Please help! AX8 seems to have serious issues

fwiw i have yamaha HS7 (a significantly better monitor than the MS20) and still the AX8 sounds kinda weak and lifeless if i ignore the reality... that being that I am not listening through a 12" speaker in a big cab at high volumes...

In my case, since i run the same set of outs to a PA speaker as to my monitors, I use a parametric EQ in my MOTU interface to add some low end body and LP & HP filters.. played at some volume and it sounds vastly better & highly usable.. and for comparison by adding some EQ to your soundcloud feed also makes a huge improvement.

remember that you have a global EQ on both out 1 and out 2 specifically for this purpose.. to match your presets to the listening environment.. so imo i suggest to find or make a patch that you KNOW what it should sound like, then use the global EQ for best results in your space with your monitors

hello, my ax8 isnt as loud as my axe 3 is.ive tired what it says to do .push setup the pedal 2 nothing happens.im looking to see if its set to +4.theres a big diff between my axe 3 i know thats set right and this ax8 i bought it used so

hello, my ax8 isnt as loud as my axe 3 is.ive tired what it says to do .push setup the pedal 2 nothing happens.im looking to see if its set to +4.theres a big diff between my axe 3 i know thats set right and this ax8 i bought it used so
Did you backup and perform a reset? Maybe that might solve the volume issue.

Or since it is used, is the input or output blocks set to lower volumes?

Hi all,

I'm in the U.K and recently bought a used AX8 from a pro musician who used the unit without any issues- due to the covid situation I was unable to try the unit out before buying, but the seller has done his best to be helpful.

I've seen other similar threads, but none with anyone saying they managed to fix the issue.

Essentially, I think there maybe be an issue with the AX8 hardware, as none if the presets sound anywhere as good as clips I've heard online - it almost sounds like I'm plugged in to an old zoom pedal - I know The AX8 is supposed to sound amazing out of the box.

I also followed Leon Todd's video on how to create a present, whereby I used AX edit to create a new present using a Freidman amp with a particular cab - I followed everything to the letter (amp settings when selecting the freidman came up exactly like Leons) - the sound is completely different; much less gain and overall lifeless quality/sound in comparison.

Here is my setup:

Les Paul (I've tried 2 LP's go the with passive pickups- one with a hotter slash set)
Les Paul in to the AX8 input, L out into my focusrite 2i4 (I've tried both XLR and 1/4" guitar cable).
My monitors are Behrinnger MS20 and I've tried monitoring through logic X and without and also through headphones connected to the 2i4 - all sound boot right.

Things I've tried;
Playing with input levels on the 2i4 making sure there's no clipping, changing the input padding on the AX8.
I've factory reset the parameters, uninstalled all the presets, reinstalled the latest firmware and reinstalled all the factory presents- it still sounds not as it should.
Another example of things not being right are say the "machine gun" preset- the univibe doesn't sound right at all; it just sounds like an average phaser.

I also tried the unit playing through a vox valtronics amp just on a very clean setting and the same issue is there (ofcourse playing through an amp with the can modeller on isn't ideal but should still give an idea)

This is really upsetting at the momment, as I was really excited to get to using the AX8 for home recording and playing gigs (selling all my pedals etc off) - I'm trying to avoid just giving the unit back as I got a good deal with a case etc included, but being in the U.K ther doesn't seem to be many places who can help with fractal gear.

Any help would be much appreciated; are there any typical hardware faults to be aware of? Or anything I can try?

Thanks you in advance all
Hi OzzyUK,

I have a similar issue, I bought an AX8 and currently playing it through Powered PA monitors using a custom shop Strat with single coil pick ups. Im a little disappointed frankly it does not sound great compared to a real amp. Doesn't anything you find on YT clips I hear. There is no crunch. I also have a 1980s Les Paul which I play through it. The sound is silky smooth sound, no crunch. Someone said increase the "gain", but I am unsure exactly what they mean? Increase Level?, Master? etc.

Did you finally work out how to improve the sound.

they mean turn the gain knob on the ax8 it self.plus you might want to check out theinput level mine was on -10 when i put it on +4 seemed to sound better..mines in the shop now sent it in to get the treble knob fixed now wont boot up for them. can you take it back to the guy you bought it from or is it to late?get another one?

I have no problem achieving great sounds with my newly purchased ax8 with nothing more than a usa fender strat and a tube Vox AC4. It sounds much clearer and better than my pedals. The Fractal units do a fantastic shimmer! I assume you've solved your problem by now.. but if you haven't try downloading some presets of AXE EXCHANGE and see if their settings make the sound better... Some are better than others but I've gotten some pretty awesome sounds out of those downloadable presets and cabs. Also if you're looking into tube amps instead of monitors check out the VOX tube series ... they sound fantastic with the AX8. I know first hand. Honestly, the choice of tube amp/monitors will make the biggest difference to your sound assuming you've got your presets setup properly! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom