Pitch Shifter / Harmonizer (compared to Harmony Man)

sprint

Axe-Master
Hi:

I'm not an AxeFx owner yet but I will likely dump my current modellers and get an Ultra when the exchange rates are more cooperative. One thing I'd like to get your opinions on is the qualility of the pitch shifter / harmonizer effects in the Ultra compared to say the Digitech JamMan or others (Evantide).

I've owned a few mid level modellers (Line6 Pod, Boss GT, Digitech GNX, Zoom) and have found that although some of the pitch shifting effects track well, the "shifted" or "harmonized" tone generated sounds so lame that it makes it unusable. I'd really like to have shift/harmony/octave effect where the "shifted" tone really sounds like my guitar would sound if "shifted" or harmonizing over itself with or without distortion.

So what's your opinion of the Ultra's generated tone for shift / harmony / octave? Does the shifted have the same character as the original? Does it work well with or without distortion? If it's as good as the JamMan, I'd be happy

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMl0KrCp ... L&index=19 ).

sprint said:
Hi:

I'm not an AxeFx owner yet but I will likely dump my current modellers and get an Ultra when the exchange rates are more cooperative. One thing I'd like to get your opinions on is the qualility of the pitch shifter / harmonizer effects in the Ultra compared to say the Digitech JamMan or others (Evantide).

I've owned a few mid level modellers (Line6 Pod, Boss GT, Digitech GNX, Zoom) and have found that although some of the pitch shifting effects track well, the "shifted" or "harmonized" tone generated sounds so lame that it makes it unusable. I'd really like to have shift/harmony/octave effect where the "shifted" tone really sounds like my guitar would sound if "shifted" or harmonizing over itself with or without distortion.

So what's your opinion of the Ultra's generated tone for shift / harmony / octave? Does the shifted have the same character as the original? Does it work well with or without distortion? If it's as good as the JamMan, I'd be happy

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMl0KrCp ... L&index=19 ).

Well, Cliff stated the the pitch effects are getting a nice upgrade in the next firmware. That being said, comparing it to my old Eventide Eclipse. The tracking is exceptional and because you can place it any where in the signal chain and get its pitch from the input or from the block input. It sounds great regardless of the distortion levels. The Eventide was a bit smoother sounding IMO, but the Axe-fx sounds good (as good as that harmony man clip). Cliff stated the next firmware will address the smoothness of the pitch-shift.

Back
Top Bottom