PLEASE HELP! PASSIVE FRFR'S WITH AXEFXII XL & MATRIX GT1500FXBD

This is sort of a re-post in the now correct area of this forum as I am a newbie here and just finding my way around. I do hope that I can be provided some help and guidance on this subject matter and thank you all in advance for taking your time to help me. Looking forward to getting to know all of you here as well. THANKS!!:)

I am excited to be taking delivery of my new XL and MFC 101 as I just got the email that I can now order. I have decided to also purchase a Matrix GT 1500 FXBD power amplifier and run wet/dry/wet onstage with passive FRFR's. After all the Axe FX II has some great cabinet IR's so using guitar cabinets and taking them out of the equation I feel I am missing out and defeating the purpose of this great piece of gear. I will also be running two lines direct out to FOH as well. This seems to be the option that will work best for my needs.

So in finally deciding I am going to go the FRFR route can any of you make suggestions as to a recommending me a particular brand? I am looking for quality components and build, something that lets the Axe FX do its thing to the best of its ability and not where the FRFR's color the AxeFx. And of course I would prefer passive units since I will be using the Matrix. I play in an original band as well as gig in a classic to current rock cover band that covers everything from late 60's like Hendrix to today like Avenged Sevenfold and everything in between so I need to cover alot of ground.

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your input.

Hey, welcome :)

What to buy mainly depends on your budget, of course. If you can spend around 700 $ I'd buy a passive AA CLR, which seems to best fit your query criteria.
Pretty sure it won't sound like the active version, but outstanding quality nevertheless.
There certainly are other options on the market, but you can't be wrong with a CLR IMO.

HTH :)

Thank you kindly. Yes the AA CLR's more than fit my budget. I am on the waiting list. I also stumbled upon something just now from Mission Engineering called a Gemini 1-P. Anyone have any experience with the Gemini Series powered or passive?

Yeah I watched Cooper's demo earlier. It was cool. I actually compared specs between the Gemini 1-P and the CLR Passive Cab. Apparently the differences I see are that from a height and width perspective the Gemini is larger but depth wise the CLR is 3 3/4" deeper:

CLR Cab : H: 17 5/8" x W: 17 5/8" x D: 15 3/4"

Gemini 1-P: H: 20" x W: 24" x D: 12"

I don't exactly know how that will translate in final sound outcome and what you hear. The Gemini in total space seems to be about six inches larger overall but three lbs lighter.

The next difference is here:

CLR : 90 watt 1" HF Driver

Gemini 1-P: 50 watt 1" HF Driver

The CLR handles 40 more watts. Does that concern me? Not really.

Here is the frequency response difference:

CLR: 70Hz - 18kHz -2.5dB

Gemini: 66Hz - 20 kHz -2.0dB

That's a 4Hz wider edge to the CLR vs a 2kHz edge to the Gemini and a mere .5 on the dB end.

Apparently everything else seems to be exactly identical here except that Mission uses 13 ply Baltic Birch and Atomic 12 ply Marine Grade Ply.

Price Differences:

CLR: $749.00
Mission: $519.00

So what do the differences translate into with regards to what you hear hitting your ears????

Lay it on me!!!

Well, others will chime in for sure, but the way I feel it is that there's no comparison between the two, even tho the specs are close on paper.
I guess it all comes down to what you're after: if you want a really linear and transparent cab go with the CLR, I don't think it can be beaten in its category.

I've been following the CLR story since they came out, and I have to say that in 35+ years of passion and interest for audio and electric engineering I had never come across such a thrilling and innovative product.
The main problem in comparing audio devices is that there's no one only way to measure and report specs. But even tho they were comparable for the two products, there's more to a device than just those figures: an overall vision and design which has to be taken into account and which makes any product work in a certain way. Sometimes devices have got the same specs but sound and behave differently... so - besides the pure listening experience, which can tell you what you like best but hardly what's more linear, unless you are really experienced as a tester - you need a criterion to evaluate them.
As for me, and without this "scientifically" demonstrating anything, the criterion is the depth of the project, which in the case of the CLR I've been knowing and following as much as it was allowed to a person outside the project team.

IOW, I guess my thoughts on the matter sum up as: if you're after faithfulness you can't go wrong with a CLR for the money :D
Of course you might be attracted by other products for other reasons (a different sound, weight, cost...).

Sorry for having expatiated so much, the subject always triggers me up LOL
Hope to have been of any help!

:)

I totally understand. You know what it is Gianfranco I don't know which I will like overall and I so wish that I could put both of these products in a room side by side and just have at it and figure it all out then keep the one I like, return the one I don't and order two more of the ones I like. If it were that easy things would be great in that respect, but buying blind without being in front of it to go thru it and see is such a difficult thing.

I just took a look at the Matrix site. I checked out their FRFR cabinets and then went over to You Tube. OMG the FR212 sounds amazing. That's the sound I am used to hearing. I decided to suddenly change things up and I am going to go with a GT 1000 FX 1U Power amp and a pair of FR212's. HOT DAMM!!!!

I just took a look at the Matrix site. I checked out their FRFR cabinets and then went over to You Tube. OMG the FR212 sounds amazing. That's the sound I am used to hearing. I decided to suddenly change things up and I am going to go with a GT 1000 FX 1U Power amp and a pair of FR212's. HOT DAMM!!!!

You got a run down on the Matrix ?? Im itching to pull that same trigger :)

What kind of run down are you looking for bro? I am actually about to order everything within the hour. Procrastination has gotten the best of me. Shocking I know. LOL!! :shock

Back
Top Bottom