Played a July 4th gig with 2 new amps ( after hearing new presets)

1poorplayer

Power User
I've been insanely busy for the past few months , and a couple weeks ago , I downloaded the updated presets , - just prior to a seasonal gig. There are a lot of presets to go thru and audition ( which is a good thing , but time consuming ) I was pleasantly surprised to see my fav cab ( 103 ) was used seeming often , when I stumbled onto to great sounding amps.

For this gig , I decided to use my pair of LPs , which I have installed Bonamassa pickups in. I like to keep things as simple as possible for mixing purposes , and travel with 2 fairly identical guitars in case of broken strings or other unforeseen troubles , which can occur , and sometimes do. This is the guitar I used to audition all the presets. The 2 amps that jumped out at me , for the first time since owning my AX8 , which I got over a year and a half ago , were the Wrecker Express and the Plexi 100w High. I implemented some effects blocks from previous fav presets and VOILA. I did very little tweaking ( which is a new thing for me ). A little B M T , a little gain , and lowered the input trim to taste. I used the drives that were used in the original factory presets to add extra gain for leads , or for heavier songs , but all-in-all , a very easy made preset - from an original factory preset. I'm a guitar volume knob player , and these amps were dynamic and full of life.

I'm very impressed. Having this unit ; since it's release , has made me appreciate the improvements made , along the journey - getting to this current firmware. Great job FAS.
I gave up on amp modeling a decade ago , and have spent countless hours working with cabs , speakers changes , mic mixes and angles , and more amps than I care to admit , only to find myself completely satisfied with this little floor pedal known as the AX8 - in their place.

A partial testement to the quality of this unit , is how it has sparked my interest in being very picky about the guitar I plug into it. Like a good tube amp , it reacts to even the most subtle changes between guitars , even when they are the same make and model , purely based upon wood density and type , string gauge and brand , pickup resistance and magnet type , etc. It can all be heard thru this box. Did I say - "Thank you FAS ?"
... if not , THANK YOU.

Like a good tube amp , it reacts to even the most subtle changes between guitars , even when they are the same make and model , purely based upon wood density and type , string gauge and brand , pickup resistance and magnet type , etc.

So true. Some presets sound phenomenal with some guitars but muddy or thin with others. When I make or tweak a preset, I also try to dial in a sound that fits all guitars (even though different pickups, etc.) that will be used for a gig.

It took me a few years to get to your happy place. Five years plus of Axe-Fx ownership (and a recent AX8 purchase, now my main rig) and hours of tweaking for the first three or so. No regrets as the results were stunning!

But either I finally got a grip or the unit got even better and now it's just dial up the amp, turn a knob or two, and play happily. I have a go-to IR that seems to work great for me on everything (and every amp though I only use a couple now). Best money I've ever spent by far! AX8 is brilliant for live work (haven't recorded with it yet but would not hesitate to do so).

Back
Top Bottom