Plini - Handmade Cities

I'm here to make a little update for this thread. I've been a big Plini fan for a long time. Love his style!

I just found a Helix Native presets from Facebook, that were shared by Plinis Bassist. He mixed etc. the Salt + Charcoal Single. They used Helix Native for all the guitar tracks on that record. But I think this will help a lot of you guys to get in the same ballpark, when you know what blocks you'll need.

So to give some hint about what Plini has going on in his signalflow :

-Friedman BE
-Mesa V30 Cab
-Engl V30 Cab
-Tubescreamer for Clean boost. Tone to 10
-Ping Pong Delay for Lead
-Hall Reverb for Lead
-Compressor for Lead (in front of the TS)

Use single coil or Coil-Split Pickups.

Last edited:
@DropTheSun I want to thank you for these Plini presets, yesterday I tried them and was so submerged that I came late to pick up my daughter from karate class (nothing serious, just a few minutes) sometimes I am a little disaster hahaha!

Last edited:
Reactions: DTS
So I got to try out the patch last night. I really like it! The Friedman scenes sound particularly woody and warm. I will definitely need to tame the low end for it to sit well in a mix, but I am for sure using it.

Reactions: DTS
I'm here to make a little update for this thread. I've been a big Plini fan for a long time. Love his style!

I just found a Helix Native presets from Facebook, that were shared by Plinis Bassist. He mixed etc. the Salt + Charcoal Single. They used Helix Native for all the guitar tracks on that record. But I think this will help a lot of you guys to get in the same ballpark, when you know what blocks you'll need.

So to give some hint about what Plini has going on in his signalflow :

-Friedman BE
-Mesa V30 Cab
-Engl V30 Cab
-Tubescreamer for Clean boost. Tone to 10
-Ping Pong Delay for Lead
-Hall Reverb for Lead
-Compressor for Lead (in front of the TS)

Use single coil or Coil-Split Pickups.
Could you share those Helix Native guitar presets? that would be awesome!

For anyone interested in his tone, you could definitely reverse engineer it most easily by getting the free trial version of his Neural plugin, loading his song-specific presets, and building elements one at a time.

And if you’re as impressed with the plugin as I was you might end up buying the full version like I did lol

I follow this guy pretty closely. I've seen him post on his instagram when he does those "Ask a question" type posts and a number of people have asked him for his live settings (myself included).

I've only managed to gather that one of the amps he uses is the "5153 50W Blue" & "4x12 Recto Cab" (not sure which mic) - and obviously I have no idea about how specific dials are tuned.

Hope that helps someone - but I would also throw money at my screen for an STL Tones like release with a few song specific presets included.

Last edited:
I follow this guy pretty closely. I've seen him post on his instagram when he does those "Ask a question" type posts and a number of people have asked him for his live settings (myself included).

I've only managed to gather that one of the amps he uses is the "5153 50W Blue" & "4x12 Recto Cab" (not sure which mic) - and obviously I have no idea about how specific dials are tuned.

Hope that helps someone - but I would also throw money at my screen for an STL Tones like release with a few song specific presets included.
https://neuraldsp.com/products/archetype-plini/

Very aware this exists, but my understanding of the point of this specific thread was to get those tones in the Axe FX - as opposed to just using a plugin.
Was meant as a reply to you wanting song specific presets (in a vst format?), it has an electric sunrise and selenium forest presets among others. As far as tones in the axe he's said his presets are deceptively simple, I remember someone saying he even used the stock recto(?) preset with very minor tweaks but generally you want a warmer tone to be in the ballpark so back off the treble on whatever gainy amp you settle on

Quickly decided to see how close I could get to the selenium forest lead. With the 5153 at nearly default with one of the stock recto cabs I was like 95% of the way there, preset included just adjust for your guitar (i was using a hollow body ibanez for reference). Scene 1 is rhythm scene 2 is lead, please excuse the playing as well I learned the line on the fly :sweatsmile:

Attachments

• Selenium Forest.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 87
Quickly decided to see how close I could get to the selenium forest lead. With the 5153 at nearly default with one of the stock recto cabs I was like 95% of the way there, preset included just adjust for your guitar (i was using a hollow body ibanez for reference). Scene 1 is rhythm scene 2 is lead, please excuse the playing as well I learned the line on the fly :sweatsmile:

Sounds good !!!
I actually compared it side by side with the plugin i thought i reaaly liked :)
Made quite a lot of tweaks , added a huge ambient / space reverb, and i like it way better than the plugin now !

Back
Top Bottom