Pitch shifting delay with tape delay possible?

shemihazazel

Fractal Fanatic
I've seen VST tape delay plugins that seem to manipulate motor speed or other parameters to make the delay sound pitch shift incrementally up or down.

Is it possible to achieve this in the Axe with modifiers or something?

or try the crystals pitch block. set pitch to +12 or -12, add some delay time and add some feedback. each repeat will go progressively up or down an octave. no modifiers needed.

you can do it with the tape delay, but it's a different effect. attach a square wave modifier to the motor speed, so it goes from 1 to +2 or 1 to 0.5. this will give you repeats up and down the octave, but they won't get progressively higher or lower. it's a different sound. make sure you set the attack and delay time for the modifier to zero (i think they default at 10ms - it makes the motor speed change instantaneously, so you don't get any ramping between pitches)

you can do it with the tape delay, but it's a different effect. attach a square wave modifier to the motor speed, so it goes from 1 to +2 or 1 to 0.5. this will give you repeats up and down the octave, but they won't get progressively higher or lower. it's a different sound. make sure you set the attack and delay time for the modifier to zero (i think they default at 10ms - it makes the motor speed change instantaneously, so you don't get any ramping between pitches)

I'm looking for more of a semitone increment instead of octaves.

Post an example if you're looking to recreate something specific.

Some plugins might also emulate a sliding playback head. This is what modifying delay time does on the Axe, but the modifier damping system and additional damping by the delay block limit what you can do. If there was a way to increase/decrease time at a constant rate you could use attack/release times to get a specific interval up/down when decreasing/increasing time. This would differ from motor speed adjustment because you'd only affect the pitch of the audio segment you swept across as it's fed back to the input.

apologies shem - you'll actually be better off with the dual shift, rather than the crystals

Last edited:
@2112 has a great video where he does very cool pitch shifts with a delay. I think it was Tape Delay. I'm sure he'll post a link.

Back
Top Bottom