Please help with my new FRFR setup

Steveche

I just recently picked up a used Matrix FR212 and had a first test at it last night.
This setup is: Guitar > Axe Fx II (power amp modelling on, cab sims on) > XLR > Matrix GT1000FX > Neutrik 1/4" speaker cable > Matrix FR212p.

I'm not really digging the sound - it sounds boomy/ muffled, seems to lack a lot of presence and sounds artificial. It kind of sounds like there's a blanket over the cab type of thing going on. Am I doing something wrong with settings?

Amp/cab preset settings are Sum L+R for mono. I tried low cuts to 80hz and 120hz on the cab block and different mic's, which helps a little. To be fair, I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with presets yet. I had about 90 minutes to mess around, but couldn't get my gain patch to sound as good as my old setup - using Angle Severe which is based on Engl Savage 120, and cycling through stock Orange and Mesa Recto 4x12 IRs. Are Fractal stock IRs bad? Should I really consider getting the Misha recto cab pack, or should I at least be getting good tones with stock IRs?

The weirdest thing is that I'm actually liking the tones better coming from my Yamaha HS8 monitors (no sub) compared to the FR212.
When comparing to my "old" setup, I'm referring to: Guitar > Axe Fx II (amp modelling on, cab sims off) > Matrix GT1000FX > Orange PPC212 (V30s)

The good thing is that the FR212 seems to be good at providing that "amp in the room" type of feel because this 2x12 is damn powerful. I'm hoping to make this switch to FRFR to utilize the full potential/ versatility of the axe fx.

Help!

Last edited:
IRs have a huge impact on tone. But Fractal stock ones are pretty good and getting into custom ones is, in my opinion, a rabbit hole where you end up constantly tweaking. Before buying custom IRs, I would just sample some of the ones already in the box or on this forum. They will change your tone a lot and when you find one you like, you can adjust your tone from there.

I have a Matrix FR12 and can get good tone out that. Is there a switch on yours to adjust for volume level? That makes a big difference on mine.

How loud are you? Bedroom levels?
In my basement, louder than bedroom volume, but not cranked.

IRs have a huge impact on tone. But Fractal stock ones are pretty good and getting into custom ones is, in my opinion, a rabbit hole where you end up constantly tweaking. Before buying custom IRs, I would just sample some of the ones already in the box or on this forum. They will change your tone a lot and when you find one you like, you can adjust your tone from there.

I have a Matrix FR12 and can get good tone out that. Is there a switch on yours to adjust for volume level? That makes a big difference on mine.
No switch on the passive cab. I'll give it a try and start a preset from scratch..

Update: still struggling.. creating a clean preset seems fine.. but even as soon as i add a drive block to it for some overdrive it gets boomy.

Try lowering the Speaker impedance resonance (speaker tab in amp block) from the default (usually around 110hz) to around 80-90hz). Dynamic presence can help. Remember the FR212 starts to drop it's frequency at 55hz so has way more bottom end than most guitar cabs. What you adjusted for a normal guitar cab will not sound the same on (pretty much any) FRFR setup.

Sounds like you might not be used to cab sims being on, that’s all. You may have to re EQ your tones. Turning on cab sims doesn’t automatically sound perfect, it takes some adjustment. Or maybe you aren’t using the best IR for the situation.

Are you able to play some recorded songs through them that you know well? That way you can compare just the FR212 to other speakers you might be more familiar with, like the HS8's, and find out if it's the new speaker or the cab sims/speaker impedence/whatever in the AxeFX giving you trouble.

Back
Top Bottom