Pleasantly Surprised with Über! OwnHammer Modern Cabs in the mix

Hey Guys,

I always kind of "liked" playing with the Euro Uber, but I never really LOVED it until the G3 - Sure, you have to dork around and fidget with things to get it sounding how you want to, but after a lot of research into the amp it seems that's the way the original is as well. At any rate, I made up a little thing this morning using OwnHammer's new cabs - The Mesa Modern with just a touch of the Diezel Modern, which gives the sound just a touch more bite in the top end. At any rate, I hope you enjoy it!

EDIT: Not sure what's wrong with the SC embedding, but the link works just fine. Funky.

Hey Guys,

I always kind of "liked" playing with the Euro Uber, but I never really LOVED it until the G3 - Sure, you have to dork around and fidget with things to get it sounding how you want to, but after a lot of research into the amp it seems that's the way the original is as well. At any rate, I made up a little thing this morning using OwnHammer's new cabs - The Mesa Modern with just a touch of the Diezel Modern, which gives the sound just a touch more bite in the top end. At any rate, I hope you enjoy it!

EDIT: Not sure what's wrong with the SC embedding, but the link works just fine. Funky.

sounds great

Thanks man! Like I said, I was quite surprised with how much more useful the Uber became after this update. There's actually quite a few great settings on that amp now, whereas before I found it difficult to find more than two or so sweet spots!

Thanks man! Like I said, I was quite surprised with how much more useful the Uber became after this update. There's actually quite a few great settings on that amp now, whereas before I found it difficult to find more than two or so sweet spots!

Yeah that and the Deizels I was interested in ,Cliff had mentioned he had figured out the Deep controls which gave the Uber ,20th Shiva and of chorus Deizels that sub low chunk and "thud" if you played with the depth control.

One question about tube type can you change the uber to Kt88"s ???

I'd be interested to hear some people's settings with the G3 Uber. I had it pretty nailed down before, but I'm finding the bass even more overbearing now and hard to tame.

In the case of the Uber, the tone knobs are meant for pretty extreme values as that's where they start to show their true character. Putting everything to 5 has never worked for me with this amp in combination with my cab choices and guitar (7 string BRJ Jekyll 727 with calibrated BKP Holydivers). Here are my settings left to right on Axe Edit:

Input Drive: 3.94
Bass: 1.73
Mid: 5.43
Treb: 8.03
Presence: 7.95
MV: 2.28

Don't touch the Depth knob. It's set for the depth circuit built into the Überschall Twin Jet. Other than that, the ONLY thing I changed on the amp was the Dynamics knob, which I changed from 0 to 0.15 - it's a really powerful control so a dab will do ya'.

Here's the final secret sauce: I fought for a while with going back and forth between using drives to tighten up the amps on the Axe, but... I just don't like doing it. I feel like the individual quality of the amps are lost when we start clipping the input and everything starts going toward a unified sound. There's nothing wrong with that and a lot of guys get AWESOME results with it. But I have just always felt it takes something away from the amps. And Hell it might just be the way I dial tones pushes me that way. There's certainly a lot of dudes who get great results using the on-board drives or analog units in conjunction with the amp.

Engaging the bass cut takes away some of that "ampy" quality I love about my heavy rock sound. So instead I took some advice direct from Nolly and a few guys on the forum and I started using filters in front of the amp. Sometimes I boost the filter signal. Sometimes I don't. Mostly I don't. In this case, I set the filter lowcut at 250. That ends up fixing the last bit of tub I can't seem to dial out of the amp. Granted there's filtering in the mix and a little EQ here and there too, but I could go straight in without anything else and I'd be "happy" with the sound.

I filter anywhere from 150-600 depending upon the amp in question, but I tend to fall heavier in the 150-250 range most of the time given the sound I'm looking for.

Sounds awesome dude! Very nice "ampy" tone indeed!

Those drums sound great too... what do you have going on there?

Last edited:
Thanks erock! The drums are a mix of Superior Drummer Metal Foundry and an ambient snare mic from the Hit Factory pack (GMS Maple/Ash). Everything is processed in superior drummers mixer, which is a first for me. For more important stuff I'll be using the "bounce" function and working with audio. But I'm pleasantly surprised with how far I can get for rough takes with just mixing in SD 2.0 - the effects are actually damn nice!

hey!
gotta chime in here, because i really came to love the uber lately!

nice tune, nice sound and nice playing, but hey, could it be that you lost one 8th note on the way? ;) ... just kidding....

with fw18 i got the impression (not just with the uber) the decay of a note is more musical than before. i really like that!
i actually had a diezel herbert in analogue life, stuck to the axe herbie for quite a while, but after driving all different kind of high gainers i got hooked on the uber!

attached a small excerpt of the uber in fw18, git is a 6 string mayones baritone, uber is driven with a t808mod, cab is a blend of a diezel 4x12 with k100s and a vht cab with p50. please note that the strings of the git as well as the bass probably have a birthday party in a few days ...

chris

I love the bite and yet still has a silky feel on the overdrive. Nice tone and texture and absolutely awesome mix. "raises lighter and screams.....MORE" :)

cool .it's funny I never hear people talk about that parameter ,yet its seems it would be very cool for putting 34's in a recto ,or Kt66 in an SLO amp

try messing with 34s in the 5150 block or 5153 blue channel......I'm finding it schmexy

Thanks erock! The drums are a mix of Superior Drummer Metal Foundry and an ambient snare mic from the Hit Factory pack (GMS Maple/Ash). Everything is processed in superior drummers mixer, which is a first for me. For more important stuff I'll be using the "bounce" function and working with audio. But I'm pleasantly surprised with how far I can get for rough takes with just mixing in SD 2.0 - the effects are actually damn nice!

Nice, that's how I do it when doing demos as well... the plugs are totally fine in the software. Sonalksis used to make awesome stuff. Which mic positions on the OH stuff?

hey!
gotta chime in here, because i really came to love the uber lately!

nice tune, nice sound and nice playing, but hey, could it be that you lost one 8th note on the way? ;) ... just kidding....

What can I say? My janky mind likes janky rhythms! LOL. Seriously though - five and seven feel super natural to me. I've listened to so much crazy modern art music I don't even notice that I'm writing ideas in "weird" patterns any longer.

I love the bite and yet still has a silky feel on the overdrive. Nice tone and texture and absolutely awesome mix. "raises lighter and screams.....MORE" :)

Oh this idea is going to be fully developed. I probably won't do it with the uber though. I like the amp, but there are amps I like a lot more! And thank you for the mix compliment. The drum presets really work out if you tweak them right in SD - makes rough mixes a LOT more convincing.

Nice, that's how I do it when doing demos as well... the plugs are totally fine in the software. Sonalksis used to make awesome stuff. Which mic positions on the OH stuff?

The mic positions are both 03. The Diezel is pretty far down there - just enough to add some crispiness and snarl in the upper mids.

Yeah - I must confess that up until we talked about it recently, I really didn't have much time for the plugs within SD 2.0. They're actually super good! But I will still prefer to bounce and mix the audio files from raw for more serious projects simply because there's a lot more flexibility. It is nice, however, to be able to go through and write quick deals where the drums actually sound pretty good though!

Sounds great! As a drummer, that's just the kind of groove I'd love to smash!

Thanks, man! I love drums and rhythm. I can barely play for shit, but I studied polyrhythms like a son-of-a-gun in college so I've got a pretty good grasp of rhythm. This is by no means the groove phrasing's final form. Heck I didn't even program MIDI nodes for anything beyond the "center" hits on the snare - haha. I was just rifling through different amps and thought "Hey that actually sounds pretty promising" when I stopped at the Euro Uber. If you like this kind of groovy stuff then whenever I finally get around to actually recording my concept albums I have planned your face will probably melt off! :D

This reminds me of this little tune:

Had to scab from the movie, as the 'official soundtrack' didn't have a good....or seemingly correct.....example of it. Like, the beat was off.

Back
Top Bottom