PLEASE HELP! Horrible feedback (First show DI)

KyleUMF

Inspired
I was offered to play a song on some good buddies of mine show this last friday and decided to bring my axe-fx ultra and go DI into the board and use a house monitor for me to hear myself, it sounded great but the feedback is awful out of it, i ended up not being able to go near that monitor at all! I am waiting for Atomic to release some wedges so i can go through that instead of the house, will that solve the problem? I have a huge show this Friday that i will just prob end up using my marshall cab and mic it until i get a nice FRFR speaker. just hoping that this wont be the case all the time going DI for live shows.

Last edited:
Your issue is with your sound man, not the Axe-FX. I've played 220+ direct shows and never once had that issue.

Thats what i was figuring, Also the drummer of my band was at the show and said that he prob had my gain on the board too high and the channel level too low, I was not really too loud in the mix, it was just for fun so it did not bother me too much, but for when my band plays live I want to make sure that I have the best sound I can get coming out.

There are a few things that can cause that issue if you are running FR, but I would suspect EQ in the monitors first (assuming your talking about a squealing type of feedback). The pups in your guitar can also contribute this problem as well and there are some small fixes for that.

Yeah i was reffering to squealing type of feed back and for this show I was using just the factory recto preset(5) on my ultra and my stock Silverbust Les Paul Custom (re-issue). I am hoping it was just a sound guy EQ situation

I am still waiting for the Atomic wedges to be released, I suppose tonight at practice I should try messing around with using our PA and going through that and see if there are any problems. I play with a sufficently hotter guitar with my band ( ESP 7 Strings with EMG active Pickups)

This is most likely a microphonic pickup issue, exaggerated by the HF Horn in the wedge, and high SPL levels. You might look into wax-potting your pups.

Yeah i was reffering to squealing type of feed back and for this show I was using just the factory recto preset(5) on my ultra and my stock Silverbust Les Paul Custom (re-issue). I am hoping it was just a sound guy EQ situation

Sorry, should have been more specific, They have been out of stock, hopefully taking in orders this week, i am on the reserve list so hopefully can order soon.

Well, I have never had this problem playing out of my cab, and I am not going to start going through all my pups in my guitars lol. I am hoping it was just a sound guy issue, going to test it live tonight at my bands studio.
This is most likely a microphonic pickup issue, exaggerated by the HF Horn in the wedge, and high SPL levels. You might look into wax-potting your pups.

Well, I have never had this problem playing out of my cab, and I am not going to start going through all my pups in my guitars lol. I am hoping it was just a sound guy issue, going to test it live tonight at my bands studio.
If your cab is behind you, there's a good chance that you would not notice microphonic pickups unless you turned around and faced it - at the same kind of distance/volume levels you had on the monitors.

Assuming you were going direct to FOH and hearing your guitar thru the stage monitors, my guess is that the monitors (sound guy) was partly the problem. Monitors were possibly not "rung out" (eq'ed for room to prevent feedback) before gig, or maybe FOH was not expecting to put guitar into mix - many band have only vocals, keys and/or acoustic guitar in monitor mix.

Based on the little you have described in this thread, MY guess is that stage volumes were hot, you couldn't hear thru (or were to side of) the monitor, levels got turned up so you could hear better (the old I need more of me in the monitor pls), and bingo.. feedback! Common problem, and while partly the soundguys issue, not entirely. Many stage musicians simply do not get that quieter on stage is better for the overall mix. Gives more control to FOH, lets everyone hear themselves, prevents feedback and lets the PA do the job it was built for - amplify the sound from the stage.

Your guitar cabs don't have HF Horns do they?

If you were going through sound company wedges/side fills they were most likely EQ'd for vocal mic feedback suppression which is another variable you have to deal with if you don't have your own guitar monitor rig. If you're not singing and your wedge has it's own mix you could ask the monitor guy to EQ your wedge to eliminate your guitars feedback and reintroduce some of the mids/high-mids they've undoubtedly removed for vocal mic feedback suppression.

I've found it's better to bring/spec a separate speaker/amp for guitar monitoring if sharing a wedge/mix with a vocalist or singing yourself etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom