Pitch shifting for the intro of Bringin' On A Heartbreak

Chiguete

Experienced
So I was watching the Tuesday Tone Tip of Leon @2112 in G66 and he talked about the Diatonic Pitch Shifting and this was just in time because I need to figure out how to do it for the intro of Bringin' On A Heartbreak, can anyone help me out telling me what is the key and harmony that I should use for that? Thanks.

So I was watching the Tuesday Tone Tip of Leon @2112 in G66 and he talked about the Diatonic Pitch Shifting and this was just in time because I need to figure out how to do it for the intro of Bringin' On A Heartbreak, can anyone help me out telling me what is the key and harmony that I should use for that? Thanks.
I think it is an A minor

I do remember reading that the guitars were deliberately recorded slightly out of tune with each to give it a unique effect

Dual Diatonic - scale Ionian Maj - Key of G - Harmony 1 = 3 / Harmony 2 = 1 - Mix 75%
Amp - try the Friedman Small box - Drive - 3 / master 4
This will get you in the ball park. Good luck - love Def Leppard!!

A diatonic scale won't really cover that. The harmony part is using a combination of 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and one 6th.

Legend says that at the beginning of the song there is a studio chatter voice saying "Out of tune ones eh? Pete's ones..." but I haven't been able to hear that.

However, here it says that when they discovered that they were out of tune, they were processed through an harmoinizer to correct them:

http://www.deflepparduk.com/2017newsjan97.html

"A considerable chunk of the album itself, they soon discovered, was also out of tune. Unlike High 'n' Dry, where Sav's bass was the last instrument to be recorded, it was the first to be cut on Pyromania. That posed a unique problem. Wherever Sav's playing wavered in pitch, the guitars laid on top had to be retuned to match him. If Sav went sharp, every one of the guitars on top went with him. Not surprisingly, when it was time for Leppard to put down the backing vocals, they discovered to their horror, that the guitars were a little out of tune. It was too late to redo them all, so they were put through a harmoniser (an electronic device that approximates a choral effect) to cover the bum notes"

So would custom scale work then?

I don't think so, because the same notes are harmonized with different intervals at different parts. That requires two guitars. Or use scenes with different intervals to switch during the solo, but that could be a nightmare

2021_09_30_11_19_32_Def_Leppard_Bringin_on_the_Heartbreak_Guitar_Tab_in_A_Minor_Download_Prin.png

Last edited:
I assume you want to do this so you can play it live. It's not that hard to play both parts together. You most likely won't be able to do the bends, but you can do slides instead. I just yesterday happened to be barring the 2nd & 3rd strings on the 5th fret while on S8 of the Rackmount Preamps X2 preset and thought, hmm, that sounds just like the first notes of BOTH, so I played around with it, trying to cover both parts, and it seemed do-able.

My band does Too Late For Love, Let It Go, and You Got Me Runnin. You must have some great vocals to pull off Heartbreak.

3 scenes, 3 pitch block channels, at least 1 custom global scale, 1 diatonic (3rds), and 1 diatonic (5ths). And some practice switching at the right time while playing.

Back
Top Bottom