Wish Please add special processing for In Ear Monitors

My Axe fx III sounds great to my FRFR and to my DAW. But does not sound good in my Ultimate Ears 7 professional grade In Ear Monitors. Please add special processing for In Ear Monitors. Maybe a special BLOCK with FullRez IR designed to sound good on those Tiny Drivers in the IEMs and that can be routed to a separate output for the IEMs.

Have you tried sending your IEM feed to output 2 or output 3 and using the global out eq to shape the tone? Just a suggestion

Shouldn't this be an option in the ears themselves? Must every audio company on earth adapt to that technology?
I think that technology belongs in monitor boards.
The new Digico Q225 has "Quantum" processing which includes EQ and dynamic on every aux send per channel. Add to that Klang processing (specially designed for in-ear monitoring) and you're "in the space".
That being said, I never found all that stuff necessary. I get amazing sound in my in ears. The axe has so much goodness that the tone, feel, spaciousness envelops me and I need for nothing.
I also set a couple of ambiance mics up and add a little into my IEM mix. (A little goes a long way).
There IS a trick I do use, I ALSO have a wedge on stage so there is interaction between guitar and sound. I keep it low so it does not overwhelm but loud enough so that those who prefer to use live stage sound can still hear me (and in case IEMs fail for some reason).

So no, I don't feel anything missing in the axe to give an amazing IEM experience.

My Fractal products all sound great with my JH Audio IEMs. No complaints and have no desire to add any "processing".

Aaaaaand as soon as I open my mouth, I had my first IEM ‘event’ last night where the singer (=sound guy) accidentally bumped up my monitor feed. Ears still hurt.

I would be happy with a hard limiter block. I tried doing this with compression but the results were unsatisfactory.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/using-compressor-as-a-limiter.170438/

A limiter block would save me having to buy an actual IEM system. Otherwise I’m happy just plugging in to the axe directly.

Aaaaaand as soon as I open my mouth, I had my first IEM ‘event’ last night where the singer (=sound guy) accidentally bumped up my monitor feed. Ears still hurt.

I would be happy with a hard limiter block. I tried doing this with compression but the results were unsatisfactory.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/using-compressor-as-a-limiter.170438/

A limiter block would save me having to buy an actual IEM system. Otherwise I’m happy just plugging in to the axe directly.
Again, this belongs on the monitor console.
Your monitor feed is not "monitored" by the Axe FX. Even a hard limiter on your grid will do nothing for you if the singer bumps your mix fader.

My Axe fx III sounds great to my FRFR and to my DAW. But does not sound good in my Ultimate Ears 7 professional grade In Ear Monitors. Please add special processing for In Ear Monitors. Maybe a special BLOCK with FullRez IR designed to sound good on those Tiny Drivers in the IEMs and that can be routed to a separate output for the IEMs.
Already exists. Use a separate output and IR loader for full res IRs.

Again, this belongs on the monitor console.
Your monitor feed is not "monitored" by the Axe FX. Even a hard limiter on your grid will do nothing for you if the singer bumps your mix fader.
Monitor mix comes from desk to input 2, then to iem via output 1.

Monitor mix comes from desk to input 2, then to iem via output 1.
Well then I guess your monitor feed IS monitored by the Axe FX.
Personally I don't recommend this, as you're adding at least one more A/D-D/A into your in ear signal path and this adds latency. Not a major problem unless you sing.
But in your case, I can see how a limiter would be somewhat useful.
Most professional (wireless) IEMs these days have a built in limiter.

Yeah latency doesn’t bother me, if it’s there it’s imperceptible. I initially didn’t get a wireless unit because I just wanted to try ears to see if I liked them. And since it’s been working fine I haven’t upgraded. Open to suggestions for decent budget options 😀 but a limiter right in the axe would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom