Pitch Shifter on Ax8

Woland

Inspired
Hi,
Coming from the AxeFx II to the Ax8, I noticed that the pitch shifter is quite bad.
Tracking is buggy and there are a lot of artifacts...
It's just me?

No this has been talked about a lot here.

From what I've gathered, it works best in very low CPU presets.
I think it's the same pitch shifter, but just requires more juice than the AX8 can provide it to work right.

My experience was different, as I only ever used the AX8. I dialed in some Pitch effects yesterday that were blowing my mind and inspiring. (Guitar harmony stuff). I can only imagine what the XL+ must be like now based on these comments!

I have no issues using Fixed Harmony, Intelligent Harmony etc.

CPU is a relevant factor, especially when using PITCH with a pedal.

As the attached preset demonstrates, a smooth, fast Whammy is perfectly possible.

Attachments

• AX8 WHAMMY.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 130
I'm not sure if this still applies, but if you have AXE edit open OR if you are on an Edit page on the AX8 there will be some problems. Disconnect the editor, and select the main footswitch page and see if it's working properly.

In my experience Pitch Shifter and tracking Ring Mod has poor tracking compared to AXE II I had before. Especially Ring Mod - i used to love this effect for synth type riffs.

In my experience Pitch Shifter and tracking Ring Mod has poor tracking compared to AXE II I had before. Especially Ring Mod - i used to love this effect for synth type riffs.

I agree... I'm finding the same pitch blocks from the AXE FX are nowhere near as good on the AX8.

patch was quite simple, it didn't even had a amp+cab block... just some filters and an intelligent (?) pitch shift.
Originally it had also a synthesizer block, one octave lower, but I had to remove it: not because I was running off of CPU, but because it was completely out of tune, but that's another story

It would be great if we would have the option to select between a better, lower consuming CPU Pitch Block, and a more advanced one, with formant pitch shifting, which would inevitably consume more processing power, but it could be used for simple patch.

yeah i'm having the same issue, "intelligent harmony" bends the notes to get the in tune, i removed some pedals and its seem to work better, i guess we all aggree with the pitch shifting issue as well, i liked "Woland" suggestions

I've been trying to get a block to tune down a 1/2 step. Cannot get good results yet, but still trying.

I use the pitch shifter for two tunes, and have it first in chain and set for a whole step down. Works great and no issues - hard to tell in the mix live, and sure is better than another guitar tuned down for just two songs.

I use it all the time ....I set the pitch track to mono....before the amp....for half step downs...and I also put it parallel between the amp and cab....adjust to taste..........like so..hope this helps

Attachments

• ax8.jpg
    ax8.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
where does it track the best? start of chain? after amp? local/global pitch?

Check the wiki. You can set it as desired.

Global (tracking at input grid) is default, but changing it to Local (tracking at input Pitch block) increases its priority.
Local tracking is not the best choice when the input signal is garbled.

POLY for chords, MONO for single notes.

Try ECONOMY mode.

Hey just wanted to come back to say I tried the pitch block again after a few months, and now find that (Although it's not as transparent as the morpheus drop tune, or POG), that a step or even a step and a half down works fine... def better than I remember. I can totally see this being fine for playing live.
It's funny, because I'm sure that if Cliff improved the pitch block he would have told us... so maybe......

>...

I was too harsh the first time.

For the down-tuning stuff, @Moke has a great Eruption preset including a halfstep downtune that works really well. He uses a trick, where the initial attack is not pitch shifted but only the sustaining note.

http://www.custompresets.com/store/...ruption/You_Really_Got_Me'_'Rev_2'_(AX8).html

I recorded a soundclip using it (I cannot play anything remotely like Eruption). First, the riff from You really got me and then a fast (in my book) single note line, changing the pitch back and forth while playing.
I cannot share the specifics of the pitch block, it is Mokes to share, if he wants to, but I can say that it is inspired by this old thread by @simeon http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-to-reduce-latency-on-down-shifted-patches.57165/

Back
Top Bottom