Please recommend me monitors for live use

Get two Clr's and you're set.
Played with them in our metal band Ostrogoth last night while everyone else was using ENGL's and all that....
I got a nice clear sound all across the stage, didn't need anything in my monitors
MySetup.png

Played with them in our metal band Ostrogoth last night while everyone else was using ENGL's and all that....
I got a nice clear sound all across the stage, didn't need anything in my monitors
MySetup.png

That's not entirely true. If you are referring to Ostrogoth's performance on Metal Fest Geel? I also played that night with Objector and both our guitar players used an Axe-Fx II with FRFR monitors (I use Matrix CFR 12's) ;) Nice setup, I generally place my monitors on top of each other, but your setup on top of the cases seems more convenient.

Atomic CLR's are great... flat, powerful, and nearly studio quality, but expensive. ~$999

QSC K series have over-hyped low end and somewhat harsh high end... mid priced $799

EV ZLX12P are great sounding speaker... powerful, lightweight, can double as PA cabs ( which is what they really are ).. and only about $399 each...

I, personally, have a pair of the Atomic CLR's as my personal guitar / vocal monitors, and a pair of the EV Z:X12P's as front end PA speakers... I originally bought a QSC K12, but returned it for the reasons stated above, plus I could buy TWO of the EV ZLX's for about the same price as 1 QSC K12...

I have a pair of the EV ZLX-12p's as well. They sound wonderful. I sat at length in my local GC and compared them to the QSC K12 with program music and the differences were so minor that I couldn't justify paying double for the QSC's. I got them home and they made dialing in patches a breeze on the Axe and they translate well to any room that I have played in. I have mine mounted on poles in my music room so that they are hitting me like a PA system would and with a few minor tweaks to the settings(Live, Pole, Lo Cut at 100) my patches sound the same at home and at venues I play at.

That's a good point... If the monitors are way higher quality than typical pa speakers... Maybe it would be better to dial your patches on something closer to the pa speakers. Sounds reasonable but I don't think my GAS will allow this.

MySetup.png

Very nice guitar collection as well!

I have a pair of the EV ZLX-12p's as well. They sound wonderful. I sat at length in my local GC and compared them to the QSC K12 with program music and the differences were so minor that I couldn't justify paying double for the QSC's. I got them home and they made dialing in patches a breeze on the Axe and they translate well to any room that I have played in. I have mine mounted on poles in my music room so that they are hitting me like a PA system would and with a few minor tweaks to the settings(Live, Pole, Lo Cut at 100) my patches sound the same at home and at venues I play at.
It's posts like your that talked me off the fence with the EV ZLX-12P's I own. You can pick them up new for $340 or sometimes less if you bundle it with something else (like a Kemper, in my case).

I was thinking about selling them because I had a really hard time dialing out the high-mid spikey-ness and the sweet spot on these is not very large. But I discovered that running them in stereo and too close together at your feet really exaggerates that spike and things get much better by separating them a bit or running them on poles in studio monitor-style positioning.

It's taken a while, but I finally have them where I like the sound of them on both the Kemper (Pure Cab helps a ton) and the AmpliFIRE.

Hopefully, I'll be able to hear the AX8 through them soon.

Ditto. I've been ising QSC K10s for about 3 years now. No issues. They sound good, are reliable and light! If you're using it as a stage monitor, what people hear will (usually) be coming from the mains anyway. I tend to not fuss about stage monitors too much, as long as I can hear and it sounds good. It may not sound "fantastic" but Your stage monitor makes a pretty small contribution to the overall sound. I recently added a wireless in-ear system to my rack, and at venues that have a competent soundman, I don't even use a guitar cab.

You can spend a lot more money for something that will only make a marginal difference in your sound. I know... I'm sure the Friedman and the CLRs, etc sound great, but when I record, I go direct. When I play live, what people hear is the mains (usually mono) in the hands of a sound man. I'd rather spend the extra cash on another cool guitar :).
This is a good observation .... but only up to a point.

For larger gigs with a decent PA I'm also in the mindset that with FRFR I'm only monitoring a 'version' of the FOH sound that's coming out the mains .... which are a lot different speakers/cabs to what any FRFR cab you might use. At best you can hope that the 2 sound similar.

However, for smaller gigs the FRFR sound from your monitors is more critical as 'loud' backline - so whatever you get they do need to sound good at higher volumes. At lower volumes with a good PA doing all the FOH work they will sound a bit different using your same 'loud' dialled in presets - but they'll hopefully still be decent enough to monitor with and get speaker/guitar interaction.

I've only just got my FRFR thing sorted out after playing with conventional cabs up to now - took a while (about a year!) to find something that worked for me in form factor, sound and cost.

I won't go into more details here on my choice of cabs - as they

a) aren't the commonly praised big name makes/models pimped by users here

b) they were originally concepted for use with a Kemper :hororr:

c) They involve DIY - which usually puts people off as they doubt the quality will be good enough

d) they're made up with EU based parts so US/Rest of world users wouldn't be that interested due to import duties/shipping/returns hassles .

.. but I already posted about them in the Amps and Cabs section a couple of days back - they work for me - but different strokes ... etc ;)

That's not entirely true. If you are referring to Ostrogoth's performance on Metal Fest Geel? I also played that night with Objector and both our guitar players used an Axe-Fx II with FRFR monitors (I use Matrix CFR 12's) ;) Nice setup, I generally place my monitors on top of each other, but your setup on top of the cases seems more convenient.
Damn, I missed your gig.
I was hoping to meet you guys!

Back
Top Bottom