Pitch Shift Destroys Tone

APE

Inspired
I'm running the pitch shifter in Axe-FX II and the output through analog outputs into my focusrite sounds horrendous. Why? If I disable pitch shift, the tone sounds alright again. But I use pitch shift so that I can transpose things more easily. For example, if the recording is 20c flat, I use pitch shift to bring my guitar to the recorded pitch. I know that there is other software for this, but this is integrated into how I like doing transcribing.

How can I make it sound less bad?

upload_2018-2-8_23-26-31.png

I know this isn't relevant to your question, but any particular reason you dont want to tune 20c flat (or whatever)?

I know this isn't relevant to your question, but any particular reason you dont want to tune 20c flat (or whatever)?

Probably easier to have a preset pitch shifted to fit a single song then to constantly retune the guitar to fit that song.

On the AX8 there's a loss in low and top end below 100% mix (at 0c). Sounds phasey. The closer to 50% the worse. I guess it cannot be avoided because there must be a latency. Or maybe Cliff could delay the original signal a bit as well. Or at least give that option in the pitch block.

Last edited:
As an aside, It’s better to fix the recording pitch using Transcribe or similar and save the MP3 at the correct pitch as then the pitch correction only gets done once and the pitch correcting doesn’t need to be in real time.

As an aside, It’s better to fix the recording pitch using Transcribe or similar and save the MP3 at the correct pitch as then the pitch correction only gets done once and the pitch correcting doesn’t need to be in real time.

Yeah, that's what I would do too.

Back
Top Bottom