Plexi. Who's got one?

squealie

Experienced
Those of us who've owned a fire-breathing Marshall...you know what I'm talking about.

Anyone got a preset, or a recipe for ripping plexi tones? Particularly through a big SS power amp and 4x12s?

I'd start with the 100W Plexi model of your liking, and play it loud enough so that the feedback gives more lower mids. Clean it up with the amp EQ after you're satisfied with the amount of lower mid "thump" you get from palm mutes. IMO, this is the way to get a Plexi to truly shine - without the slight feedback, I find them to sound a bit harsh. On a real Plexi, this is achieved automatically due to the high output from the amp, though playing through it from another room defeats it.

Particularly through a big SS power amp and 4x12s?

My experience w/ the Plexi models are that they are VERY sensitive to the IR you use. In this case it's your power amp & Cab .... So, if your Cab is great, then you should have no problem getting what you're looking for !

I live in the Marshalls. :) Sometimes one of the Plexi options, other times one
of the JCM800 options. They sound SOOOOOOOO good with a band live.

I used a single FM3 Preset last night at rehearsal with the band. First time with the 5.02
firmware and I pulled up my main Brit800 based preset and stayed on it ALL NIGHT! We
cover a ton of ground, too---from a country ballad to modern rock and contemporary metal to
some of the standard classics. I was blown away more than ever by how good it sounded,
and how EVERY frequency sat perfectly in the mix, while also having this fluid feel under
my fingers. I could get every level of gain and volume I needed by simply altering the volume
and tone controls on the guitar. It was f'ing glorious!

Being able to get all kinds of shades and variety of tone and presence with my hands it
was just sol much fun to play last night.

I have not tried all of the plexis, but I find myself gravitating more to the Atomica when I want a Marshall tone. That said, I'd really love to hear how some of you are dialing in your plexis, because I might just be doing it wrong.

Reactions: RDH
I have not tried all of the plexis, but I find myself gravitating more to the Atomica when I want a Marshall tone. That said, I'd really love to hear how some of you are dialing in your plexis, because I might just be doing it wrong.

I dig the Atomicas and Cornfords and Herbies---all of which are kind of modified Marshall circuits
of one sort or another. But man, when I get with the rest of the guys at rehearsal nothing slices
and dices and feels as good under my fingers as a Superlead or one of the 800s. :)

I hear those modified Marshalls (you, too, Friedman!) as smoother and more compressed, and not
as raspy and open as an actual Marshall. Sometimes those are more fun to play if I am just riffing
alone. I have yet to enjoy them as much in the mix of another band with another guitarist as I do
the Marshalls.

They truly are a unique beast. Really open sound. Very defined note separation, even when dimed and boosted.

If I lived alone in a forest I would buy a JMP full stack and make every bird in a 2 mile radius go deaf. Sadly my family haven't bought into this idea yet, so I just have to enjoy the odd psychedelic flashback with my Afx3 and pretend I'm playing in front of 60,000 hippies in my mind.

They truly are a unique beast. Really open sound. Very defined note separation, even when dimed and boosted.

If I lived alone in a forest I would buy a JMP full stack and make every bird in a 2 mile radius go deaf. Sadly my family haven't bought into this idea yet, so I just have to enjoy the odd psychedelic flashback with my Afx3 and pretend I'm playing in front of 60,000 hippies in my mind.
If a Plexi was dimed in the woods, would anyone hear it?

If you are playing through 4x12s with a SS power amp, you need the right speakers. They only sound completely "plexi" with pre-Rola Celestions (the reissues are also really good), and you have 4 choices between the voice coil "weight" and the resonant bass frequency. My personal preference is for the G12H 75Hz, which is kind of oddball. I somehow got given a late '60s (not Marshall) cab with those speakers in it in about 1995 (didn't want it with an amp purchase, but a friend was collecting, and was persuaded to take it to me for free). I then used that cab for the next 10 years+ of gigging without realising it sounded completely magical, and sold it...

Fortunately the Axe FX III and a pair of half decent headphones allows us to scroll through the G12s in H, M, 55Hz and 75 Hz IR versions - mine are supplemented by ML Sound Labs IRs because I particularly like them, but pretty sure there are some of each in the Factory cabs nowadays. The G12H 75Hz IRs sound like my old cab, and I love them for it.

My 2 main gigging amps in the pre-Fractal tube world were a metal face '77 JMP 50 watt #1987 converted to '68 (ish) plexi specification, and a '80 JMP 100 watt 2203 Master Volume. I still have both, but I don't have that cab anymore, in fact only have a '79 Marshall 1960A cab with G12T 75 watt speakers in it. Great sounding, but all bottom and top (kind of Fender'ish to my ears), and lacks the warm low mids of some of the older cabs I enjoyed and foolishly sold. (Owning lots of 4x12 cabs and 2x12 combos is not conducive to a happy marriage when living in a fairly small house. ;) )

As far as the amps are concerned, they all sound good to me since Cygnus was rolled out, and only got better. I used to be really selective about the models (and if I remember right there is a Plexi 2203 in there? Honestly, no such amp ever left the factory, but more than a few people made equivalents by modification). Plexi 100 Jump would be my starting point, keep channel 1 up, channel 2 down lower, and neither ever above the 1/2 way point. I like the Presence control way up, it makes the amps even more open as it limits the negative feedback circuit interaction. Plexi 6CA7 is also a "go to" for me. JCM800 2203 sounds like a 2203, and it's not a Plexi, but it's pretty amazing. The model is very close to the real amp nowadays, which is good if you know how to use one, but can be a bit brutal sounding while you are getting it figured out.

Then play with IRs, and you'll wish you had some of those old Celestion speakers in your 4x12s! At least 75% of the Plexi magic was in the speaker cabs in my humble opinion.

Most of all, if you're not sure if it sounds as good as it can, turn it up a bit. It's what Marshalls were made for!

Liam

This is the way. Mixed with the York Audio M25 mix 3 for me, really lets you hear the honk and bark.

Well damn.

Just bought that cab pack, tried it with the Brit 800 Mod (I've been meaning to get into Marshalls, I usually play very high gain metal amps).

There goes my afternoon. What a phenomenal IR. Thank you for the suggestion, I can't stop playing!

If you are playing through 4x12s with a SS power amp, you need the right speakers. They only sound completely "plexi" with pre-Rola Celestions (the reissues are also really good), and you have 4 choices between the voice coil "weight" and the resonant bass frequency.

At least 75% of the Plexi magic was in the speaker cabs in my humble opinion.

^^ THIS !! ^^

Back
Top Bottom