Plexi v 800 models

Random Hero

Inspired
Is it just me or are the Plexi models - I usually use the 100W High model - a little more smoothed off on the top than the Brit 800? Maybe it's with the master being on 10, they're more compressed?
The 800 has a bit more of that extreme sizzle and kerning on very similar settings (Normally bass low, mids cranked and treble and presence around 6/7.) This is with the master on the 800 up to around 6 or 7.

Is there a Plexi model I'm missing that I should try over the 100w High? I LOVE it but sometimes I want more of that kerrang!

Maybe the plexi 2204, or the brit 800 #34 ?
They might feel like something between a plexi and a jcm800.

I mean, I'm splitting hairs here. I love the models, especially in a mix but like most of us, I'm forever searching for the next thing!

Not sure if Cygnus will enhance this, but I miss that punch low end in most of the gainy Marshall amps. I use the PEQ as a compromise...I am a big fan of Michael Schenker's late JCM800 2205 tone....That thing has the growl and clarity together!

I have a JCM800 2205 I haven’t powered up in years. Maybe this weekend…

Some of the Plexi models are really hard to get a clean sound from and the 800 has way more distortion than a real one, but it sounds good. Maybe there's a way to change volume control tapers I am missing.

Is it just me or are the Plexi models - I usually use the 100W High model - a little more smoothed off on the top than the Brit 800? Maybe it's with the master being on 10, they're more compressed?
The 800 has a bit more of that extreme sizzle and kerning on very similar settings (Normally bass low, mids cranked and treble and presence around 6/7.) This is with the master on the 800 up to around 6 or 7.

Is there a Plexi model I'm missing that I should try over the 100w High? I LOVE it but sometimes I want more of that kerrang!
I started writing a reply yesterday to this saying I agreed with it.
Then I powered my Axe and just played the Plexi 100w amp louder. Suddenly I had what I was lacking. - specifically the Cliffs of Dover factory preset.

(Not insanely loud playing and not way louder than usual. Just a tad like 10%)
Now the only thing I feel the preset lacks for me is more reverb and delay in the mix. But that’s easily solved. :)

Some of the Plexi models are really hard to get a clean sound from and the 800 has way more distortion than a real one, but it sounds good. Maybe there's a way to change volume control tapers I am missing.
Have you tried lowering the input trim on the ideal page of the amp block. This should work if you are looking for a cleaner sound.

I have indeed. I think the main issue I have is the very narrow lower range of the volume controls, opposite of Marshall with a very narrow range on the high range, so I fine tune a lot, especially if using real pedals.

Back
Top Bottom