Please take my studio lead patch and translate it for live use!! (Calling Scott)

ari

Inspired
Hey all, haven't gigged with the Axe much as i don't have an mfc and was enjoying it too much at home and recording. Here's the thing though, last I tried, I couldn't translate my favorite lead sound (a USA lead 2 with a cali cab and royer mic) for live use, even with bumping up mids i just couldn't get it going. So here's my request/challenge-I'm attaching my lead preset (nothing fancy or recent so shouldn't be a problem in Axe-Edit or newer/older software). I'm running 9.01b squared or something. Please take this preset and help me make it useful for live use. I have a jbl powered monitor, a power engine 60, guitar cabs with EV and Vintage 30 speakers, and a mesa 2:90 (i'd prefer not to use that one too much more), and will also be purchasing another solid state power amp in the near future.
The patch has a wah on external 1, and an fx loop for running 2 separate outs thats not engaged. Thanks in advance-i really want to sound this good at live volume!

Ari

View attachment Ari Studio Lead.syx

Last edited:
problem is no-one is going to have exactly the same gear as you and you don't say what's wrong with it. one man's meat is another man's potato. the only thing to do is play at volume...figure out what's wrong with it and tweak it so it sounds good. you'll have to put the work in yourself, i'm afraid.

problem is no-one is going to have exactly the same gear as you and you don't say what's wrong with it. one man's meat is another man's potato. the only thing to do is play at volume...figure out what's wrong with it and tweak it so it sounds good. you'll have to put the work in yourself, i'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply, simeon, but when people post problems about their sounds on the site, I have seen Scott and others ask to send a preset to try and examine what the story is, and this is just about translating live, If it sounds great to them it will probably work for me so i'd love someone to take a crack at it-Thanks!

Tinny, doesn't feel full sounding, doesn't give with the band at full volume like my amps, etc. I have boosted mids and have tried other things in the past... The louder the band gets the worse my studio patches sound etc. Gain is fine I trim down the gain at live volume. Thanks!

A few things:

-NO WAY to tweak for Live unless you do it LOUD (gig volume.)
-It doesn't sound like you don't fit well in the band mix. Just boosting mids might not be enough.
-It will be nearly impossible for us to 'fix' this for you. Guitar differences, what your band sounds like, differences in playing style...all of these contribute.

Things to try:
-Set up a few different presets to try during the soundcheck/practice. Ditch your studio patches and use some of the similar sounding factory (and Axechange) presets and see if they might work better.
-Ditch the mics on all of these...or use the 121/SM57 trick with micing (stereo and those 2 mics). But I've found that I significantly reduce the amount of tweaking I have to do just by only using the IR, and not futz with the mics.
-What sounds good by itself is absolutely no guarantee it will sound good in the mix. If it sounds thin, put a EQ after your cab, and tweak the sliders...remember a little goes a LONG way. I'd say work lower mids.

Good luck.

R

Thanks Ron, I will try those routes. Theres nothing so unique about what it do, i play funk, and loud rock in a loud club date band (think 80s and early 90s type stuff) and do some shredding. I have a suhr modern and an esp, nothing too out of the ordinary. Would love someone to try this patch on their own rig and see what happens....thanks again

i loaded it up in the studio

first thing i would say is change the cab. try one of the rectos, or use a stereo cab and use both recto's or a recto and the 1960a. it's way too scooped at the moment...more like a rhythm patch

secondly, if you're using a real amp and cab with this, you have the fx loop block in the wrong place. you need to place it before the cab block, so the audio is tapped off without being cab simulated first

you've done some stuff to the advanced parameters to kill the high end (i reset the amp block and had a listen). once reset, i just turned off the bright switch and it was fine (with a different cab)

you also have a very weird delay setting, but that's just personal taste, i guess...

Thanks so much! I was running a FRFR with this patch but I used the fx loop do I could alter eq on my monitor with output2. The delay works great for my recording purposes! I would change to a smaller one live and I'll try the recto cab. Thanks and I'll get back to u!

Well Here's some of my 2cents. I have JBL monitors and JBL FRFR Speakers and they always end up sounding really harsh. This is probably the sound you are hearing and whats cutting through the mix. Live there is probably a different speaker setup or cab, etc.. These are probably giving you more of the lows and stuff you want but not allowing you to hear those harsh mix cutting frequencies you are used to. This is just my guess on whats happening cause I had the same problem. Like everyone else is saying, you are going to have to make a "live" preset and dial it in, at volume, on your live setup. There is a X and a Y setting on your presets. Try and dial in the "Y" for your live. That way you dont have to "ruin" your studio/recording settings and when it comes time its just a button to get your sound out live.

Back
Top Bottom