Please help! AX8 seems to have serious issues

OzzyUK

Hi all,

I'm in the U.K and recently bought a used AX8 from a pro musician who used the unit without any issues- due to the covid situation I was unable to try the unit out before buying, but the seller has done his best to be helpful.

I've seen other similar threads, but none with anyone saying they managed to fix the issue.

Essentially, I think there maybe be an issue with the AX8 hardware, as none if the presets sound anywhere as good as clips I've heard online - it almost sounds like I'm plugged in to an old zoom pedal - I know The AX8 is supposed to sound amazing out of the box.

I also followed Leon Todd's video on how to create a present, whereby I used AX edit to create a new present using a Freidman amp with a particular cab - I followed everything to the letter (amp settings when selecting the freidman came up exactly like Leons) - the sound is completely different; much less gain and overall lifeless quality/sound in comparison.

Here is my setup:

Les Paul (I've tried 2 LP's go the with passive pickups- one with a hotter slash set)
Les Paul in to the AX8 input, L out into my focusrite 2i4 (I've tried both XLR and 1/4" guitar cable).
My monitors are Behrinnger MS20 and I've tried monitoring through logic X and without and also through headphones connected to the 2i4 - all sound boot right.

Things I've tried;
Playing with input levels on the 2i4 making sure there's no clipping, changing the input padding on the AX8.
I've factory reset the parameters, uninstalled all the presets, reinstalled the latest firmware and reinstalled all the factory presents- it still sounds not as it should.
Another example of things not being right are say the "machine gun" preset- the univibe doesn't sound right at all; it just sounds like an average phaser.

I also tried the unit playing through a vox valtronics amp just on a very clean setting and the same issue is there (ofcourse playing through an amp with the can modeller on isn't ideal but should still give an idea)

This is really upsetting at the momment, as I was really excited to get to using the AX8 for home recording and playing gigs (selling all my pedals etc off) - I'm trying to avoid just giving the unit back as I got a good deal with a case etc included, but being in the U.K ther doesn't seem to be many places who can help with fractal gear.

Any help would be much appreciated; are there any typical hardware faults to be aware of? Or anything I can try?

Thanks you in advance all

My monitors are Behrinnger MS20
Sorry to say this is probably the reason. A high quality amp modeler going through very inexpensive speakers will end up sounding inexpensive.

It’s unlikely that a hardware issue is making it sound bad.

Going through the real guitar amp requires changing several settings so that could have been non-optimal as well. Valvetronics amps are also lower priced components unfortunately.

the AX8 can sound good through inexpensive equipment, but if those speakers can’t produce a true full range of sound, then that limits what it can do. Playing it live/in-person is different than hearing it on a recording as well. Video compression etc is made to sound good on laptop speakers, but live playing is way more dynamic and can show the weaknesses of certain speakers.

You took the right step with the AX8 for sure. Hundreds if not thousands of people play it everyday. A better speaker will let the high quality of the AX8 shine through. It’s hard to recommend what to adjust for your current setup since we aren’t there with you, but it is possible though it won’t compare to a speaker with just a bit more quality.

what can help here is posting a recording of what you hear, so we can hear it and help you. Right now we’re at “it doesn’t sound good” and that could mean anything.

Sorry to say this is probably the reason. A high quality amp modeler going through very inexpensive speakers will end up sounding inexpensive.

It’s unlikely that a hardware issue is making it sound bad.

Going through the real guitar amp requires changing several settings so that could have been non-optimal as well. Valvetronics amps are also lower priced components unfortunately.

the AX8 can sound good through inexpensive equipment, but if those speakers can’t produce a true full range of sound, then that limits what it can do. Playing it live/in-person is different than hearing it on a recording as well. Video compression etc is made to sound good on laptop speakers, but live playing is way more dynamic and can show the weaknesses of certain speakers.

You took the right step with the AX8 for sure. Hundreds if not thousands of people play it everyday. A better speaker will let the high quality of the AX8 shine through. It’s hard to recommend what to adjust for your current setup since we aren’t there with you, but it is possible though it won’t compare to a speaker with just a bit more quality.

what can help here is posting a recording of what you hear, so we can hear it and help you. Right now we’re at “it doesn’t sound good” and that could mean anything.

Hi Chris, thanks for coming back to me so quickly; it's much appreciated. One of the reasons I decided upon the AX8 was the great support and community I saw here when I was researching what to buy.

Regarding my speakers, they aren't the most expensive speakers, but they are studio monitor speakers with high dynamic range, and guitars I've recorded in Logic with the built in plug-ins sound as intended. I hear what you are saying about YouTube videos, however the ones I'm comparing to are mostly recorded direct and if my speakers couldn't pickup certain frequencies, wouldn't the sounds on YouTube also sound off?
With the BE 100 preset for example, straight away I can hear that my sound doesn't have anywhere near as much gain, depth and clarity of sound (the videos I've seen sound just like real amps) - it's almost as if I'm playing with the volume rolled off like the signal isn't hitting the amp hard enough (I've tried playing with the different padding options in the ax8 settings) music in general on my speakers also sounds good (guitars sound as they should etc).
I will record and post some clips as requested, but I've also noticed when checking to make sure that power amp/cab modelling is on, if I switch off power amp modelling the volume is higher and the signal really clips and distorts, when switching the power amp modelling back on it's quieter.

Last edited:
Hi Ozzy, fellow UK user here!!

Is the Power Amp and Cab Modelling set to On in the global menus?

The other thing I would do with any used unit is factory reset it completely - remove everything and reinstall the factory presets.

Hi Ozzy, fellow UK user here!!

Is the Power Amp and Cab Modelling set to On in the global menus?

The other thing I would do with any used unit is factory reset it completely - remove everything and reinstall the factory presets.

Hi WelshLukther,
Yep - I have amp and cab sim on and have reset everything; reinstalled the latest firmware before reinstalling the preset pack.

I forgot to ask; can anyone here post a sample of the machine gun preset here? I'm sure the univibe on mine doesn't sound right at all; as with my amp sounds, it's like everything is a pale comparison of what it should be (I'm sure I've heard the univibe sound just as it should on videos - has that real analogue sound which us unique to the univibe - I've owned the real one in the past; should have sold it; discontinued and worth a mint now:)!...)

Hi

I'm in the UK too, send me a PM and let's see if we can have a call - I've had Fractal for about 3 years now might be able to help

Pete

I recorded i test - what's the best way to let everyone hear? (I don't think I have privileges to post urls yet?

I've uploaded a test to soundcloud (thanks for the heads up admin):
Listen to AX8 test Fractal by OzzyUK on #SoundCloud

The test starts with the BE1 patch I made (exactly like Leon Todd's video just the amp block with one of the OH cabs), and then I go through some factory presets (double verb, super verb, BE1 preset , recto modern (you can hear that one is very tame chugwise compared to how it should be) and the machine gun preset (rotovibe sounds off on that - very basic)
It doesn't sound terrible, but it's just lacking the balls and complexity that it should - the amps sound like heads with worn out valves in, or like an amp which is on lower volume; kind of under a blanket or as if I have the volume knob turned down on my guitar half way?

Guitar used is a me so Paul standard with a set of slash pickups installed straight in to the AX8, then out to my focusrite 2i4 sound module, into my Mac and recorded via Logic- no clipping warning on any of the units.

Listening to that recording again, it really reminds me of a time I was in a studio recording with a band I was in at the time; I brought my JCM900 i had at the time and the engineer took a direct out from the back of the head and it sounded anemic and like i'd lost about 50% of my tone/signal and I made him mic up my 4x12 instead. The AX8 kind of sounds like by the time my signal reaches the amp sim it's sucked all the tone or level (or it sounds like the cab sims aren't working properly)

Thanks again for everyone's help - I really want to get this unit sounding great, as I have big plans for using it to record and gig with once live music is back! (Planning on selling nearly all my gear if I can get it sounding amazing)

Last edited:
Listening through the speakers on my MacBook. Sounds good to me. If that was pumping through a PA I think it would sound great IMO.

Going through studio monitors versus FRFRs or a PA will greatly change your perceived tone. But again I hear good tone thru my MacBook speakers.

Hi all, quick thing I noticed; for dirty amp presets I sound that if I turn off power amp modelling in the global settings, the sound is much more clear and transparent, the gain is there, but like it's not under a blanket and all compressed? Feels like the tone and signal of my guitar is coming through much more and it "sings" more with more attack (found this with both the Brit 800 and BE1 presets.
If I choose one of the clean amp presets though, the signal majorly clips like the signal is way too loud.
Is this normal?

Try to tweak these settings (page 5 of the manual)

INPUT 1 [INSTRUMENT] LEVELS The AX8 comes ready-to-use for the typical guitar with passive pickups. Connect a guitar to INPUT 1. Choose your loudest pickup setting and set all the guitar controls to “wide open.” Play loud, open chords to push the levels as you watch the IN 1 [INSTRUMENT] meter LEDs. It’s OK to tickle the red LED once in a while, but if you push too hard, the input will clip and you’ll need to pad the input as follows: Press SETUP followed by footswitch 2 for the “I/O” menu. It should open to the “LEVELS“ page. Turn E/NAV to select INSTRUMENT INPUT PAD. Turn the “A” knob to Increase this setting beyond 6dB, 12dB or 18dB. Be aware that as you increase this PAD setting you also increase the noise floor, so set it as low as possible. Conversely, if you can set this to 0dB for a guitar with quiet output, you’ll get even better signal-to-noise performance.
OUT 1 LEVELS OUT 1 [MAIN] XLR and 1/4" Humbuster™ jacks are ready to be connected to professional line-level +4dBu inputs. If you are connecting to consumer-grade equipment operating at -10 dbV, please set the nominal output level as follows: Press SETUP; Press footswitch 2 for the I/O menu; Turn to the LEVELS page. Turn E/NAV to select MAIN OUT NOMINAL LEVEL and change this setting to “-10 dBV”.

Maybe try contacting Leon directly for some guidance. I don’t have much time 2 go through endless tutorials so I troubleshooted via zoom with him & he helped me improve my understanding using of my gear. I’m planning a few more in the future as not everyone uses fractal gear.

Hi all, quick thing I noticed; for dirty amp presets I sound that if I turn off power amp modelling in the global settings, the sound is much more clear and transparent, the gain is there, but like it's not under a blanket and all compressed? Feels like the tone and signal of my guitar is coming through much more and it "sings" more with more attack (found this with both the Brit 800 and BE1 presets.
If I choose one of the clean amp presets though, the signal majorly clips like the signal is way too loud.
Is this normal?
If you’re available in the next 30 minutes, I can live stream and help you on YouTube. Do you happen to use Discord by chance? It’s 10pm here and I can only make noise for the next hour or so. If you happen to be available now let me know with a reply here.

If you’re available in the next 30 minutes, I can live stream and help you on YouTube. Do you happen to use Discord by chance? It’s 10pm here and I can only make noise for the next hour or so. If you happen to be available now let me know with a reply here.

Hi Chris, thank you so much- I'd my amp at the chance, but it's the morning in the u.k and I'm about to start work for the day. Later I'm going to mess with changing my input levels and padding in case it's a gain staging issue and I will report back.
Thanks again

Hi Chris, thank you so much- I'd my amp at the chance, but it's the morning in the u.k and I'm about to start work for the day. Later I'm going to mess with changing my input levels and padding in case it's a gain staging issue and I will report back.
Thanks again
ok no prob, thought it was early enough over there! i might be able to help this evening for you, depending on how early it is for me here. lemme know later if you have some time and i'll check in to see if it lines up.

Maybe try contacting Leon directly for some guidance. I don’t have much time 2 go through endless tutorials so I troubleshooted via zoom with him & he helped me improve my understanding using of my gear. I’m planning a few more in the future as not everyone uses fractal gear.
I’d love to do that. How do we contact Leon?

Love Leon's tones via his Fractal's and his posts are very helpful. Would be cool to work with him one on one. Will give it a shot. Thx much.

Back
Top Bottom