Please explain to my silly brain?

Claude M

Inspired
Hi guys.
I was talking to Danny Danzi and we were trying to work out a routing question. It's probably a dumb question but we simply don't know the answer!
Please, can someone tell me what is the difference in running shunts from the reverb block to the output in video link 1 provided at 0.53 seconds

In this video, the delay is routed to the main shunt and also in parallel as well as routed to the reverb in parallel and then the reverb is routed to the output in it's own shunt, so there are 2 lines of shunts to the output - doesn't this make things louder and why would you do this?

In video 2 at 0.29 seconds

the shunts from the reverb in parallel go back down the the main shunt to have one line of shunts to the output. This is how I do it. Is there any benefit of routing in Video 1 versus Video 2?

In video 1, you can pan the reverb in the output and also have additional control on the level - so if you sent more than just the reverb to that same output, you would be able to apply the same panning and level adjustment. To make this work you would need to set the reverb mix to 100%, and then you can pan it in the output. I guess this is the same as panning it directly, but the power here is the flexibility of all the options.

This is the benefit I see that is useful for me, there might be better more useful posts after mine though!

Right now i'm a boring series guy.
I think the best presets i've tried have all run parallel reverb though so this is also something i need to understand too.
Those presets sound great too!

Didn't watch the videos.

Merging the reverb with the main routing (video 2) is the same as maintaining two separate signals (video 1), because the two separate signals are merged anyway in the Output block.

Based on the images, the only differences are:

1) In video 2 the Reverb output is affected by the Filter settings. In video 1 there's no Filter.

2) In video 1 you can use the Output mixer (in the Output block) to adjust the levels and panning of rows 1 and 2. While in video 2 you can only adjust row 2.

3) In video 1 Reverb is set to X, and in video Reverb is set to Y.

When adding reverb in a parallel routing, like in videos 1 and 2, the Bypass Mode should be set to Mute In or Out, to prevent volume differences between engaged and bypassed Reverb.

Right now i'm a boring series guy.
I think the best presets i've tried have all run parallel reverb though so this is also something i need to understand too.
Those presets sound great too!

There's no difference in tone. But it's easier to set the desired reverb level without affecting the dry signal's level..

Sorry guys. I'm not sure if I explained it properly.
My questions not about the preset, the difference between the reverbs or parallel routing - I understand how parallel routing works and it's settings.
My question is more about why does one shunt go from the right of the reverb block in video 1 to the output, parallel to the other shunts where the amp and cab etc sit, whereas in video 2, the shunt coming from the right of the reverb block goes down and joins the main shunt where the amp and cab etc are placed?
eg Video 1: the shunts look like this =
Video 2: the shunts look like this -
Trust it makes sense. I can't even explain it properly!

As I wrote:

Merging the reverb with the main routing (video 2) is the same as maintaining two separate signals (video 1), because the two separate signals are merged anyway in the Output block.

As I wrote:

I understand. You do get a louder volume signal with 2 separate paths versus one path don't you?
There's no audible advantage either way is there?

Sorry guys. I'm not sure if I explained it properly.
My questions not about the preset, the difference between the reverbs or parallel routing - I understand how parallel routing works and it's settings.
My question is more about why does one shunt go from the right of the reverb block in video 1 to the output, parallel to the other shunts where the amp and cab etc sit, whereas in video 2, the shunt coming from the right of the reverb block goes down and joins the main shunt where the amp and cab etc are placed?
eg Video 1: the shunts look like this =
Video 2: the shunts look like this -
Trust it makes sense. I can't even explain it properly!

The end result is the same, the users who built the presets just took different paths to get there; so there is no specific reason for the different layout other than what we have mentioned in this thread. You could say that maybe Jason specifically wanted to route his signal through the Filter block in video 2, and you could assume that if he specifically didn't want the reverb to go through the Filter block then he would have probably sent the signal/shunt straight to the output block (parallel).

You could also (maybe) say that the user in video 1 felt they had more control over the reverb with using a parallel path.

You say you do understand parallel routing - this is good because it is the same thing except that the shunts are not going to another effect block of some sort, they are going to the Output block which if you click on it you will see it also has some parameters (Pan and Level I think).

Hope this answers your question better?

I understand. You do get a louder volume signal with 2 separate paths versus one path don't you?
There's no audible advantage either way is there?
You don't get a louder volume, if you set things up correctly, when using parrallel effects. Set Bypass to Mute in or Mute out so that, when disengaged, no sound is outputted (is that a word?) from the FX block. Any other bypass mode will lead to volume difference.

The end result is the same, the users who built the presets just took different paths to get there; so there is no specific reason for the different layout other than what we have mentioned in this thread. You could say that maybe Jason specifically wanted to route his signal through the Filter block in video 2, and you could assume that if he specifically didn't want the reverb to go through the Filter block then he would have probably sent the signal/shunt straight to the output block (parallel).

You could also (maybe) say that the user in video 1 felt they had more control over the reverb with using a parallel path.

You say you do understand parallel routing - this is good because it is the same thing except that the shunts are not going to another effect block of some sort, they are going to the Output block which if you click on it you will see it also has some parameters (Pan and Level I think).

Hope this answers your question better?[/QUOTE

Great answer! Thx chucma and Yek.

You don't get a louder volume, if you set things up correctly, when using parrallel effects. Set Bypass to Mute in or Mute out so that, when disengaged, no sound is outputted (is that a word?) from the FX block. Any other bypass mode will lead to volume difference.

Thx hole!

Back
Top Bottom