Plugging directly into nearfield recording monitors for home listening?

DavidE

Power User
So, headphones didn't work for me to listen to my AX8. Very bright and harsh (tried several and really don't want to buy more). I don't have a recording setup on my computer and I have Bose computer speakers anyway, so that's not really a good way to listen at home either.

A friend is selling a pair of Samson 65a something or other home studio monitors and they have XLR and 1/4" inputs. I wouldn't be hooking them up to my computer, but was wondering if they might be a good way to listen and tweak my AX8 when I don't want to drag in and plug into gigging monitors. Granted, I'd have to make final tweaks on the gig system, but might this work decently for noodling and working on settings at home?

Thanks

I would imagine this is how alot of people use modelling units. I've used KRK Rokit 6s and Equator D5s with my modelling units and both worked fine (although the Equators worked best). On the AX8 and Amplifire, I run both units through an Yamaha AG03 which is connected to the monitors. This allows me to plug the AG03 into my computer for recording and/or playing along with tracks. But running absolutely direct works fine too (it actually sounds a tiny bit "crisper").
-
Austin

It sounds good through my home monitors (Presonus Scepter 8) so I'd imagine any good monitor should give acceptable sound at least. The better the monitor... well, you get it. I don't have issue translating work from home to the stage, but I usually have a preset that already works live as a reference, just to help get in the ball park EQ-wise.

Last edited:
So, headphones didn't work for me to listen to my AX8. Very bright and harsh (tried several and really don't want to buy more). I don't have a recording setup on my computer and I have Bose computer speakers anyway, so that's not really a good way to listen at home either.

A friend is selling a pair of Samson 65a something or other home studio monitors and they have XLR and 1/4" inputs. I wouldn't be hooking them up to my computer, but was wondering if they might be a good way to listen and tweak my AX8 when I don't want to drag in and plug into gigging monitors. Granted, I'd have to make final tweaks on the gig system, but might this work decently for noodling and working on settings at home?

Thanks

Just a quick note on the Samson 65a's. I used to have a pair several years back and, although I thought they were ok for the money, I don't think they really do justice to high-end modelers such as the Ax8. I replaced them with a set of Adam A7x's, and the difference was remarkable -- I'd equate it to the difference between an old Pod and the current high end modelers. So, I'd be sure to give them a good long listen, ideally in the room you'd be using them in and with the gear you'd be running through them, before committing to them (or any other monitors, for that matter).

Just a quick note on the Samson 65a's. I used to have a pair several years back and, although I thought they were ok for the money, I don't think they really do justice to high-end modelers such as the Ax8. I replaced them with a set of Adam A7x's, and the difference was remarkable -- I'd equate it to the difference between an old Pod and the current high end modelers. So, I'd be sure to give them a good long listen, ideally in the room you'd be using them in and with the gear you'd be running through them, before committing to them (or any other monitors, for that matter).

Thank you Art. It would make sense to plug into them before buying but my damaged in shipping AX8 is in the hands of UPS and I don't expect to receive the replacement until some time in January since it appears they won't be back until January 4. These are only $100 so it's not a terrible risk. I know there are better monitors, but if they'll be ok that may be good enough. I like Rick's idea of having gig tested models to test against. That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks

A lot of people like the Adam A7's. I've seen those monitors listed by a lot of guys using modelers over the years.

Yeah, but a much bigger investment for a single purpose. Not what I'm looking to do. Unless you can find me a pair of used ones for $100. :))

I would pass on these, and at a very minimum get some Yamaha HS50/HS80s or something similar. Sorry, but $100 won't get you speakers that are any good.

I would pass on these, and at a very minimum get some Yamaha HS50/HS80s or something similar. Sorry, but $100 won't get you speakers that are any good.

They were $300 new, but I am going to pass. Spoke with my friend and he said they have a big bump in the mids. Even listening to pre-recorded music he had to use some severe eq to get them to sound good. He scored this pair for only $80 and they're really clean in the box so he'd sell them to me for that. Good dude and one of the best bass players I've ever played with.

I'd spend the bucks on higher end monitors if I was recording, but for these purposes I'll just hook up the gigging monitors.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I know you were talking direct, but I have my Mackie 824's running through Logic Pro X and my iMac, and I was pretty frustrated with them until I upgraded my interface to the Apogee Duet. Brought them to life and they sound wonderful. So the interface is very important as well if you are not going direct. Looking forward to getting an AX8 to run through the system.

Clears what up?
Messing with Chris... he put a post in here that was intended for another thread. He got the last laugh when he removed it!
Recommendations?
As I mentioned, the Presonus Scepters (I have the 8s) sound great, they are about $1500 a pair new. The Dynaudio BM5A and BM6A also sound great with this unit. Those are the two brands I have tried. I have some older Genelecs here but haven't used them with the Axe Fx.

Back
Top Bottom