Please recommend me a pickup

parlopower

Inspired
I have a Schecter Reaper 6 FR with Schecter Decimator pickups. The neck pickup is ok, I always use the coil split on the neck anyway and the Decimator's single coil tone is nice. However, I don't like the bridge pickup. Too hot (I think somewhere like 18kOhm), it's got a mid range kind-of-nasal tone I don't like, and the string separation is not good.
I am looking for recommendations for a open, transparent, rather bright bridge pickup with medium output (maybe 10-12 kOhm) and good string separation. Brand does not matter.

I have a Schecter Reaper 6 FR with Schecter Decimator pickups. The neck pickup is ok, I always use the coil split on the neck anyway and the Decimator's single coil tone is nice. However, I don't like the bridge pickup. Too hot (I think somewhere like 18kOhm), it's got a mid range kind-of-nasal tone I don't like, and the string separation is not good.
I am looking for recommendations for a open, transparent, rather bright bridge pickup with medium output (maybe 10-12 kOhm) and good string separation. Brand does not matter.
Lawrence/Wilde L500L or L500XL, or one of their 6H or 8H L90 pickups ought to get you where you want to be.

https://www.wildepickups.com

Guitar fetish. Because they do sound decent and at their prices you can try out quite a lot of them and not go oh crap if its not to your liking.

Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell.

Love this pickup - kinda classic paf with better string balance and separation

Lawrence/Wilde L500L or L500XL, or one of their 6H or 8H L90 pickups ought to get you where you want to be.

https://www.wildepickups.com

Amazing lead tone but chords notes smear together

Guitar fetish. Because they do sound decent and at their prices you can try out quite a lot of them and not go oh crap if its not to your liking.

they do have some great sounding pickups for the price, but after trying bare knuckle, they're not quite in the same league

Dimarzio Evolution is bright like the lawerence l500 but better with chords

Dimarzio Fred is my favorite bridge pu out of the 6 or 8 dimarzios I've tried

All of that being said, the bridge, the wood, the scale length etc.... can make these sound quite different o_O

Also forgot to mention - I love the dimarzio transition set. bright, les mids (kinda between a single coil and humbucker imo)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
So a lot of you suggest Bare Knuckles. That was one of my thoughts, too, since I have used the Blue Note P90 (neck) in two of my guitars and loved it. Thank you Tahoebrian5 for mentioning the VH2. BK advertises them pretty exactly with all the buzzwords I mentioned in my original post: Crystal clear highs, vintage hot (=medium?) output, great string separation.
I think that is the one I will go for.
Thanks again to everybody!

they do have some great sounding pickups for the price, but after trying bare knuckle, they're not quite in the same league

I have some bare knuckles in some of my guitars, I can't say they are worth the price difference. But then again I do not have the Golden Ears of the Gods. The Kwikplug system is nice though to quickly swap out pickups.

Gibson and Seymour Duncan make reliably good humbuckers of every flavor at a fair price point. Pickups are just magnets, copper wire and sometimes wax. I gave up on the boutique stuff as fairy dust.
The trick to pickups is finding one that mates well with your guitar. Trial and error every time.

Back
Top Bottom