Played The 1st Show With The III And

diddleybo

Inspired
My EV ZLX-12P last week.
The venue had a 4x12 cab so I put the III 4U rack on top of it and the EV on top of the III rack.
We were the direct support band for this headliner and we didn't even get the sound check and BAM, BAM, BAM and we were done!
So I started to tear it down and found out that the F.O.H. guy's plugged an XLR into the OUTPUT of the EV and sent it to the board! I thought that was... uh, refreshing.
They said I sounded great, so... I guess it worked.

Scary to have that much gear stacked on top of a narrow 4x12 cab. I'm glad it didn't topple, and that you had a good gig despite getting no sound check.

It makes sense that FOH got a good sound out of the ZLX's output — it's a direct copy of its input. :)

Scary to have that much gear stacked on top of a narrow 4x12 cab. I'm glad it didn't topple, and that you had a good gig despite getting no sound check.

It makes sense that FOH got a good sound out of the ZLX's output — it's a direct copy of its input. :)
I'm glad, too. Haha!

I don't think the F.O.H. guy even knew what it was, but, boy!
Makes you think, why didn't I ever think of it before?

I don't think the F.O.H. guy even knew what it was, but, boy!
Makes you think, why didn't I ever think of it before?
I like to send FOH a separate signal from a different Axe III output. That way, I can adjust my stage volume without affecting the house feed.

Ideally, yes. Of course. We have plenty of options. But, sometimes it's like driving a Ferrari in Midtown Manhattan. Haha!

Last edited:
Anyway, last night, I played the same set with the same headliner in Jersey.
This time, I sent OUTPUT 1 L & R to EV's INPUT 1 & 2 and sent OUTPUT 2 L & R to the board via 2 XLRs.
Wow! It sounded unbelievable.
A few members from one of the biggest rock bands came to me and said my sound (not my playing) was "Dope!"

This time, I sent OUTPUT 1 L & R to EV's INPUT 1 & 2 and sent OUTPUT 2 L & R to the board via 2 XLRs.
A few members from one of the biggest rock bands came to me and said my sound (not my playing) was "Dope!"

Did I understand this correctly - you sent a stereo signal (Axe Output 1 L+R) to a mono monitor's inputs 1 & 2 ???
Do you used stereo efx's in your presets ??

Did I understand this correctly - you sent a stereo signal (Axe Output 1 L+R) to a mono monitor's inputs 1 & 2 ???
Do you used stereo efx's in your presets ??
Correct! Yes and yes! Best sound I ever had. The F.O.H. guy said sounded great and wanted us back there, because it was fun for him.

My second one is Saturday, first with the fixed AXE III, fingers crossed.
I was playing an outdoor show with a Helix LT back in May. We played the first set with no problems. About 4 songs into the second set my sound was gone. I rebooted, checked the cables, nothing. Fortunately I had a little Amplifire Box that I was able to use for the remainder of the show. The next day I plugged it in and it worked fine. Havent had a problem with it since. I never did find out what went wrong. Could have been poor power. Now I am using the AXE3 and always keep the spare around just in case.

My second one is Saturday, first with the fixed AXE III, fingers crossed.
Good luck!
I was playing an outdoor show with a Helix LT back in May. We played the first set with no problems. About 4 songs into the second set my sound was gone. I rebooted, checked the cables, nothing. Fortunately I had a little Amplifire Box that I was able to use for the remainder of the show. The next day I plugged it in and it worked fine. Havent had a problem with it since. I never did find out what went wrong. Could have been poor power. Now I am using the AXE3 and always keep the spare around just in case.
The heat!

Could be. I ran sound at a 3-day Festival late June. There were large fans (genny powered - as were the stages) under the food tent, next to FOH [covered] on one stage. On day #2, I "stole" one of the fans and mounted it on the support poles in our "tent". I plugged it into the same distro box (from the genny) that was running our FOH console config, but on a seperate circuit. It was 100+ degrees out (on tarmac, not grass) so THI was around 110+, and we needed airflow across the gear!!
The fan - which ran all day on Day #1 - would run for about 10 mins, then cut out on that circuit. Then cut back in later. We tried other outlets.. same issue. Thermal shutdown???
We had also bought some Walmart desktop fans as backups.
One simply did not work.. the other ran for about 5 mins, then "let the smoke out" [literally] and we go that lovely "burning electrics" smell.
Power guys never did figure it out.. but given we were running some wireless gear and a $2k digital console off the same drop.. we were a little concerned.
Console never blinked..
<shrug>

I like to send FOH a separate signal from a different Axe III output. That way, I can adjust my stage volume without affecting the house feed.
Good advice! We have a show later this month and I am totally going to try this.

So are you not using an actually cab then on stage? Sorry I am just trying to understand the setup. I run the Axe3 through a power amp directly into a marshal 1960a Lead. But I am curious about setting up a second output to send to the house directly. I am trying to sort out in my mind what to do with the cab modeling since I disable it when playing through the cab. I would need it on though if I sent another signal to the house? Sorry if I am rambling....

So are you not using an actually cab then on stage? Sorry I am just trying to understand the setup. I run the Axe3 through a power amp directly into a marshal 1960a Lead. But I am curious about setting up a second output to send to the house directly. I am trying to sort out in my mind what to do with the cab modeling since I disable it when playing through the cab. I would need it on though if I sent another signal to the house? Sorry if I am rambling....
No. I use the EV ZLX-12P. I program my presets through HS-80s and they transfer really good to the EV.
I've paired the III with power amp, 4X12 cab, effects loop, cab sim. on or off... etc. But EV works the best, for me, anyway.
I just create a OUT 2 block and ask for 2 XLRs. The fastest, best sounding way for me, personally.

U can daisy chain Powered monitors with the EV's Line out
Stage volume can be adjusted, won't change the Line out.
:)

Back
Top Bottom