Playing with some unsung heroes and the new OH Gibson Super Goldtone

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Lately, I've realized that I tend to use the same few amp sims for pretty much everything I'm working on and greatly needed a little breath of fresh air to inspire creativity for new projects. After exploring, I instantly fell in love with the Supremo Trem, Nuclear-Tone, and Gibtone Scout.

Back in February, Kevin shot IR's of an amp I bought 15 years ago. My trusty Gibson Super Goldtone. It's a 1x10-1x12 combo with a really unique tone that seemed to fit these amp models really well. Sometimes it's fun to think outside of the box and try something new and unique to unlock new ideas.

This is the sonic foundation I'm working on for a potential new project and I'd love to hear your feedback. Most of the guitars were done with the 10" speaker in the combo, the Celestion Vintage 10, and some parts were the Vintage 10 + Vintage 30 combination.

Thanks for listening!

Haha! Thanks! If they ever wanted to model it, I'd be happy to send it up there. I've even got the coveted 5-button switch that blends the two channels, which sounds really freaking cool when you want to blend a little dirty into your clean or a little clean clarity into your dirty tone. I read your other post and LOVE the fact that you have one of these. They're hard to come by!

Very beautiful guitars and chordplaying there! would also be a great song?
you got this feeling for absolut tasty guitarsounds!

Haha! Thanks! If they ever wanted to model it, I'd be happy to send it up there. I've even got the coveted 5-button switch that blends the two channels, which sounds really freaking cool when you want to blend a little dirty into your clean or a little clean clarity into your dirty tone. I read your other post and LOVE the fact that you have one of these. They're hard to come by!
Were you directing this to me , @JustinYork ? I dont have the original amp, I was just one of the early purchaser of the OH cab pack!... I also dumped a bunch of these IRs into
my (sheepish expression) Kemper, hoping to find a profile of that amp, but to little avail......but it really works with all manner of amp models across formats....

Very beautiful guitars and chordplaying there! would also be a great song?
you got this feeling for absolut tasty guitarsounds!

Thanks a lot for the kind words! This is what I call a "concept clip." It's the first stage I go through when writing a new song. It's a rough road map and I'll end up tweaking it and adding things to it and hopefully turn it into an actual song. I'm really glad you like it though. I think the track has some good potential. Hopefully good things will happen.

Were you directing this to me , @JustinYork ? I dont have the original amp, I was just one of the early purchaser of the OH cab pack!... I also dumped a bunch of these IRs into
my (sheepish expression) Kemper, hoping to find a profile of that amp, but to little avail......but it really works with all manner of amp models across formats....

Yes, that first response was directed at you, and I had confused you with Savage1969 who also posted on the OH V4 thread, so I apologize for the mistake. You had some really cool suggestions though, and I really want to try out the Morgan AC-20 and the Dr. Z amps with this cab as well. You should check out the Supremo Trem and Nuclear-Tone when you get some time. The cranked Supro vibe is a lot of fun to play with, and the Nuclear-Tone is like a boutique version of the Gibson Scout (according to the wiki) and sounds really nice clean or with a little breakup. I've also really liked the Orange AD-30 with this combo a lot as well. Let me know if you stumble across any more amps that you like with this cab. I'm always up for trying new things.

The classic rock clip on the Ownhammer website is nice too. Obviously another good pack from OH!

Thanks a lot! The main tone on that one was the Supremo Trem and then a little Friedman Small Box on the second half. I'm really glad you liked that one as well.

Thanks a lot for the kind words! This is what I call a "concept clip." It's the first stage I go through when writing a new song. It's a rough road map and I'll end up tweaking it and adding things to it and hopefully turn it into an actual song. I'm really glad you like it though. I think the track has some good potential. Hopefully good things will happen.

Yes, that first response was directed at you, and I had confused you with Savage1969 who also posted on the OH V4 thread, so I apologize for the mistake. You had some really cool suggestions though, and I really want to try out the Morgan AC-20 and the Dr. Z amps with this cab as well. You should check out the Supremo Trem and Nuclear-Tone when you get some time. The cranked Supro vibe is a lot of fun to play with, and the Nuclear-Tone is like a boutique version of the Gibson Scout (according to the wiki) and sounds really nice clean or with a little breakup. I've also really liked the Orange AD-30 with this combo a lot as well. Let me know if you stumble across any more amps that you like with this cab. I'm always up for trying new things.
Try the EF-86 variant of the AC20... I was using the NuclearTone before that, but it's got a very nice quality to it.

Try the EF-86 variant of the AC20... I was using the NuclearTone before that, but it's got a very nice quality to it.

I just had to stop by to say THANK YOU for the AC20 EF-86 tip. The "B" version is stunningly gorgeous for clean tones and slightly broken up chording with great body and detail. I can't believe I've overlooked this amp for so long. If you have the Gibson library, try it out with the V10 OH1F-07 IR and let me know what you think. I'm currently playing it with the Ambient Stereo Delay out front and it's just awesome. You may have just led me to my new favorite clean amp in the Axe.

Last edited:
I just had to stop by to say THANK YOU for the AC20 EF-86 tip. The "B" version is stunningly gorgeous for clean tones and slightly broken up chording with great body and detail. I can't believe I've overlooked this amp for so long. If you have the Gibson library, try it out with the V10 OH1F-07 IR and let me know what you think. I'm currently playing it with the Ambient Stereo Delay out front and it's just awesome. You may have just led me to my new favorite clean amp in the Axe.
Yes, this combination , as the young folk say, is the shit.

I don't have the Gibson Library (yet) but that's the amp I'm using to match one of my favorite Kemper profiles. I'm using the stock 1x12 /13 Mix for the IR. The overdrive character is just perfectly squishy!

Cool!

Several FWs back the AC20 B 12ax7 was my go to amp for edge of breakup but I moved away from it at some point. I randomly tried the EF-86 B version and was back on board!

I use it with a stereo cab that uses the cabIR.eu Orange and a free ac30 IR from @indeloon85.

Back
Top Bottom