So looks like the top contenders are:

EV Live ELX112P
Makie HD1221
QSC K12
RCF NX12-SMA
JBL PRX612M

hmm....

RCF>QSC [for AxeFX II, or anything else IMO]
Alright so I just checked the RCFs and they look quiet promising as you have already stated. Let's say I decide to get these,should I get a pair of them or is one enough? Also would it be a good idea to connect an Atomic 50/50 Power amp with these?
Any thoughts and inputs would be highly appreciated.

Sorry for the delay...in replying...Why I choose the QSC over Mackie and rest..... overall better bottom end...less flubby..on distorted sounds the QSC seemed to handle both cleans and driven sounds more precisely....not as much top end fizzz.. I thought the build quality and string response was what i wanted..

I play everything from classic rock to damian rice in my band so a broad spectrum... no much metal i'm afraid but we do some rock covers.

by the way.( know the keyboard tech at our local store)..I took my axefx to our local store they set me up in the acoustic section of the store brought in pairs and single speakers...so i could put Mackie left Jbl right and then in pairs ....QSC and Mackie left right and in pairs....I would highly recommend this process if you can get your axe to a store..

apart from the interest from the keyboard guy I had 10 guitars guys hanging round..

Tried lots of presets from VH to acoustic type stuff.

I loved the clarity of cleans and overall best for me...RCFs where excellent but and extra $120 over the QSCs...so a no brainer..

These are all small PA systems. If I were to test them I would never have done so using the Axe-Fx....you are then just testing your patches. The result may be that you go for the worst speaker because your shitty patches sounded best though those :p I'd really advice to bring some very familiar music and listen to that rather than the Axe. THEN tweak your patches to your new speakers, and at the same time have a nice little PA handy for those occasions.

These are all small PA systems. If I were to test them I would never have done so using the Axe-Fx....you are then just testing your patches. The result may be that you go for the worst speaker because your shitty patches sounded best though those :p I'd really advice to bring some very familiar music and listen to that rather than the Axe. THEN tweak your patches to your new speakers, and at the same time have a nice little PA handy for those occasions.

That's exactly what I was thinking about.
I was thinking of burning a CD with just the guitar track of a song that I already know how it sounds like. Then go to a Guitar Center/Samash and compare those speakers.

That's exactly what I was thinking about.
I was thinking of burning a CD with just the guitar track of a song that I already know how it sounds like. Then go to a Guitar Center/Samash and compare those speakers.

You may do that too, but I'd really just bring complete songs/mixes as the electric guitar alone will only cover a very limited freq range, and it's a very difficult source to judge a full range speaker system by as bad frequency response may even be a good thing for those sounds. Judge it by familiar mixes with vocals, acoustic instruments, powerful drums....whatever, a variety of sources.

Notice that you can do crazy eq stuff with electric guitars (or any other electric/electronic sound), it doesn't necessarily become "wrong", just different. Try doing the same to a familiar acoustic sound though...

Alright so I just checked the RCFs and they look quiet promising as you have already stated. Let's say I decide to get these,should I get a pair of them or is one enough?

The NX12SMA is a monitor type configuration, controls on the side for easy access. They can be used for a backline type app too [set up to project sound to audience]. It really depends on what you want/what your app is......i.e. our church PA is run mono. It makes no sense for me to run my monitors and outs stereo if the audience is hearing mono. So I use one NX12. But if I had the ability to run stereo, there's nothing like it. Sounds fantastic.

Also would it be a good idea to connect an Atomic 50/50 Power amp with these?

No power amp, these are self powered. [The NX12SMA]

Wisdom.

That's why I said the deal about my wife's keys sounding bad. The RCF is much closer to the sound you hear thru headphones or nearfields than the QSC.

There's a mid scoop in the QSC that I never could dial out [I'm not the only one]. So my thought process is "I want the best FRFR I can afford". If the QSC 'flavors' my AxeFX more, it's not the best FRFR for me.

The NX12SMA is a monitor type configuration, controls on the side for easy access. They can be used for a backline type app too [set up to project sound to audience]. It really depends on what you want/what your app is......i.e. our church PA is run mono. It makes no sense for me to run my monitors and outs stereo if the audience is hearing mono. So I use one NX12. But if I had the ability to run stereo, there's nothing like it. Sounds fantastic.

No power amp, these are self powered. [The NX12SMA]

Well I don't have a set up yet per say. I was using my ultra with my JBL studio monitors,that sounded great. But Now I want to go out and jam with people and play live so I am look for a rig suitable for the Axe Fx II that I am about to recieve.I am thinking to wait for the Atomic CLRs. Thank you for your detailed response much appreciated.

So I went to a Guitar Center today and A/B a few of them that were available.

In my opinion:

EV Live ELX112P: Too dark, didn't like the bass at all. Lacks clarity.

QSC K12 : Brighter. clarity was much better. But the high mids didn't sound real.

JBL PRX612M : More balanced compared to the two above, good mids, but lacks clarity.

Makie HD1221 : Not available in store

RCF NX12-SMA : Not available in store

Last edited:
Resurrecting an ancient thread... I am looking for recommendations in the $700 - $1000 range for FRFR monitor that is *accurate* to represent what would be heard in studio monitors or FOH in a good setup.

I am very happy with the sound of a single QSC K10 as a monitor, and tweaked my patches to sound good at live levels through that. I don't play out consistently, so don't have experience to know the FOH sound. But I was in a studio last weekend going direct, using the whole band mix playing live as the only monitor, and found my patches sounded more thin with a harsh high end and lacking bottom. I suspect the QSC K10 rounds out the top end a bit and fattens up the bass end, and that trained me to adjust my patches sub-optimally.

I have some older Sony MDR-v600 headphones that are either blown or they can't handle the power in the lower end frequency of the guitar tones when I turn it up a bit (not crazy loud where I would expect it to distort).

So, I don't want to go into a studio again disappointed in my patches, or when we start playing out where I rely more on the sound of FoH. So, what are your monitor recommendations for getting ACCURATE (not just "GOOD") sound in a form factor that also works for portability/ruggedness to take to weekly rehearsal or shows, in $700 - $1000 price range? Also, recommendations for headphones preferably less than $100, and how much better if the budget goes up to $200? Hopefully in that price range they have removable cables so you don't have issues with cable bending/breaking at the attachment point to the earphones.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Resurrecting an ancient thread... I am looking for recommendations in the $700 - $1000 range for FRFR monitor that is *accurate* to represent what would be heard in studio monitors or FOH in a good setup.

I am very happy with the sound of a single QSC K10 as a monitor, and tweaked my patches to sound good at live levels through that. I don't play out consistently, so don't have experience to know the FOH sound. But I was in a studio last weekend, and found my patches sounded more thin with a harsh high end and lacking bottom. I suspect the QSC K10 rounds out the top end a bit and fattens up the bass end, and that trained me to adjust my patches sub-optimally.

I have some older Sony MDR-v600 headphones that are either blown or they can't handle the power in the lower end frequency of the guitar tones when I turn it up a bit (not crazy loud where I would expect it to distort).

So, I don't want to go into a studio again disappointed in my patches, or when we start playing out where I rely more on the sound of FoH. So what are recommended monitors for dialing in my sounds? I can make it sound great through QSC K10, but I want something that will make it sound great anywhere.

Thanks!

Simple, Atomic CLR.

To the guys are interested in various monitors that are not locally available, you might want to add you location to your avatar. There are a lot of us around who might be able to help you test a few out . Another tip, "Location:in a world of my own", is not helping you make local friends. Just sayin'

Atomic powered CLR wedges sound great, but what the heck do I know! What little I do know, is that presets dialed-in using Yamaha HSM-80s translate well over to the CLRs.

CLR or Xitone

Most people seem to end up with these sooner or later, so not to say the cheaper options are "bad", because they aren't, but when you figure out the cost of buying then selling Alto's et al., vs just going for what really is the best, it comes out a bit cheaper to just get the tried and tested first

I just got a pair of Xitones after using small, mid priced PA speakers for a while. Wow, what an improvement! They're small enough and light enough to be manageable for lugging around all over the place, but still sound excellent. The sound upgrade is comparable to when Cliff released ultra res IRs. There's just an extra level of mud and stiffness removed. It just sounds better.

You can get them active (with Matrix power amps built in) or passive, or both (extra input that bypasses the Matrix and goes right to the speaker).

Back
Top Bottom