Wish Pitch parameter in the Reverb Block

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
Disclaimer: Not an FX8 user yet. Signed up March 24 so here's hoping the invite hits soon. Memorized both manuals, "My body is ready," etc. My M13 needs to be put to death.

I'm trying to determine the most efficient method of producing a parallel shimmer with the FX8. Of course there is the Pitch Block's Crystals and the Multidelay Block's Plex Shift. But neither of those appear to be a true shimmer reverb, which is more like a reverb that's been pitch-shifted one or two (or both) octaves up (although the Plex Shift with high diffusion gets close). I found this on the forum but haven't seen the configuration to confirm that it's actually a parallel shimmer that would also allow for additional parallel (non-shimmered) effects: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fx8-discussion/100355-shimmer-reverb-possible.html

Some users have requested a shimmer reverb type. I think my suggestion here provides more utility. Add a "pitch" parameter to the Reverb Block, to allow for shifting the reverberations up or down by up to two octaves. It could also allow for some thick pad stuff by shifting the reverb pitch to a perfect fifth.

This is in the same vein as Drive in the Delay Block, and Mod Depth/Rate in the Reverb Block. Those effect combinations could also be achieved in more complex Axe FX configurations (Parallel Delay into a Drive Block, or Parallel Reverb into a Chorus Block), but they are so common that it apparently made sense to include parameters in the Delay and Reverb blocks. I humbly propose that pitch-shifted reverb would be greatly appreciated as well.

Any FX8 users who'd like to post a clip of Multidelay Plex Shift sounding like a lush, post-rock, reverby shimmer alongside some non-shimmered ambient delay and verb - please do so. I'll eat my hat, or something. Cheers!

i wonder if using the Diffusion parameter in the delay block would do it. it definitely turns delays into more of a Reverb thing.

Forgot to mention: a lot of shimmers have some modulation going on to give them movement and feel. The Multidelay and Reverb Blocks both have mod/LFO so that's promising.

Back
Top Bottom