• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Please make an FM7

Axe Grinder

Regular
Best answers
Why? I've had my Digitech RP1000 for over 10 years! of constant gigging and touring..Solid as a rock!! Even the Line 6's HD500 and Xtlive units are built like tanks..
Cool jjdpro... Honestly, I will never sell my Line6 X3L... I think it has WAY MORE balls than the fizzy-sounding HD and helix models. If nothing else, it also works great with my bass and actually has some decent vocal patches too - It will be a perfect second fiddle to my new FM7, FM9, or whatever they call it!!

ksandvik

Veteran
Best answers
I for one have been waiting on a Fractal floor unit that's the size of the Line 6 Helix or Headrush. I'm not going to purchase an FM3.. Way too small and it's a waste of good money to purchase a separate controller. And, yes I want dual amp capability.

If my dream fractal unit never, materializes, then some other manufacturer will come along a deliver the goods..
I'm sure it will happen in far future. Meanwhile, there are ten years of gigging and recording that needs an FM3.

JoKeR III

Inspired
Best answers
Johan Allard and FM7 brethren... Let us combine forces! If you haven't voted yet on our sister FM9 thread poll I'd like to invite you to help us get these numbers up for visibility to Fractal for the voice of what the people want next -

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fake-fm9-the-real-ax8-replacement-or-the-fm3.150403/

I love this FM7 thread as well and have read every single post. FM7, FM9 - Whatever! I will take one of either...
Lemme guess; Union guy?

DaveO

Inspired
Best answers
I’m
Why? I've had my Digitech RP1000 for over 10 years! of constant gigging and touring..Solid as a rock!! Even the Line 6's HD500 and Xtlive units are built like tanks..
just sold my RP1000 money is on hold for FM3!

Johan Allard

Forum Addict
Best answers
Johan Allard and FM7 brethren... Let us combine forces! If you haven't voted yet on our sister FM9 thread poll I'd like to invite you to help us get these numbers up for visibility to Fractal for the voice of what the people want next -

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fake-fm9-the-real-ax8-replacement-or-the-fm3.150403/

I love this FM7 thread as well and have read every single post. FM7, FM9 - Whatever! I will take one of either...
Glad you like the concept :)

I think a FM7 is a lot more likely than a FM9 and I don't think it's a matter of more posts will make a FM7 or FM9 more likely:
  • The FM9 concept is physically really just the same as having an FM3+FC6 so the only benefit from a physical point of view would be that they are mounted together.
  • A lot of people are hoping that an extended FM7/9 would have a different CPU, but I don't really think that's likely. Building a new CPU architecture and committing to a new firmware different to the FM3 and Axe Fx 3 would be a massively bigger undertaking than extended an FM3 with more switches in a new enclosure. And a new CPU with different limitations would require a new firmware for each release.
  • Similarly, a lot of people are hoping that we could get the Axe Fx 3 CPU on a floorboard but I think that's even less likely. The Axe Fx 3 has fans and openings for coolings in a way a floorboard unit couldn't so I don't think that will ever happen. If this was possible, I think that would already have happened as if there was the same CPU for the rack unit as the floorboard, it could likely use the same firmware and would be easier to develop for Fractal. If they could, that's already what they would be doing.
  • There's a lot of comments along the lines that an FM9 with a better CPU is more likely than a FM7 because the FM9 would use the same housing as the FC12. But in reality it's a LOT more work building new internals than building a new enclosure. The way I think the actual build is done by whomever is manufacturing the FC6/FC12/FM3 cases is that they are creating basically a long metal tube outlining the shape of the FC6/FC12/FM3, and then they cut it to whatever length they want it and then attach the end plates. The FM7 concept would require minimal adjustments as it would use the same shape, i.e. could use the same tube base, just cut to a different width.
  • The FM7 would offer a real physical differentiation being larger than the FM3 and smaller than the FM3+FC6. I think the CPU in the Ax8 is absolutely fine and the only time I really run into any limitation these days is when I try to create a kitchen sink preset. So yes, it would be nice to have more CPU headroom and being able to add more stuff, but for my usage it's absolutely not something I see as a big limitation.
Regardless, I think it's going to be at least a year after the deliveries has started for the FM3 before we can even hope to see a new version, regardless if that's a FM7, FM9, or a FM6 with two rows of 3 buttons, or whatever it is. It's obvious that Fractal is already having a hard time keeping up with demands with a lot of people that has the Axe Fx 3 still haven't received their FC foot controller, sometimes after waiting for more than a year. So yeah, I hope (and think) they listen to these threads, contemplating what's on the cards for the future. But for at least the next year and a bit, the FM3 is going to be it I think for new Fractal floorboard units.

DaveO

Inspired
Best answers
I've got nothing to base my opinion however my suspicion is there will not be another floor unit until after a Axe v.4 is released, that's why I'm on waiting list for a FM3 and FC6.

DaveO

Inspired
Best answers
Hi hear ya, I'd been happy with FM4 (I think), just one or two more buttons wouldn't have hurt... I'm hopping along with everyone else.

jjdpro

Regular
Best answers
I don’t understand as well.. if financing is a issue, I’m pretty sure some VC’s would provide funding to hire designers and additional staff to make an updated AX8 .. with LEDs strips more dsp power .. audio interface.
This company does stellar modeling. Best in class, but lacks giving players what they’ve been asking..

And, that’s making a full fledge / full powered floor unit. An Axe Fx III floor unit.. And for those who prefer the rack / foot controller setup.. Get that..

But, at least give us the choice!!

Excited by the new FM3, can't wait to get the latest modelling and functions from the Axe Fx 3 + FC, but at the same time I can't help but feeling that 3 buttons isn't going to cut it most of the time. I'll probably end up with the FM3 + FC6 and I'm sure that will work well. When I've been thinking about this, I think there should be a floorboard model with more buttons that would be the ideal solution for most people most of the time. Sticking with the FC form factor, this is what I think would be a better option:

What do you think? Would you have preferred an FM7 over an FM3?

Hopefully though, we'll get both as options :)

chris

Legend!
Best answers
And, that’s making a full fledge / full powered floor unit. An Axe Fx III floor unit.. And for those who prefer the rack / foot controller setup.. Get that..
there has been much discussion describing factually why a "full" Axe3 floor unit is not a simple thing to produce.

ksandvik

Veteran
Best answers
I don’t understand as well.. if financing is a issue, I’m pretty sure some VC’s would provide funding to hire designers and additional staff to make an updated AX8 .. with LEDs strips more dsp power .. audio interface.
This company does stellar modeling. Best in class, but lacks giving players what they’ve been asking..
VCs rather invest in streaming ad services, photo social networks, cryptocurrencies and so on compared with a tiny group of guitar players. Be glad we have a company like Fractal doing this. And FM3 is fine.

jjdpro

Regular
Best answers
I missed that discussion.. So, there's no proper way to mount a printed circuit board with dsp..cooling, fans harness on floor unit in 2019?

there has been much discussion describing factually why a "full" Axe3 floor unit is not a simple thing to produce.

Johan Allard

Forum Addict
Best answers
I missed that discussion.. So, there's no proper way to mount a printed circuit board with dsp..cooling, fans harness on floor unit in 2019?
No, still in 2019 there’s dust and dirt on the floor in a lot of places so no one wants to have openings with fans into a unit that goes on the floor. This is true across all brands of pro audio equipment.

If they could mount the Axe Fx 3 in a floor unit they already would (and a Axe Fx 2 board in an Ax8 enclosure) because it would have been a lot cheaper not designing a new board and not designing a new firmware for each.

ksandvik

Veteran
Best answers
For a very expensive piece of equipment I rather have it in a rack controlled by a foot controller than placing it on a stage. Speaking from experience. Things happen on-stage....

Severed

Forum Addict
Best answers
I'll say it again, building high end gaming PC's and serious tuning overclocks for 15 years the heat thing is a non issue. The dirt and dust is a non issue, filters are cheap and are HEPA micron level... These PCs are carted around for major competitions world wide and I've yet to encounter someone's rig being broken from moving it around.

Some people spend $700 for cooling alone and have no problem with it. Heck one of my best buds just dropped $3500 for the latest Xeon processor and another $6500 for the latest video Quadro Video card... that's 10 grand not including the rest of the build.. yea hes one of the few, but the point is there are those who will pay a premium to have the best just to say they have the best or get what they want.... but it has to be available.

Just my opinion, but Cliff is marketing his product the way he wants to, not because what some people are asking for is not possible.

Top Bottom