• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Please make an FM7

Rex

Legend!
2nd is knobs of any kind. Should be 100% touch screen in this day and age.
Not for me. You never know when you might have to adjust something. On a busy stage in the heat of the moment, the last thing I want is to have to do precision drawing with my finger. I need everything to be accessible with a knob or a button. They're just steadier, more reliable, and more forgiving.

Not to mention that a splash of beer can render a touch screen useless. Or even worse, give it a mind of its own — and make it start doinng things that I don't want it to do.

Rex

Legend!
What are the negatives? I would like to have a machine with two integrated quality expression pedals. I like the idea of an all in one board.
The negatives?

- Some people only want one expression pedal. Your ideal two-expression-pedal unit would require that person to pay for an extra pedal he doesn't want, and haul around the extra weight and bulk.

- Some people don't want any expression pedal. Or they're buying a second FC and already have the pedals they need.

- What if you prefer your pedals angled, or on the other side of the FC? Or on both sides?

- What if you prefer a short-throw pedal for wah or rotary?

- Expression pedals are mechanical devices. If one of them breaks, you have to send the whole unit in for repair.

chris

Legend!
The negatives?

- Some people only want one expression pedal. Your ideal two-expression-pedal unit would require that person to pay for an extra pedal he doesn't want, and haul around the extra weight and bulk.

- Some people don't want any expression pedal. Or they're buying a second FC and already have the pedals they need.

- What if you prefer your pedals angled, or on the other side of the FC? Or on both sides?

- Expression pedals are mechanical devices. If one of them breaks, you have to send the whole unit in for repair.
^ this.

from experience, i completely dislike units with a built-in pedal. i see so many of these on stages where one or both pedals have broken, and now they have a dumb looking device. most people break it by carrying the unit by the pedal too.

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
The negatives?

Not if you have really good expression pedals like the Fractal EV-1 maybe? I never played with one.

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
Also, it looks like FAS is moving towards a more and more modular design, so I don't see much chance of any integrated concepts, such as an AxeIII with built-in power amp or floorboards with built-in expression pedals.

I would like to see an FC3 with no screen to pair with my FM3. Edit: it probably needs to be an FC2 or FC4 to fit the form factor.

Rex

Legend!
Not if you have really good expression pedals like the Fractal EV-1 maybe? I never played with one.
The EV-1 is a superb expression pedal. The best I've ever used. But it doesn't negate the negatives listed above.

Axe Grinder

Regular
Not to mention the negatives of having integrated expression pedals.
These guys have converted my thinking - I've always had an integrated expression pedal on units in the past, and initially I also wanted one in a Fractal unit. I now see the value in keeping it separate, and there really isn't much of a downside and it maximizes the flexibility and appeal to everyone's personal preferences...

Capt Nasty

Inspired
The FM-3 is a tremendously scalable platform to build off of. FM-6, FM-7, FM-9? Look at all the different configurations people are calling out in this thread to address their specific needs. It would be a fools errand to offer different form factors. Particularly given that you can get to almost any button count you want with Ares and an FM-3

4 buttons = FM-3 + 1 stand in switch
5 buttons = FM-3 + 2 stand in switches
6 buttons = FM-3 + 3 stand in switches
7 buttons = FM-3 + 4 stand in switches
9 buttons = FM-3 + FC-6
10 buttons = FM-3 + FC-6 + 1 stand in switch
... and so on

What Fractal has designed is a far more scalable (and in my opinion sensible) approach. Going down the form factor rabbit hole is to jump in a hole with no bottom. All it would do is make the Fractal Product portfolio a mess and minimize profitability, when as noted above we can get to just about any specific button count we want already.

Now, to say that we want FAS to offer 1, 2, and 4 button external switches with scribble strips and an LED ring as an accessory for Ares platform devices is a very reasonable ask in my opinion. Whether scribble strips and/or LED rings on external switches is technically or economically feasible is another story.

Last edited:

Smilzo

Forum Addict
The FM-3 is a tremendously scalable platform to build off of. FM-6, FM-7, FM-9? Look at all the different configurations people are calling out in this thread to address their specific needs. It would be a fools errand to offer different form factors.
The point of FM-6-7-9 is not the number of button, but the board space for CPU/memory/component. Many user wish to have AXEFX III in studio and transfer their patches into a pedalboard. The main problem seems to be dual amp block with hi-res, and the number of istance per block.

Capt Nasty

Inspired
Exactly and using external switches gives you the smaller profile. Once you get to 9 buttons the size of your external switches catches no up to the FC-6.

Axe Grinder

Regular
It would be a fools errand to offer different form factors.

Going down the form factor rabbit hole is to jump in a hole with no bottom. All it would do is make the Fractal Product portfolio a mess and minimize profitability, when as noted above we can get to just about any specific button count we want already.
Completely & totally disagree... But I respect your opinion and your viewpoint. I think another AX8 form factor would be highly profitable for Fractal and fill a product gap. For me, I don't want a lot of clutter - Just the AX8 form factor, it's what I like. And also, more processing power than half of the 8-year-old FX2.

The AX8 wasn't a fluke... It was a very big seller, very popular, and I'm banking that history will repeat itself.

Capt Nasty

Inspired
Completely & totally disagree... But I respect your opinion and your viewpoint. I think another AX8 form factor would be highly profitable for Fractal and fill a product gap. For me, I don't want a lot of clutter - Just the AX8 form factor, it's what I like. And also, more processing power than half of the 8-year-old FX2.

The AX8 wasn't a fluke... It was a very big seller, very popular, and I'm banking that history will repeat itself.
You guys on this thread seem to think this is about number of buttons. It is not, at least not from a Fractal perspective. It is about having a modeler for racks and a modeler for the floor. Switches and FCs are how you get to the button count you want/need.

Need a smaller footprint? Use switches. No worried about space or weight? Use an FC or two.

Cliff has even weighed in on the subject:
Below is what Cliff said which sounds to many people that there will be no other "in between" models. Basically the FM3 was designed to replace ax8. You will use FM3 for small gigs as stand alone unit and with the FC6/FC12 controllers for larger gigs and then the Axe-fx III for MSG. His direct quote is found below. Unless he is hiding something (which would be kind of BS but possible) id assume no other models.

cliffc8488 said:
If anyone is curious the thought process was this:
1. FM3 alone for rehearsals, small gigs.
2. FM3 plus FC6/12 for larger gigs.
3. Axe-Fx III plus FC6/12 for MSG.
Doesn’t sound to me like he is looking to add another form factor...

Last edited:

Axe Grinder

Regular
You guys on this thread seem to think this is about number of buttons. It is not, at least not from a Fractal perspective. It is about having a modeler for racks and a modeler for the floor. Switches and FCs are how you get to the button count you want/need.
No, that could be a viable path for me, but I still also want at least the DSP horsepower of the 8-year-old Axe-FX II, otherwise I am just going to go ahead and get the Axe-FX III or a used Axe-FX II with it's massive existing preset exchange library.

Top Bottom