I'm out of cash for anything better... I was going for JBL's but I just read your post...

Thanks!

I had a similar experience when I got my Axe-FX II XL. I didn't like the sound through headphones so I got a pair of Adam A7X monitors which I have been very happy with. Sounds good at low levels so I can play at any time without disturbing the neighbors.

Blech. If you are set on "budget" monitors I'd look at the PreSonus Eris.

I am currently using a pair of these (Eris 8's) for monitoring my AX8 at home and I am supprised at how good the sound is. Better than an L2T I am also using, to my ears. Some of the other monitors mentioned are superior I’m sure, but they’re out of my price range for now. These were reasonable priced. $250 list apiece but I got them for $200 each discounted. As a matter of fact, and at the risk of sounding ridiculous, if I could find a practical way of using these at gigs (for my own stage monitoring) I’d do it.

Several people at Fractal use the Eris. I'd go that route.

Thanks! I see the JBL's are very popular here but after your recommendations I should buy the Eris. Just want some more opinions to be sure. I want to have a good first experience with my AX8.

I have a set of JBL LSR305. I've never seen anything but GLOWING reviews of these guys.

Not super loud, but highly recommended. Especially for the price. GC might still be letting these go for $99/ea
I wouldn't use these - had them and never could get enough volume out.

I now have Yamaha HS7's and they are great. Those or HS8's would be what I recommend. You can get then NIB on eBay for way less than retail - that's what I did.

I wouldn't use these - had them and never could get enough volume out.

I now have Yamaha HS7's and they are great. Those or HS8's would be what I recommend. You can get then NIB on eBay for way less than retail - that's what I did.

Enough volume for what? Hell I can get mine loud enough to play with a drummer.... (not to carry a club room, but to hear myself well in a rehearsal setting)

Back
Top Bottom