Play or record direct? Read on...

guittarzzan

Inspired
I've spent the last week gathering, editing, creating and organizing and categorizing a ton of presets so I can have things very organized when recording. I absolutely LOVE the Axefx, but have always hated having to wade through tons of heavily effected presets to find a few raw gems. It seemed like most of the factory patches had heavy verb, delay, chorus etc on most of the stuff and although I'm sure a lot of people love that, it didn't suit my needs at all. Thanks to the editor, it's a lot easier to get organized than it used to be.
Ok, here's the scoop. ALL of the ones I just uploaded are basically just amp, cab and a small amount of small room reverb. Some have a drive in front or an added eq, but the end result is just a raw amp sound/tone.
These are ALL intended for going direct into a DAW and that's how they were written. The digital output levels are all between -6 and -18db so there's plenty of headroom for processing in DAW if you want. I have no idea how these will translate into a p.a. system so don't sue me. :D
With them being written for recording, most of them have the bass tamed a bit to leave room for mr bass guitar. If you want your guitar to fill up the bass frequencies too, you'll need to tweak a bit.
Signal path and equipment used: PRS24 with HFS pu's into an MW1 with impedence up a bit, into Axefx and digital out to Pro Tools. My guitar's impedence was a little hot so some of these may sound too "soft" to you etc. A little tweak on the presence, dampening, bright cap etc should get you there if you don't likey.
DISCLAIMER: Many of these presets were taken from the Axechange and Axefx and tweaked to my liking for recording. I have renamed everything so all my presets can be organized and easily located by amp type, tone etc. I'm not trying to take credit for building all of these from the ground up. I just did a lot of editing to other people's creations to get it sounding good through my system.
NOTES: :mrgreen: The "HG" is for high gain so you can look at it and not have to load it up to see what you're gonna get.
:mrgreen: The "s" after the preset number is for stereo. It's just so I can tell which ones are set up for stereo recording.
:mrgreen: The ones that end with an "X" are ones I created from the ground up. The rest were "stolen" and edited to fit my needs.
:mrgreen: All, or almost all of these have been checked in mono to make sure that the sound doesn't completely fall apart from phase issues. I may have missed one or two, but I think I got most of 'em checked.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: One thing I learned that you may or may not have already discovered: The Enhancer DOES make some things sound cool, but it will likely destroy your guitar tracks when in mono. I didn't find one, single, high gain, stereo preset in the Axefx or Axechange that had the Enhancer being used and didn't go to crap in mono. FYI

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: This was a ton of work and it was for my own use. I hope some of you dig some of them. For people new to the Axefx, I think having a bunch of raw presets to start from will really help speed up the process of falling in love with this thing. It is an awesome tool.
Lastly, I'll be posting my banks for Cleans, Cleans with effects, Crunch, Other and Soundfx as I get though them. I hope it helps some of you get dialed in on your tones. PLEASE give me some feedback as I'd love to hear what you think.
Did I really just babble all of that?

cheers,
Steve

PS. :arrow: All of these were created/edited using FW9.0 so if you're still using older FW, you may not like them.

Re: Like high gain amps? Play or record direct? Read on...

Hey man I look forward to checking these out!

I just checked on Axechange and only one patch is showing, did I miss something?

One thing you could do is export from the editor as a bank file and attach it to your post, that way it keeps everything together. Just a thought :)

Thanks again.

Spence

Steve,

I can definitely say that I gave your banks a workout this evening. Really digging the Crunch bank - I got stuck there nearly 2 hrs! :shock:

I didn't have a chance to work the high gain tones too long, but off a quick run-through the Mesa sounds are really happening. A few of the others here were a bit mushy to me, but I'll try again tomorrow when I can crank the Atomic.

I'll report back tomorrow after I really run through the high gain patches, but so far I'm really happy with the results. I know its a lot of work you put in and it's appreciated. Can't wait for your next batch!

-Chris

odsska said:
Steve,

I can definitely say that I gave your banks a workout this evening. Really digging the Crunch bank - I got stuck there nearly 2 hrs! :shock:

I didn't have a chance to work the high gain tones too long, but off a quick run-through the Mesa sounds are really happening. A few of the others here were a bit mushy to me, but I'll try again tomorrow when I can crank the Atomic.

I'll report back tomorrow after I really run through the high gain patches, but so far I'm really happy with the results. I know its a lot of work you put in and it's appreciated. Can't wait for your next batch!

-Chris

Thanks. A lot of the Crunch presets are really targeted at classic rock-ish tones like The Beatles, Tom Petty and maybe a few AC/DC-ish ones. A lot of them can be tweaked a bit with a drive etc to get into the 80's rock tones etc, but I put all the stuff with more gain in the high gain bank. If you like high gain stuff, I think the HG bank will be a great starting point for building your own collection. There are a lot of awesome tones in there and it took me forever to get through them all because I wanted to keep playing.
Remember, they were edited going direct so they ALL may sound like crap through amp/cab.
Enjoy...

Great job, man! Very valuable for both newcomers and veterans.
It's kinda like Timmy's Raw Banks, but targeted at the "going direct / FR" crowd.
I'll link to these banks on the wiki's How-To page.
I also saw noticed patches on Axe-Exchange, is that correct?

Is there a way to load the banks in the Axe Editor only? I'd love to check out your stuff but I don't want to load the entire banks in my Axe.

Ok, I just finished the cleans bank.
Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?quje33kvtyt

I forgot to upload this bank to the axexchange, but will after work.
I haven't yet mastered the Editor, but I think you can just load a bank of presets from the Axexchange without having to actually load all of these into your Axefx. The editor is way cool, but I'm still learning myself.
NOTE: The "Cleans" are a combination of clean cleans and cleans with some grit. Some of them are bordering on crunch, but depending on technique, could easily be used in a clean tone context.
...and again...these are for going DIRECT.

Enjoy!!

steve

Here are my thoughts after playing with your high gain bank last night:

Favorites:
[*] Diezel 1
[*] Recto 1 HG 5
[*] Ubershall HG 1
[*] The Ecstacy 2's

I took each of these and backed off the gain a pinch (or put the drive on the drive block to 0 if they had one feeding the amp), and tweaked just a few of the cab choices to better suit my needs. I'll have to continue to put them through the paces, but having this was great as a jumping off point for my high gain sounds. Combined with the Recto patch I already had going I think I'm great shape in that area now.

As for the crunch bank, I ended up with these:
[*] AC30TB Crunch 1
[*] Bassman Crunch 1
[*] Dumble 3 Crunch 1
[*] Ecstacy 2 Crunch 1
[*] JCM 800s
[*] Plexi 2 Crunch 1
[*] Trainwreck Crunch 2

Thanks again man! As a side note, nearly all of these sound great through the Atomic (as they should if they were built for direct recording)

Steve,

Thanks for your work on these! I just got my Ultra in early February and am extremely overwhelmed with where to start. Thanks for the hard work. This newb appreciates guys like you!

Wes

Thanks so much! I'm overwhelmed by the axe and this along with the presets is a great place to start! Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor!!

Back
Top Bottom