Please recommend a good 212 cab

kevrock

Experienced
I have the ultra and a carvin power amp I'm needing a good 212 cab to go with it. Any suggestions. I don't need to use car modeling unless I can find a full range that looks like a 212 any idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Kevrock,

As far as finding a FRFR that looks like a 212, I don't have any suggestions, although the Matrix Q12 doesn't look too bad as a 1x12. As far as regular 2x12s, I am loving my Port City OS 2x12. It is an amazing cab, it just sounds huge. I prefer it to the Mesa 2x12 that I had before, both have V30s in them. The Port City does have a bolder sound, almost 3D sounding in comparison, which may or may not be something you want. But both cabs are great, I just enjoy the Port City more.

the Omega cabs have been popping up more and more lately with the AxeFx (devildriver, emmure) and sounding pretty good

Avatar cabs are made pretty well and very affordable. I had one for quite a few years and it rocked.

Depends of what sound you are going for and what type of music you play. That is the whole idea behind FRFR and cab modelling is that you can have any sound you want from just one FRFR speaker. Personally I like the Mesa 2x12 with V30s.

Gee, only took me three years to see this post...lol

Dumped my Marshall closed back 1960A with the 75W Celestians.
Replaced it with a Blackstar Open Back with 2 80W Celestians.

The difference was night and day.
The closed back Marshall farted a lot.
The open back is clean, and tight with some punch.
AND it's under $300.

Don't overlook open back cabs, I love my tone that way.
Port city is a great option! Kinda open back and closed hybrid.

Mick at Xitone cabs has a 2x12 available that I'm sure sounds amazing. His prices are very competitive and he's one of the best guys to work with when purchasing a cab. I highly suggest taking a look at his FRFR cabs.

The Port City cabs are great sounding cabs- haven't played the Axe through one, but several tube amp heads. I see several guys on here use them with their Axe though. Another cab I like that I rarely see mentioned are the THD 2x12 cabs- light and typically fairly affordable. Dr. Z 2x12 cabs are nice as well. I use CLRs because I want to use the cab modeling to get radically different sounds out of the Axe. If I was using just onw or two sounds though, I would definitely go with a power amp and traditional cab. Likely a VOX 2x12 with british voiced speakers in my case.

Back
Top Bottom