Pitch detection sluggish (3.01)

Bakerman

Axe-Master
Intelligent harmony pitch modes don't seem to switch intervals very quickly. With glide time at minimum there's an out-of-tune quality when trilling between 2 notes requiring different shift amounts.

Dry signal left, C major +3rd harmony right.

(26.2% CPU)

Detector Source: Input 1
Tracking: 4.00
Pitch Quantize: Smooth
Glide time: 1.0 ms

With the pitch follower controller, an ascending 5th or descending 4th usually gets briefly interpreted as a lower octave of the first note, similar to "fooling" the detector by playing an actual power chord. 0:22 onward in the clip might be a symptom of this, where harmony sounds F# over D note before moving to correct F natural. Trilling fast enough makes the detector think it's a G note the entire time, keeping shift at a major 3rd.

I don't think the Axe-FX II has as much of a problem in these areas.

Here's the Axe-FX II:

0:22 onward has a 15ms pre-pitch delay which reduces artifacts (wrong harmony notes) by better aligning the audio with the detector data. Here's a clip of the same trick on the Axe-FX III. It probably sounds better than the first one, but a delay can't actually dial out the slow detector movement.

Last edited:
I noticed a similar issue. I was trying to create a patch for reeling in the years when I ran into this. I didn't check it against the Axe II but interesting that you are seeing something similar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom