Pitch Shifting/Virtual Capo for Worship Gig

JD_

Inspired
As I've said before, I'm really digging the improved pitch block. I'm playing with a worship band this week and since the songs are being sung by a woman, we're shifting keys up quite a bit from the recordings. One of the songs is 2 1/2 steps up from the recording, so to keep the chords simple, I'm just using the virtual capo with a shift of +5. I've set the block's source to Input1, and have it first in my patch (after the Input), but practicing at home, I hear just a tiny bit of warble at times. Anyone else shifting up that much for live performance? How did it sound live? Thanks in advance.

Adjust the tracking. I found that turning it down can improve it some instances. Also, put the pitch block first in your chain. You can try moving it around, but first seems to work best for that kind of application.

Reactions: JD_
A bit of chorus, univibe, or rotary can help quite a bit. And delay doesn't hurt either. Personally, I'd use a capo for 2 1/2 steps - particularly if the guitar is clean and out front with little effects.

I play in a worship band as well. I keep my guitars turned 1/2 to a whole step below standard tuning. Even after the new pitch block, I still use a real capo.

Lol, oh how the world has changed.

The day is near where everybody will be saying.....what...use a real Amp?

Last edited:
Real capo for pitching up. Pitching down sounds ok but up just sounds weird to my ear in general with a pitch shifter of any brand.

Real capo for pitching up. Pitching down sounds ok but up just sounds weird to my ear in general with a pitch shifter of any brand.

With the AC30 and Malmsteen strat I'm using for the gig, it's a bit top endy anyway, so pitching up 2 1/2 steps with the pitch shifter seems a little shrill with some of the chords. However, pitching up 1.5 steps with my Les Paul and JCM800 preset is super fun.

Just circling back after the rehearsal last night. I had planned to use the physical capo, but I had arrived early, and tried the virtual capo through FOH and it sounded great. The worship leader was fine with it, and was really complimentary of the tones overall (AC30 model, lots of delays/verbs). I dropped it a few half steps at a time until I got to like -9 and it still sounded good - that's a great block.

Anyone know how the virtual capo works? I was looking for the details on the settings in the manual, but didn't find anything.

Back
Top Bottom