Pitch Block...

I find the pitch shift block on the AX8 works better when you use it to tune up a half step rather than down i.e. tune the guitar to Eb and shift up to E. I'm assuming this is because algorithmically it is a simpler and cleaner operation to go to a smaller (i.e. higher pitch) waveform than to expand to a larger (i.e. lower pitch) waveform -- somewhat analogous to shrinking vs. enlarging an image. I have a Drop on my board and find the AX8 performs better in terms of both latency and quality when going from Eb to E vs. E to Eb with the Drop. I know I'm using one of the whammy modes and just played around with the params until I got the latency, quality, and CPU hit at a decent compromise. Still not the same as a second guitar but it's more than adequate for a few songs live in front of a typical audience.

70% of the songs we play are A440... I like the drop because it's not as often...

Tune your guitar down half a step?

If you gig regularly or once a year then you can understand why tuning mid set would not be feasible. We fly by the seat of our pants because we've been doing it for so long ( Gridley Paige is the band ) and our singer reads the crowd to kind of hit the mark. We haven't done set lists in years, we have to be prepared for whatever he comes up to us and says to play next. He usually tells me mid solo, because he's like that....lol... Song into song into song... Not much time to switch... This is getting away from my original topic though... I just wanted to know if a firmware update was in the works to fix this little but annoying issue is all...

Dude, what are you even talking about? Where in the world did you see that I wrote, or even implied, that Cliff was lying?

The AxeFX has WAY WAY WAY more CPU power than the KPA. Nobody disputes that. He's right. He's always been right about that. Yet the KPA pitch FX are still better.

You do the math.
Possibly in your post I quoted? As in you state "The limitation is NOT processing power." Cliff said it is, according to your own post. So I am confused...
So I guess I could have said are you saying Cliff is wrong? edited for civility.

Last edited:
Alrighty then...

@Whookam, I'm not aware that FAS has ever explicitly stated they are planning on releasing better pitch algos. Perhaps Cliff has, but I haven't seen any posts to that end.

This subject comes up an awful lot. I never , ever used one of these. But I am an old timer and really mostly amps, a few pedals and that's it.

But I will say, I certainly have been intrigued with the posts about this because if there was actually something that would work like a capo I think that would be very cool and I would use it. But from everything I read from , well mostly this forum for the past 9+ years says it is not available. I am not talking just drop tuning. I mean actually like a capo.

Is this ever going to be addressed in an update or will I continue to have to carry a Digi drop on my short board? The latency makes it unusable in most situations... Yes I've tried the work around, nothing works as well for me as the digi drop... I'm only dropping a half step...

+1. The delay is unbearable, with either MIDI exp pedals or analog exp pedals.

Maybe the ‘reason’ is Cliff just doesn’t want to do it, and everyone is free to take it or leave it, but the more people complain the less likely it’s ever going to happen is.

Well you can complain that "we need a 'Wishes and Bugs' forum" so the "AX8 Wishes and Bugs" forum is gonna be shut down because you don't like complains am I right?

The new Axe III firmware has addressed many of the issues of the pitch shifter. Many have remarked the need for the "Drop" is gone. However that's for the Axe III. Be patient, AX8 usually gets updates AFTER the Axe III, if it's possible.
New AX8 firmware may be along "soon."

Until then...if the "Drop" works, just use it...or bring an extra guitar. Personally, I ALWAYS bring at least 1 extra guitar. I'd MUCH rather switch guitars for a song or 2 in Eb. If it's a significant tuning change, C# for example, I have handled it with a Variax guitar from Line 6. Easy enough for a tune or 2 at a live show in as club.

None of the "artificial" options seem to be as good as an alt tuned guitar. Any pro act just switches guitars, THE END.

The new Axe III firmware has addressed many of the issues of the pitch shifter. Many have remarked the need for the "Drop" is gone. However that's for the Axe III. Be patient, AX8 usually gets updates AFTER the Axe III, if it's possible.
New AX8 firmware may be along "soon."

Until then...if the "Drop" works, just use it...or bring an extra guitar. Personally, I ALWAYS bring at least 1 extra guitar. I'd MUCH rather switch guitars for a song or 2 in Eb. If it's a significant tuning change, C# for example, I have handled it with a Variax guitar from Line 6. Easy enough for a tune or 2 at a live show in as club.

None of the "artificial" options seem to be as good as an alt tuned guitar. Any pro act just switches guitars, THE END.

Great, I'm not pro...I don't want to bring three or four guitars... I like to have a backup guitar because most pros do, and if I bring one a440 and one flat and backups for them, that's 4 guitars... I don't have roadies and the point of me going with the AX8 was to downsize, not bring more guitars and or gear... Thanks for the input though...

So bring 2 guitars tuned different and if one of them has a problem, you have to tune the other. Or pack the pedal.

Well you can complain that "we need a 'Wishes and Bugs' forum" so the "AX8 Wishes and Bugs" forum is gonna be shut down because you don't like complains am I right?

Yes you are right, if it was my company I’d probably run things a bit differently, and no doubt be less successful. I’d say “you want this feature, buy a III”

FAS, luckily, does give and give to an unprecedented scale, adding so many features, for free, to their products to try to keep folks happy. Seemingly it’s never enough though, as people just keep wanting and wanting. I can only imagine how frustrating that has got to be for Cliff.

Real testament to the man that he doesn’t just say “it’s a finished product, you get what you get” and go enjoy time on his boat

So bring 2 guitars tuned different and if one of them has a problem, you have to tune the other. Or pack the pedal.

I get it... was just hoping there would be an update for this.. Everything else has been so good, just don't understand why no update to fix this issue is all... I'm bringing out the Digi all the time, it's on my short board would just prefer the AX8 do it all... The AX8 does, and can do, so much, I figured maybe somebody knew of a fix coming soon. I know the Digi is not heavy or too cumbersome to bring, just redundant...

Yes you are right, if it was my company I’d probably run things a bit differently, and no doubt be less successful. I’d say “you want this feature, buy a III”

FAS, luckily, does give and give to an unprecedented scale, adding so many features, for free, to their products to try to keep folks happy. Seemingly it’s never enough though, as people just keep wanting and wanting. I can only imagine how frustrating that has got to be for Cliff.

Real testament to the man that he doesn’t just say “it’s a finished product, you get what you get” and go enjoy time on his boat

I got my AX8 in December so just under a year, switched from the Kemper. I'm sure he hears many complaints and wishes ( along with kudos or else I wouldn't have switched ) for his products, but if he didn't listen, people would find other products to buy.... Coming from the KPA I can tell you the drop on that is much more smooth and less latency, still not as good as the Digi in my estimation but usable, where as the AX8 is not.... Bottom line I'm just lazy looking for an update that may fix this issue, and to me, I'm the only person that matters...lol

I currently bring 6 guitars. I’m just saying a pitch block update could be a game changer for a lot of people.

Not sure what qualifies as “pro” but we get paid, travel, occasionally do fly gigs (the fly gigs normally only use two guitars). If the pitch block lived up to the hype on the AxFX III threads I would probably bring 2 or 3 guitars instead of 6.

If it can’t be done, so be it. I didn’t purchase this unit with that intention anyway so I can continue to live without it. But again, would awesome.

Don’t want to come off as complaining. Not the case here. I’m just wishing/hoping LOL.

I think the reason Cliff keeps the updates coming is that his name is attached to every unit out there. The better he can continue to make them, the better Fractal’s impression will be in the industry. The continued support is a BIG part of the product and has become a major part of the reputation. Although, sooner or later a line has to drawn and I think that is generally understood.

Alrighty then...

@Whookam, I'm not aware that FAS has ever explicitly stated they are planning on releasing better pitch algos. Perhaps Cliff has, but I haven't seen any posts to that end.

Yes, I dont recall ever seeing a post from Cliff or anyone at FAS that the pitch block for the AX8 is being addressed. This post goes back 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom