Please help - signal routing with AFX and Studio One for monitoring

ecalcagnino

Hey all. The answer to my issue is likely somewhere, but I haven't found it. That's probably due more to the fact that I am not 100% how to ask, so please bear with me.

This is all using the AFX as the only interface connected to studio monitors at OUTPUT 1. I’m using Windows 10 with Studio One 3.2.

What I want to do: I would like to control the incoming USB volume separately from the AFX INSTR INPUT volume (front) using the two output levels on the front of the AFX. Let’s say OUT LVL 1 for direct guitar, OUT LVL 2 for USB.

How it works now: When I am recording and have a track armed with input monitoring off, I am monitoring my guitar direct through the AFX as well as the incoming USB playback from the DAW. This is how I would like it to work so this is fine. BUT, a lot of times my guitar is louder than I would like it to be and I can’t figure out how to adjust the USB volume separately from the signal I am recording. It seems like if I use any of the outputs to adjust the guitar volume by itself, it's changing the signal gain going into the DAW which I do not want to do.

Make sense? Did I leave anything out? Thank you for your help, this is driving me nuts.

Eric

First make sure your USB Return Level setting in the I/O Audio menu on the front panel is turned up all the way.

If it is and you still need more playback level, turn up your playback in the DAW, probably the Master fader, and reduce the recorded guitar track when playing that back.

Adjusting the Preset level in the Axe definitely affects then signal going out of any Output, including USB.

Reset everything when you are done with guitars or ready to mix down.

I prefer to run my computer output and axe output to an external mixer to help with this. I still record via USB.

Thanks Chris. These are steps I have done and they really don't change my issue enough to keep me from seeking a different solution. I also understand that an external mixer would help, I am just thinking there has GOT to be a way to do this without adding external gear. You and I have definitely come to the same answers so far, thanks for your input!

Anyone else have any luck with this? Thanks!

has Chris has posted, I think that is it with out a mixer or out side interface. I use studio one also and the usb audio goes through out put 1. I guess maybe you could make some kinda double cable so you could connect output 1 and output 2 to your monitors and build all new patches and try to get use of the output knobs, but I do not know if it would work.

Make these settings In I/O menu:

Output 2 Echo: Output 1

USB/Digi Out Source: Output 2

In global menu use Out 1 EQ gain slider to control monitored guitar level. Also verify Out 2 EQ is flat as this affects the recorded track.

Thanks Bakerman. So with this configuration will I be connecting my my monitors to output 2 then? Just a little fuzzy on this. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom