• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

    Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Please explain to me why some ppl prefer v 9.0?

Cron

Inspired
I've read the amp poll thread but im finding it hard to put a handle on what exactly it is that people that play heavy music are missing with 9.2 vs 9.0.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks
 

VegaBaby

Fractal Fanatic
Cron said:
I've read the amp poll thread but im finding it hard to put a handle on what exactly it is that people that play heavy music are missing with 9.2 vs 9.0.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks
The fear of having to retweak :lol: . Actually, sometimes I find myself in that exact same position, but once you go in it usually turns out to be nicer in the end. If that little thing called times just wouldn't exist ;)
 

marshall2553

Experienced
In my opinion there was a vast improvement in 9.02 in top end chime/sweetness and an increased bouncy feel in the clean to mid gain models. But this same sweetness and bounce can be found in the high gain models too, that I think felt more aggressive and present in 9.0. IMHO of course, and Cliff has already mentioned giving us the ability to tweak this in the future so I'm not complaining.
 

Guitarbot

Inspired
I am probably off base, but for me...I haven't tried anything beyond 9.0. My set up prior to 9.0 was always bright harsh & the presets I downloaded from others sounded like so high pitched that I couldn't believe people were actually using them. 9.0 did away with that problem for me. Now I have heard that 9.02 brings back crispness, etc & that isn't something that I am currently missing. I am using: Strat>AXE>QSC - HPR Series - HPR122i (with roland vg-8 input to AXE as input 2) all controlled by LF Pro.
 
If you could explain to me why some people like the color blue better than the color red or why some people like ice cream better than cake then I could explain to you why some people prefer certain sounds to other sounds. A vague, general term used to describe this phenomenon is "opinion". It's a subjective thing.........I'm afraid no one is going to be able to explain it to you in much detail. I know it's a totally shocking thing, but everyone is different, they hear things differently, they feel things differently, they have different preferences, wants, needs, desires............we live in a big wide world filled with opinions that are often going to vary from your own. Some of those crazy opinions might not make sense to you, but you're gonna have to get used to it or you will end up living a frustrated life.

Hope I was able to help. :idea:
 

megalowmatt

Member
I agree with Peter. Call me sick in the head, but something I have enjoyed is starting from scratch and building new patches after each firmware update. It's been interesting to see the progression...back in 5.xx I always had a graphic or parametric eq in the chain. Over time I noticed eq's were not needed. As we progressed to 9.0 it became easier to get a great sound by simply starting with the amp block's tone controls at noon. Add to that my patches are a jumbled mess and I can never remember which ones I set up for direct use or for an external amp/speaker. Somebody is probably reading this and cringing!
 

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
megalowmatt said:
Call me sick in the head, but something I have enjoyed is starting from scratch and building new patches after each firmware update... Somebody is probably reading this and cringing!

I'm cringing. I wish I had your discretionary time.
 

GM Arts

Power User
Every "amp improvement" release, including both v9.00 and v9.02, has resulted in some of my patches sounding a little better and some sounding a little worse. But after minor tweaks over a few weeks, they all sound a lot better than they used to.

I think it's been so long since v9.00 that some folks have forgotten what they went through to adapt to that change. Anyway we'll soon have our own "version knob" to roll back in real time to an earlier version. :)
 

Jay Mitchell

Fractal Fanatic
GM Arts said:
Every "amp improvement" release, including both v9.00 and v9.02, has resulted in some of my patches sounding a little better and some sounding a little worse.
That's been my experience as well. Once I've adapted to a particular set of parameters, the concept of "more accurate" is irrelevant. When the amp sims are made "more accurate" - or "less accurate," it really doesn't matter - the problem is not whether they are "better" or "worse," it's that they are no longer what I dialed in.

But after minor tweaks over a few weeks, they all sound a lot better than they used to.
My presets tend to evolve over time regardless, so it's difficult to be certain that a firmware revision made them "better" or "worse." I've not yet been tempted to revert to a prior rev., although 9.00 got me closer to that feeling than any prior one. 9.02 required much less alteration of my presets than 9.00, however. When it becomes available, I will experiment with the "wayback knob" on my Marshall presets, but I don't contemplate actually leaving it in the "past."
 

AndrewSimon

Power User
Guitarbot said:
I am probably off base, but for me...I haven't tried anything beyond 9.0. My set up prior to 9.0 was always bright harsh & the presets I downloaded from others sounded like so high pitched that I couldn't believe people were actually using them. 9.0 did away with that problem for me. Now I have heard that 9.02 brings back crispness, etc & that isn't something that I am currently missing. I am using: Strat>AXE>QSC - HPR Series - HPR122i (with roland vg-8 input to AXE as input 2) all controlled by LF Pro.

I find the opposite is true with V9.02
It's the first time you can have a bright setting without sounding harsh.
Of course you don't have to have a bright setting... it's all in there.

;)
 

Cron

Inspired
Peter Hundley said:
If you could explain to me why some people like the color blue better than the color red or why some people like ice cream better than cake then I could explain to you why some people prefer certain sounds to other sounds. A vague, general term used to describe this phenomenon is "opinion". It's a subjective thing.........I'm afraid no one is going to be able to explain it to you in much detail. I know it's a totally shocking thing, but everyone is different, they hear things differently, they feel things differently, they have different preferences, wants, needs, desires............we live in a big wide world filled with opinions that are often going to vary from your own. Some of those crazy opinions might not make sense to you, but you're gonna have to get used to it or you will end up living a frustrated life.

Hope I was able to help. :idea:

You misunderstood my request. But in all fairness i shouldve made the title "you guys who prefer 9.0.....tell me why". That said...... your little nuggets of "wisdom" above was a bit over the top and off-topic.

I want to know specifics from the actual guys who prefer 9.0. So far what ive noticed from 9.2 is the high end sounds less brittle....but not duller. The fender sims are brighter but I wouldnt really call 9.2 that much brighter overall.

The other thing ive noticed playing through my 4x12 cabs and ss amp is that 9.2 feels a bit less direct on high gain patches. Like i said its less brittle which I like but.... for high gain....... im hearing a tiny bit of that boss gt-8 distant modeler sound (flame suit on)
Putting the axe-fx through a marshall 9200 (power amp sims off and on) and into the same cabs sounded a great deal more present and lively. And running my friends engl 530 preamp into the marshall 9200 I heard a clarity of depth that I couldnt really match with the axe-fx. But more testing and tweaking is surely needed.

FWIW I made new patches for my listening tests. My conclusion is that I prefer 9.2.... but I'm actually using more graphic and para eq's (the opposite of what most are saying their doing) with better results than before.... for instance.... with 9.0... dialing in high end on a para eq would easily result in nasty brittle sounding highs... with 9.2 it sounds more natural.

What are you guys hearing?
 

Cron

Inspired
had another listen today. Seems like i'm having to turn the bass knob way up compared to before were i never went over 4. Overall i think 9.02 sounds really really good and for the 1st time theres a whole lotta difference when i listening to different high gain sims through the same cab.
 

VegaBaby

Fractal Fanatic
The funny thing I noticed yesterday is that the whole 'tweak with your eyes' is back on :lol: . Just for test purposes I dialed in a Twin with the exact same settings used on the Fender site in some of their demo videos and low and behold, apart from a different guitar and fingers it sounded soooooo spot on.

Like mentioned before, with 9.0 I usually dialed the bass way down. On a Twin I could have never had it like in some clips where it's around noon, but now...noon sounds absolutely right.

So...the term 'tweak with your ears' has become a little less important :lol:
 

InsideOut

Power User
VegaBaby said:
So...the term 'tweak with your ears' has become a little less important :lol:

I always tweak with my nose... it's the only way to know if your sound stinks :oops:

Hard to explain what the difference on high gain tones is for me, but I'm still tending to like 9 better. 9.02 isn't more brittle, but it seems thinner and less juicy to me. Tweaking highs down and lows up and all over the place has not helped. It just doesn't sound as warm to me. I'm not saying it sounds bad by any means (it IS and axefx after all :lol: ) but I'm looking forward to the flux capacitor knob so I can tell once and for all if it's all in my head.
 

VegaBaby

Fractal Fanatic
InsideOut said:
VegaBaby said:
So...the term 'tweak with your ears' has become a little less important :lol:

I always tweak with my nose... it's the only way to know if your sound stinks :oops:

Hard to explain what the difference on high gain tones is for me, but I'm still tending to like 9 better. 9.02 isn't more brittle, but it seems thinner and less juicy to me. Tweaking highs down and lows up and all over the place has not helped. It just doesn't sound as warm to me. I'm not saying it sounds bad by any means (it IS and axefx after all :lol: ) but I'm looking forward to the flux capacitor knob so I can tell once and for all if it's all in my head.
I guess what I mean is that where the controls tend to end up for a specific sound looks a lot more like it would on the real counterpart. Before 9.02 the same sound on a real amp and the Axe could end up looking entirely different. Not that that matters, just an observation...
 
Top Bottom