Playing live. Low volume problem.

I had a quick tweak but ran out of time....anyhooo...my 2cents :)

Thank you very much. I'll download it now & run through it.

I have learnt from bradlake's take on it. The Amp block muting was something that made a huge difference. I hadn't picked up on that particular point before. Despite how many times I've read the manual. Coupled with the tip to use the Output at +4db everything is already sounding so much better!

Last edited:
I also think it's not RMS power so to get any volume out of that thing you would need to bridge it and blast it.

Thanks the output at +4db has made massive difference already. However you may well be correct & what I intend to do is to revert to a mono set up, for now at least, and bridge the amp. Maybe later I will revert to a stereo set up when I have more experience with the AF3 & associated set up.

However reverting to a mono set up has its own inherent challenges. Delays mostly I expect I'll be posting about the next!

Wow that is an interesting take dpeterson! It's gone the other way now, massively loud. I'll tweak it down a bit but it's sounding good.

Would you mind explaining why the drives are like they are? Why not one into the other? I've not seen that before.

(As noted below, yes I wrongly credited dpeterson for the second preset upload. It was Zedhed!)

Last edited:
Wow that is an interesting take dpeterson! It's gone the other way now, massively loud. I'll tweak it down a bit but it's sounding good.

Would you mind explaining why the drives are like they are? Why not one into the other? I've not seen that before.

What are you referring to? I can’t see any post from dpeterson that mentions drives?!?

What are you referring to? I can’t see any post from dpeterson that mentions drives?!?

I’m referring to the positioning of the 2 drive blocks on the grid. When I put drives before the Amp block I just put them in series. These are positioned in a different way & I wondered why?

Ok so the Matrix 1K puts out 150W @ 16 ohms so yes it would blow the Orange 2x12 rated at 120W.
Bit more to it than just that. The cabs are rated at that for RMS, their peak rating will be double that so can (in an ideal world) accept more than that. A 100w tube head will also put out a lot more than 120w but we don't usually think they will be an issue so there are a lot of factors in play. Most people won't get near that 120w level when they are on stage hence why a more powerful tube or SS amp is normally ok to run even if there is a power mismatch. Problems arise when you are nearing the limit of either the speaker or the amp or simply asking the speaker to do something it's physically can't do (excess bass and over excursion being a couple).

You can also daisy chain the Orange cabs together for an 8 ohm load and run the amp in bridged if you do need more volume on stage. SLA2 will give 560w at 8 ohm in bridged.

FYI - you don’t NEED dual drives to get enough gain. Just in case you didn’t realize…
Cheers, I’ve been using axe fx since 2013, so familiar with options, but usually mimicking a real pedalboard into amp setup. I’ve found putting the reverb and delays in parallel sounded better to me, so interested if drives options are better with them in parallel rather than series.

SLA2 specs:
Stereo Output Power, 4 ohms280 W RMS per channel
Stereo Output Power, 8 ohms200 W RMS per channel
No mention of 16 ohm, so this could reduce the wattage to less than 100 per channel. And 100 watts solid state is different than 100 watt tube.
What meters are clipping, input or output meters? As stated make sure you are at +4.
-40 on the amp outputs seem awfully low. My average setting is -16 to 0, depending on amp, and my meters on the screen showing a little red. Then I set my front volume on the AXE so I'm full orange. Most of the time, when using included presets, I don't have to change what's set.
Maybe something either in global or one of the blocks is turned up too high.

(As noted below, yes I wrongly credited dpeterson for the second preset upload. It was Zedhed!)

Personally, I never use two drives engaged at the same time but I noticed in your preset you had two engaged in one scene. I thought that by changing the drive the way I did gave a bit of separation between the two types you're using and it also gave more sustain. I ran out of time to muck around with it anymore though so it's not perfect ( although none of my own presets are either hehe).

Bit more to it than just that. The cabs are rated at that for RMS, their peak rating will be double that so can (in an ideal world) accept more than that. A 100w tube head will also put out a lot more than 120w but we don't usually think they will be an issue so there are a lot of factors in play. Most people won't get near that 120w level when they are on stage hence why a more powerful tube or SS amp is normally ok to run even if there is a power mismatch. Problems arise when you are nearing the limit of either the speaker or the amp or simply asking the speaker to do something it's physically can't do (excess bass and over excursion being a couple).

Good info. Thanks.

You can also daisy chain the Orange cabs together for an 8 ohm load and run the amp in bridged if you do need more volume on stage. SLA2 will give 560w at 8 ohm in bridged.

Good idea. So daisy chaining the two Orange cabs puts them in parallel then? Thus the 8 ohm load.

Last edited:
FYI - you don’t NEED dual drives to get enough gain. Just in case you didn’t realize…

Thanks, yes I do understand that. I am new to the Axe 3 & most of my presets atm are experimental messes! I had just read a thread on stacking drives & tried it out. I'm not really a heavy gain person. I'm looking for a 60's/ 70's Classic Rock sound. Think Who, Zep, Cream, Hendrix...

SLA2 specs:
Stereo Output Power, 4 ohms280 W RMS per channel
Stereo Output Power, 8 ohms200 W RMS per channel
No mention of 16 ohm, so this could reduce the wattage to less than 100 per channel. And 100 watts solid state is different than 100 watt tube.
What meters are clipping, input or output meters? As stated make sure you are at +4.
-40 on the amp outputs seem awfully low. My average setting is -16 to 0, depending on amp, and my meters on the screen showing a little red. Then I set my front volume on the AXE so I'm full orange. Most of the time, when using included presets, I don't have to change what's set.
Maybe something either in global or one of the blocks is turned up too high.

Correct. There is no mention of 16 ohms in their manual. I extrapolated the information. Seems a reasonable assumption though.

The meters that are clipping are those that show on the layout page when zoomed out. i.e. the layout that shows the most info. Top left meters.

Yes the +4db change has made a massive difference.

Personally, I never use two drives engaged at the same time but I noticed in your preset you had two engaged in one scene. I thought that by changing the drive the way I did gave a bit of separation between the two types you're using and it also gave more sustain. I ran out of time to muck around with it anymore though so it's not perfect ( although none of my own presets are either hehe).

Me neither! I was just messing & they got left like that. It's good to know that putting them in parallel has a different effect though.

Back
Top Bottom