Plexi 100watt 1970....is something wrong with it now?

randombastage

Experienced
It used to be my favorite since around 'Quantum' versions started rolling out. Now my go-to Plexi preset sucks like carpet over the speaker old Boss COSM kind of suckage...
I've struggled with it, reset amp blocks etc. and now I even tried building a new one, basically copied a different preset with similar effects layout but installed the amp and cab block that used to be my go-to Plexi and it still sucks.

Could it be something got borked in the recent upgrades?

Can you record a sample of the same amp, same settings, same IR, using both firmwares?

It will help the community understand the issue

I don't think so, I physically switched it to another and then reselected the original type but I'll look into the editor options to make sure I'm not missing a new procedure.
It weird because other presets with other amp types have been getting incrementally better with the latest firmware updates but that preset was doing the opposite.
I switched to the 100 Watt High amp for now so its no big deal but I thought maybe my preset was corrupted but starting over didn't change anything so that wasn't the case.

Newer isn't always better. :) I remember when the Friedman HBE was "updated" and there was a bit of an uproar over it, so much so that the original version was added back in in addition to the new version.

Strange. All of my Plexi presets sound markedly better, as if carpet had been removed. I recorded all of my Q6 presets onto a track in Reaper before I upgraded, then recorded them on an adjacent track with Q7 (amps reset) so I could directly compare. All of the Q7 versions sound better.

I'd first check to make sure you didn't have the Amp block graphic eq adjusted to a non-flat curve on your original presets. The curve will be set flat when you re-select the amp model in Q7. I had to re-create all the eq curves for the new presets to sound as I wanted. I wish the amp eq was left out of the list of parameters that are reset when selecting an amp model.

i hadn't cared much for the 70 plexi at first. seemed a bit too dark and wooly for my taste but thanks for posting this. I've loaded it into my main Plexi preset and fell in love with it. All I changed from the default was treble and bass went up to about 7 and I'm using a Celestion IR. The V30 mix (hi-gain, all mics + room in mono). wow. Try it, I think you'll love it

I've never cared for that model nor the actual amp. IMO it doesn't have enough feedback (100K off the 4-ohm tap). Some amps of that era had 47K off the 4-ohm tap. Some had 47K off the 8-ohm tap. Some had 100K off the 8-ohm tap and some even had 47K off the 16-ohm tap! IOW all over the map.

Bottom line: try adjusting Negative Feedback. I always raise it up a bit with that model. Around 4 or so.

Back
Top Bottom