• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Please make an FM7

unix-guy

Legend!
I
Pretty sure it is but I cannot hate a company for wanting to make more money
I've never experienced a case of Fractal trying to squeeze customers for more money. It's not their way...

We get free and frequent firmware updates, editors, etc...

And the Axe Fx III could easily have been priced $1000 more than it was.

Of course they want to sell products - they are a business that sells products, after all.

But I truly don't think they sat around scheming up ways to get to need to buy "accessories". This was a specific design decision to allow maximum flexibility.

We're all entitled to our opinions. That's mine ;)

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
That's a great idea but I'd be fine even with something like this:

View attachment 54429
Haven't followed this bickering back and forth on what FAS "should" do. but I do approve of this idea.
Also wild guess on my part. It seems FAS is moving towards "module" product development.
AXE-FX III with FC6/12
FM3 on its own or with added FC6/12

this kind of "extension" 3 and 6 buttons would be great small addition as "module" thinking. Provided its fully integrated of course.

Wouldn't be massively surprised if there would be a big brother of FM3 coming at some point as well.

Last edited:

Rex

Legend!
A little bigger than you were saying, but I like the way you think.;)
I'd be nervous about all that unprotected stomping in such close proximity to the front panel controls. And that 9th button would be tricky to stomp without hitting the expression pedal or the Nav buttons.

Matt_B_77

Forum Addict
I'd be nervous about all that unprotected stomping in such close proximity to the front panel controls. And that 9th button would be tricky to stomp without hitting the expression pedal or the Nav buttons.
Not to mention the negatives of having integrated expression pedals.

BWILLIAMS

New here
I doubt any new floor processor would need to be limited by, or inclusive of current hardware or design.

Gonna throw a few things out there. I’m not gonna make any friends because of it.

...People are already talking about buying two FM3s to piece together an ideal floor rig with plenty of processing power. Wrap your head around that. In demoing the FM3 there are as many vids out there with an FM3 plugged into an FC-6 ..and these are demo videos.

...Tells me two things. Right now, there is an acknowledgment that the FM3 shares the same headroom - and all that entails - as the AX8, ...and that even those demoing the unit think it could - about half the time - use more footswitches.

You don’t need to tell Fractal R&D that the biggest gripe anybody had with the AX8 was its processing power. Had plenty of switches, but many hit the CPU’s limits.

They know that.

And I think Fractal messed up.

...Personally, I think it was a mistake to try to equate the AX8 with the FM3, right from the get-go. And I still do. Because clearly, they are too different by design to be equated. ...That said, a person could choose to look at the FM3 as a completely new product. Not Really a true AX8 “successor”, more a “stand-alone lightweight fly rig”. “The new Fractal entry point” ...and it’s priced as such.

This ??? ...FM7-9-12 - a successor - would be a product which needs to be marketably distinguishable from the FM3 and AXEIII - it would need to fall between an FM3 and the AXEIII in capability - it would need processing headroom twice that of the FM3 (AX8) to remove that “headroom” gripe, ...which would also allow for being half the CPU headroom of the Flagship - to keep the Flagship III the very-same very-highly sought after and also very distinguishable piece of gear.

Twice the processing power of the FM3 in roughly twice the footprint would allow for greater flexibility and breathing room in running dual amp blocks and high quality reverbs etc., that CPU ceiling would be lifted. Additional foot switches, because ..let’s face it ..because they wouldn’t go to waste, that’s why.

Now, somebody - somewhere, is imagining and maybe even working on a product like this.

However, for the fact Fractal are rolling the AX-8 and FM3 waitlists together tells me that they are nowhere near a product like I just described. If they released one, there would be the torches and the pitchforks - people on both those current lists would feel duped. ...This unicorn product is not coming anytime soon. Nothing points to it.

But a product like that will eventually arrive as it’s distinguishable and very marketable. ...Because the headroom issues will still be evident with this new processor - the same as there were with the AX8. ..It was an issue then, it’s an issue now. When people imagine buying two of things to get past that..

But you could successfully argue “that limitation is acceptable in high-end a fly-rig!”, and you would be right.

But that issue could also be manufactured out of a future higher-end (mid-capability) floor processor.

All this, and a great many FM3 customers will be ordering FCs of some description for their FM3s as they will need more switches (but will still bump into the headroom issue).

So, I’m sure, Fractal will create a product “in-between” the FM3 and AXElll ... because it’s that marketable. It would allow for customers to happily upgrade from the “fly rig” and it would also allow for the AXElll to continue to rule the roost.

But...Just don’t hold your breath for an MF7, 9 or 12.. I just can’t imagine it being anytime soon. ...image, that waitlist being filled. People blowing $1500.00 for a processor and footswitch, to - just a few months later, see something without that headroom issue and a decent amount of footswitches in the fractal store window for $1799.00 Those customers on today’s waitlists would feel duped!

This unicorn product is not coming anytime soon. If they kept the AX8 list separate, Then I would imagine sooner than later. ...But since they rolled those lists together.. they could be sitting on it. It would look really bad if they released that unicorn product on the heels of filling those waitlists.

So, view the FM3 as a complimentary product. “A fly rig”. THE entry level floor processor.

Think along the lines that maybe the AX8 just became an untenable product to keep updating, as much to do with its specific cpu architecture and resources not quite fitting well with the new and unified code within fractal’s newer product lines, as much as finding a guy to code for it.

Let it retire. As all products must.

The rest - this unicorn product? Have faith, don’t expect much today, but in time.

I read every post in this thread and I think we’re beating this “not what I hoped for” “this is what I want” ..thing to death now. Time to let it go.

Honestly? Fractal is aware of what you want.

Let them do their jobs. Allow them that. And ..All in time.
I agree with this analysis. No statement from Fractal even hunts that an FM7 or mid-level unit is coming out soon. Just with my business hat on, my three main thoughts about the modeler market now are:
1) Given the FM3's 'Fly-Rig' status, customers are looking for a larger all-in-one floor unit are now more likely to consider the Helix, and I wonder whether Fractal is making a decision to not compete against Line 6 in that middle arena (Yes, I think Fractal sounds better but for many the convenience of the Helix does appeal).

2) I strongly suspect the AX8's popularity reduced sales of the Axe-FX III, and by not offering a significantly upgraded floor model they are working to bolster the flagship status of the III. Today, that makes sense. They can't put the processing power of the III on the floor. But increased processing capability - sans cooling fans - will be possible in a few years, and when this is possible I would put money on a migration to a floor-only product range. I believe this because customers who choose floor models have a strong reason why they prefer the floor format, and customers who choose rack models don't have such a strong preference for the rack format.

3) I think we are living in, or close to, the Golden Age of Modelling. Once Fractal and it's competitors arrive at a capability plateau, I think the time between releasing upgraded models will grow. The way to maintain the cash flow required to fund new amp & FX models will be by offering a pay to update firmware or subscription model. I don't think this would be great for consumers, but I could see people adopting it if - for example - it allowed use of your Fractal effects subscription on your modeler AND in your DAW.

jageya

Inspired
I've never experienced a case of Fractal trying to squeeze customers for more money. It's not their way...

We get free and frequent firmware updates, editors, etc...

And the Axe Fx III could easily have been priced $1000 more than it was.

Of course they want to sell products - they are a business that sells products, after all.

But I truly don't think they sat around scheming up ways to get to need to buy "accessories". This was a specific design decision to allow maximum flexibility.

We're all entitled to our opinions. That's mine ;)
Its not about negative aspect of making money geez. profit doesnt equal evil. Thats a pretty liberal assumption. I think its a smart move to make it modular and nudging buyers to get the fc6/12 to add to it to make it expandable switch wise. its a good business concept for sure.
People who buy fractal arent cheap bastards(like me-yea i dont own a fractal) They have no issue paying more and jumping on the bandwagon. Thats fine.I have plenty of gear already that sound great for me-i am always liking new advances in modeling from any company and one day i may just jump back in when i feel its worth it for me. No need to flame me for my opinions here.If i had and extra $1500(or $1000) dollars to spend on a modeler i would still be cautious with the fm3 (+fc6?) and likely just wait anyhow untill real world people get it and demo and beta test it. The people fractal hires/pay/ or has come in and play will of course say great things and wow it-i mean they likely want free stuff or to be in the good graces of fractal no matter what. Same happened with the helix before release and durring release: same with blackstar ht mk2 vids where players wow it up. Its all to be taken with a grain of salt of course.
Like is said its a cool form factor and a step in the right direction and it will sell well for fractal and will sell alot of fc units too which is good for business to fund more cool products in the future so its all good.
That post a few back was making sence about them still open to have a unit between the fc3 and the axefx3-makes sense but also dont want to make it too close to the axe3 in features and price as it likely wont sell so that will be a harder sell then the fm3.

ksandvik

Veteran
The $999 price point makes it a no-brainer to get into the Fractal guitar emulation systems now. If this takes off, yes the market will expand and then more products are of course in the pipeline.

jageya

Inspired
The $999 price point makes it a no-brainer to get into the Fractal guitar emulation systems now. If this takes off, yes the market will expand and then more products are of course in the pipeline.
I am sure for many this is true as was the 1099 price on the ax8 WAS a good time to get into the fractal. With shipping and tax(if they charge?) its 1100.00 or so. So the 999 is not exactly right in the end. But i get what you are sayin.

Oh and i bet most buying this are already fractal customers who already own 1 or more fractal products already. I think new buyers will still hesitate on the fm3 somewhat as no in store discounts and returning back to the store if you didnt like is avail. Yea i know the drill-return on your dime.
In the end people wont have a hard time reselling them if its not their thing on TGP or ebay for what they got it for or even for more: some guys are selling the ax8 for more then it was priced for(like its some rare wonderful piece of kit) Me i would buy the fm3 before the now discontinued ax8 any day for similar pricing. Ax8 i would buy used for like $700 max

Heinzi

Inspired
The FM3 size is fine - having a desktop solution that fits into your gigbag is great. Having the same knob usage as the Axe FX is also a great step - that´s what i always found difficult about the AX8.
I don´t think there´s a need for a FM7 but maybe for something in between FC6 an 12?

unix-guy

Legend!
Its not about negative aspect of making money geez. profit doesnt equal evil. Thats a pretty liberal assumption. I think its a smart move to make it modular and nudging buyers to get the fc6/12 to add to it to make it expandable switch wise. its a good business concept for sure.
People who buy fractal arent cheap bastards(like me-yea i dont own a fractal) They have no issue paying more and jumping on the bandwagon. Thats fine.I have plenty of gear already that sound great for me-i am always liking new advances in modeling from any company and one day i may just jump back in when i feel its worth it for me. No need to flame me for my opinions here.If i had and extra $1500(or $1000) dollars to spend on a modeler i would still be cautious with the fm3 (+fc6?) and likely just wait anyhow untill real world people get it and demo and beta test it. The people fractal hires/pay/ or has come in and play will of course say great things and wow it-i mean they likely want free stuff or to be in the good graces of fractal no matter what. Same happened with the helix before release and durring release: same with blackstar ht mk2 vids where players wow it up. Its all to be taken with a grain of salt of course.
Like is said its a cool form factor and a step in the right direction and it will sell well for fractal and will sell alot of fc units too which is good for business to fund more cool products in the future so its all good.
That post a few back was making sence about them still open to have a unit between the fc3 and the axefx3-makes sense but also dont want to make it too close to the axe3 in features and price as it likely wont sell so that will be a harder sell then the fm3.
The way your previous post and one I replied to were worded, you made it sound as at Fractal's goal was to create one product that would make you require a second product. Maybe not your intention, but that is how I took it.

Just as you are entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine... Which is what I already wrote.

jageya

Inspired
The way your previous post and one I replied to were worded, you made it sound as at Fractal's goal was to create one product that would make you require a second product. Maybe not your intention, but that is how I took it.

Just as you are entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine... Which is what I already wrote.
What i meant is they already have fc units so it makes sense to offer the fm3 in the format it is so it can link with the fc units.I get that and its a winwin for them to sell more of both. I get the logic and the direction i was just expecting the fm(or ax8 replacement to be a more all in 1 unit overall and closer to the rack in other ways. But its a great direction of course. Does that clear it up?

unix-guy

Legend!
What i meant is they already have fc units so it makes sense to offer the fm3 in the format it is so it can link with the fc units.I get that and its a winwin for them to sell more of both. I get the logic and the direction i was just expecting the fm(or ax8 replacement to be a more all in 1 unit overall and closer to the rack in other ways. But its a great direction of course. Does that clear it up?
Yep...

Tones2

Inspired
It's not a great direction if you want more than 3 buttons and considerably less less than 22" wide. :) These are the only options (right now at least). Well..there is the external pedal button input button thing that makes it somewhat OK.

lwknives

Veteran
It's not a great direction if you want more than 3 buttons and considerably less less than 22" wide. :) These are the only options (right now at least). Well..there is the external pedal button input button thing that makes it somewhat OK.
This is pretty much how I feel about it. I understand why fractal would make the FC boards so wide, it makes hitting the switch you are aiming for easier. If I just played big roomy stages and had a large studio to do set up it would make sense. But I have been recently trying to figure out how to make my AX8 setup lighter and smaller, the way the new Fractal modular system is set up I cant get smaller or lighter without giving up 8 switches.

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I would not mind buying a FC, but i cannot accept how bulky the setup gets. If i get FM3 +FC6- I end up with larger board and still less switches than AX8. So its not about cost for me, but purely practicality of this setup. I support Fractal and would love to buy their controller, but for my use its too big and has too few switches.

Top Bottom