Pitch/Harmony FX

steve_k

Inspired
Been trying to make a simple pitch/harmony patch but not sure I am trusting my ears. I am wanting to use this in a couple of my Metallica presets for solo's in Blackened and One and not exactly sure how to go about it. I can RTFM, but think it can be better. Any advise on setting these up?

Thanks,
Steve

My two cents: Put your pitch shifter after the amp, before the cabinet. Putting it before the amp means you're running the harmonized note into distortion, which has a totally different sound from harmonizing a distorted signal. Imagine the difference between playing a power chord into an amp, and recording it as two separate notes. You'll get much more clarity with the pitch shifter after the amp (or splitting it to run stereo). If you are running it after the amp, put it before the cabinet. The cabinet model has a resonance peak (I think), and the pitch shift will move that as well if it comes after the cab, which can create a slightly less "realistic" sound.

More importantly, what about it do you find lacking (or too excessive)? That's the best way to begin thinking about what you need to do to improve it. And if the answer is nothing, but you don't trust your ears, then you need to let other people hear what it is you've done in order to identify any potential improvements. When it comes to tone, demonstration is far more effective than description.

Also: excellent info on the wiki

To match the originals note for note you'd have to switch between different harmony types. Scene select or External modifiers are a couple options for doing that.

Here's a chart showing one way to minimize the switching needed. In "One" the switching can happen before/after the text as far as the dashes extend, but it's probably easiest to practice switching on beat 1 where the text is.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1719/blackenedoneharmonies.png

Yes, this is something like what I was looking for to help me validate the right harmony/pitch. Thanks for that.....

To match the originals note for note you'd have to switch between different harmony types. Scene select or External modifiers are a couple options for doing that.

Here's a chart showing one way to minimize the switching needed. In "One" the switching can happen before/after the text as far as the dashes extend, but it's probably easiest to practice switching on beat 1 where the text is.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1719/blackenedoneharmonies.png

Thanks for that pointer. Certainly is tons of difference in clarity, especially on the pitched note.

Steve

My two cents: Put your pitch shifter after the amp, before the cabinet. Putting it before the amp means you're running the harmonized note into distortion, which has a totally different sound from harmonizing a distorted signal. Imagine the difference between playing a power chord into an amp, and recording it as two separate notes. You'll get much more clarity with the pitch shifter after the amp (or splitting it to run stereo). If you are running it after the amp, put it before the cabinet. The cabinet model has a resonance peak (I think), and the pitch shift will move that as well if it comes after the cab, which can create a slightly less "realistic" sound.

More importantly, what about it do you find lacking (or too excessive)? That's the best way to begin thinking about what you need to do to improve it. And if the answer is nothing, but you don't trust your ears, then you need to let other people hear what it is you've done in order to identify any potential improvements. When it comes to tone, demonstration is far more effective than description.

Also: excellent info on the wiki

Back
Top Bottom