Please help! Expression pedal not working :(

Hi everyone, I have come across a little issue that is doing my head in. I have an MFC 101 MKII which I use both as a generic MIDI controller to controll my live (non-axe fx) rig and as a dedicated controller for my AXE FX II MK II in the studio. I also use a Mission Engineering XP pedal for controlling both the AXE FX wah and a rack wah that I use with my live rig.

So when I switch from the AXE FX to my live rig, usually all I have to do is set the MFC to AXE FX Mode II and change the "Use PORT" option to "Expansion" instead of "MIDI" and this way I can go back and forth between both my rigs seamlessy.

Today after a while of just using my MFC with my live rig, I went back to use it with my AXE FX and everything works as expected except for the expression pedal which I cannot get to control my wah even on patches that I had previously made which I know were working fine previously. I have checked all the usual suspect, MIDI channel, AXE FX mode, made sure the modifiers were set correctly but I can't get it to work. I know the expression pedal works, and I know that the AXE FX is receiving MIDI when I move it becaue little green light on the front panel comes on but the wah frequency won't move.

I am on aires 2.00 firmware and the 3.08 firmware for the MFC. From what I can tell nothing needs updating.

Please help what am I missing?

Can’t say what you’re missing because we don’t know many details. Many times the thought of “everything is set correctly” isn’t accurate and something isn’t set correctly. So let’s check some basics.

what CC# is the MFC XP set to? Are you using the same CC# in the Axe for the External Controller?

what source is the Wah Control parameter set to? Is it the same source as your External Controller with the CC# in Setup?

what CC# is the MFC XP set to? Are you using the same CC# in the Axe for the External Controller?

Oh wow thanks so much that was it. I had changed the CC# coming from the pedal when I was using it with my live rig and had completely forgotten about it, I changed the corresponding controller CC# on the AXE FX and it worked...

Now just one more question.

I am trying to turn certain fx blocks on and off using my DAW to send the correlating CC# to the AXE FX, again I have patched things correctly in the sense that when my DAW sends the CC# I can see that the AXE FX is receiving something as the green MIDI light flashes, but once again I am not getting the result I want.

So I want to turn the Delay 1 block on and off. One the same I/O page that I made the adjustment for the wah I scroll down to the parameter "DELAY1 BYP" and the number in front of it is 47. I send a CC#47 out of my DAW to the AXE FX but the Delay block doesn't respond. I have tried bothvalue 0 and value 127 and it makes no difference. I have also tried having the Delay effect in the on state and in the off state and in neither state does it respond to either value. What am I doing wrong?

I don't think so. The Axe should respond to either. Are you sending the DAW messages via USB?

No. The CC# are being sent through an Expert Sleepers USAMO unit (https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamo.html), then going through a MOTU Midi Express XT (https://motu.com/products/midi/xpressxt_usb) and then via a MIDI cable to the MIDI input of the AXE FX.

I confirm that the AXE FX IS receiving the MIDI message because the MIDI light goes on, so everything else in the chain before it appears to be doing its job properly.

Another thing to add is that when I use the exact same method with my DAW to change scenes on the AXE FX it works. I do this by sending CC# 34 with a value of 0-7 to change between scenes 1 to 8. So the communication between DAW and Axe FX is working but for some reason I can't toggle the on/off state of individual FX blocks so I must be doing something incorrectly.

Back
Top Bottom