Please validate this complex routing setup

fuzzyoctaves

Inspired
I'm trying to wrap my head around this before I get the magic ticket for the III.
I am trying to integrate an HXFX and two separate pedal chains with the Axe. Being able to accomplish this is a key reason for the upgrade from my Axefx II.
My goals:
1. Use the HXFX for its drives, and one of its loops for external fuzz.
2. Use the HXFX for some of its stereo effects after the Axe's Amp/Cab.
3. Use a loop in the Axe for additional stereo pedals.
4. Route the signal through SPDIF out to my interface
5. Route the interface's SPDIF to the Axe in and switch the input from instrument to SPDIF for reamping.

I'd love to know if this will work as I planned, and/or if there is a better way to accomplish my goals. Thanks for any help with this. I hope it is a fun puzzle :)

Here's my cable routing and a sample AxeFx patch diagram:

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 5.11.59 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 8.28.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 8.28.56 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 11.46.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 11.46.00 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
to each his own, I can't imagine wanting to run HX fx instead of the Fractal stuff....you just have no idea how much further the III is beyond the II at this point.

Guys. I am a fractal fanboy too. This will be my 3rd AxeFx. But, there are some effects in the hxfx that are not easily replicated in the axe. Beyond that, the hxfx gives me 6 buttons that can be used pretty flexibly. I’ll probably end up getting the fm6, but I won’t need the fm12. Also, I can easily max cpu on my II...

Nonsense.

Yeah, the CPU is certainly a major value prop for the III. I really enjoy complex patches that push the boundaries of replicating the old into creating net new sounds and ways to manipulate them. Curious to see what it takes to max the III's CPU.

I made a slight correction to the sample patch layout.

From your description I think you'd probably want an Out 3 block after the cab block, with Out 3 connected to HXFX return 1. With the routing you posted, In2-Amp-Cab wouldn't be in the signal chain while the In 3 block is engaged.

Nonsense.

Sorry, I'll rephrase: For me, it was easy to max out CPU on the III Mk II within a week of its arrival. That is not to say/imply that the III does less than the II. The type of person that maxes out CPU on the II may have similar tendencies when they get the III.

From your description I think you'd probably want an Out 3 block after the cab block, with Out 3 connected to HXFX return 1. With the routing you posted, In2-Amp-Cab wouldn't be in the signal chain while the In 3 block is engaged.

I might be missing something, but this routing scheme depends on just using the input (in 3) without a corresponding output. Just like with an amp's effect loop, I can use the return without using the send - right?

I might be missing something, but this routing scheme depends on just using the input (in 3) without a corresponding output. Just like with an amp's effect loop, I can use the return without using the send - right?

You can, but the amp & cab block (and signal arriving at input 2) wouldn't be part of the signal path with that routing (unless you bypassed the In 3 block). Your only signal path from Axe to HXFX is Out 2 which would be the clean DI guitar sound from the Input 1 block.

You can, but the amp & cab block (and signal arriving at input 2) wouldn't be part of the signal path with that routing (unless you bypassed the In 3 block). Your only signal path from Axe to HXFX is Out 2 which would be the clean DI guitar sound from the Input 1 block.

Ah - thanks. I see it now. I guess I'll have to lose one of the pedal loops.

I updated the drawing accordingly.

Last edited:
There's no need for a physical cable between Output 1 and s/pdif (as shown in your diagram).
Also, nothing will ever work by plugging an output straight into another output. To keep a signal flowing it must always be In>Out>In>Out>In etc.

like what? i'm always up for a challenge...

Awesome attitude - you are such a great asset to the community Simeon! I have learned a lot from studying your delay presets.

Part of what I am talking about is the ease of using a given effect. For example, Pattern Trem - I'm sure this is replicable with sequencer, but nowhere as easy to pull up and tweak. ParticleVerb is another that could probably be done, but might need multiple blocks.

The non HXFX challenge that I could never replicate properly is the Carbon Copy delay. I could never get the first repeat to have the same washed out sound. I could also never replicate the same musical self-oscillation when knob twisting.

Those three are things that I use often. I'm away from my studio now, but I know there are others I'd love to see your solutions to. Maybe you could throw up a challenge thread? Seems like it would be fun and educational.

we'd need good soundclips to stand a chance of getting close. it might be fun if you start the thread, so that lots of folks can have a crack at it

also remember that the power of the axe fx lies in it's ability to create almost anything you can think of. it's flexibility is it's strength. you may not be given a particle verb, but you can make one...and tons of others as well

btw, i think we already had a stab at the particle verb and the pattern trem. might be worth a search (but they'l be for the II, i suspect)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom