Pitch detection

Bakerman

Axe-Master
I guess this is a bug unless pitch detection isn't meant to reach as high anymore. With 6.06, something odd happens when using pitch to control anything and playing a high B or D note (19th or 22nd fret of high E): the notes get interpreted as lower pitches that tend to jump all over the place. For example, using a synth block tracking pitch and bending very slowly from 18th fret A#, the pitch drops to a lower B, then E, B, G, E, C#, B (undertone series, interestingly enough--notes that would have the true pitch as an overtone). Around there it jumps back to normal, which will be partway between B and C.

Bakerman said:
I guess this is a bug unless pitch detection isn't meant to reach as high anymore. With 6.06, something odd happens when using pitch to control anything and playing a high B or D note (19th or 22nd fret of high E): the notes get interpreted as lower pitches that tend to jump all over the place. For example, using a synth block tracking pitch and bending very slowly from 18th fret A#, the pitch drops to a lower B, then E, B, G, E, C#, B (undertone series, interestingly enough--notes that would have the true pitch as an overtone). Around there it jumps back to normal, which will be partway between B and C.

Is it only the synth? The pitch tracking on the synth was modified.

It's also evident in pitch tracking of other blocks (pitch, ring mod) or when using pitch as a modifier. Viewing a modifier curve with pitch as source, the value jumps down/all over when you reach the B or D note. You won't hear the pitch itself jump down like with the synth block, but you might hear a parameter changing or an unstable harmony note.

Bakerman said:
It's also evident in pitch tracking of other blocks (pitch, ring mod) or when using pitch as a modifier. Viewing a modifier curve with pitch as source, the value jumps down/all over when you reach the B or D note. You won't hear the pitch itself jump down like with the synth block, but you might hear a parameter changing or an unstable harmony note.

didn't try the ring mod, just the pitch block intelligent harmonizer. it track accurately to the 24th fret. I can try again.

Try a 3rd up harmony in A Ionian. It's really clear if you do a slight, slow vibrato on the 19th fret--it gets interpreted as a B or E depending exactly where you are, producing a minor 3rd for B and a major 3rd for E (so you hear the harmony note jumping between D and D#). With other settings it might not be evident, since B and E could require the same interval shift.

The tuner also exhibits the same confusion for those 2 notes.

Confirmed in a different way -- the synth doesn't pick up my high 24th fret E. It gets interpreted as a low E.

schnarf said:
Confirmed in a different way -- the synth doesn't pick up my high 24th fret E. It gets interpreted as a low E.

It detects an in-tune E fine for me, but bending about 25 cents and beyond it's the same deal: drops an octave, another 5th, 4th etc. In previous firmwares pitch detection only worked up to around D or D#, which Cliff said was by design, and the high E would drop an octave. So this is sort of an improvement as far as the E note... but not of great use with the B & D tracking issues.

I noticed a similar thing the other day, and just ignored it for the time being hoping it wasn't my Axe having something wrong with it!

I first heard it running the synth block. Then I heard it when I attached a pitch modifier to a drive block's parameter (mix I think it was?). Basically it was all good up until certain higher notes, and then it went mental. Seemed odd, coz notes directly around the affected ones would play no problem, but just those certain notes would without fail go nuts. Also seemed odd coz I hadn't noticed any tracking problems with the harmonisers or anything, although I've not played around with them that extensively either.

The problem was actually worse prior to 6.06. It would do it on high F#, Ab, and sometimes even D (10th fret).

I've now implemented an adaptive slicer that resolves the issue.

Going slightly off-topic here: Can someone explain to me, what the fundamental problem associated with detecting the pitch of monophonic and polyphonic sounds is? What's preventing it from working perfectly? Has this to do with the distinction between a notes fundamental and the higher order harmonics?

www.Fo.com said:
Going slightly off-topic here: Can someone explain to me, what the fundamental problem associated with detecting the pitch of monophonic and polyphonic sounds is? What's preventing it from working perfectly? Has this to do with the distinction between a notes fundamental and the higher order harmonics?

Please start a topic in the lounge for this. This forum is for bugs.

Back
Top Bottom