Pitch Block - What Am I Missing? (Latency Issue)

To rule out variables:
  • Guitar in front input
  • Reset the III (Setup > Utility > Reset)
  • Create the most simple preset: IN > PITCH > AMP > CAB > OUT
  • Reset each block
  • Select Virtual Capo
  • Test...
Exactly what does "Reset the III (Setup > Utility > Reset)" do? What system parameters change so I can make sure & notate my current settings.

You can make a backup with Fractal-Bot off the system data and restore that after the test.

Yes, indeed. But if it doesn't solve the issue, you get your settings back fast and easy.

By curiosity I just did the test in Cubase and I have 28 ms of latency with a semitone down (with virtual capo or dual shift)

By curiosity I just did the test in Cubase and I have 28 ms of latency with a semitone down (with virtual capo or dual shift)
This is within the range of expected latency values depending on the settings you've got on the block.

I don't think you've "debunked" anything. Just made it more mysterious. End to end latency, with an amp and cab block, is most definitely not sub-10 ms like you measured.

What were your pitch block settings?

I apologize if I sounded condescending or otherwise out of line.

Here is what I did in the meantime. I created 2 presets. One with just amp and cab and another with Pitch set at Virtual Capo, mono, -1. Latency without pitch block is 8ms. Latency measured with pitch block is 23ms. That gives a latency of 15ms for the pitch-black used "in context". It actually looks like my earlier measurements of 5.2 ms were halved somehow. My bad. Apologies to anyone I might have offended.

I apologize if I sounded condescending or otherwise out of line.

Here is what I did in the meantime. I created 2 presets. One with just amp and cab and another with Pitch set at Virtual Capo, mono, -1. Latency without pitch block is 8ms. Latency measured with pitch block is 23ms. That gives a latency of 15ms for the pitch-black used "in context". It actually looks like my earlier measurements of 5.2 ms were halved somehow. My bad. Apologies to anyone I might have offended.
No offense taken. Just wanted to clarify what was being done.

So realistically, given a low E is ~12ms peak-to-peak, on a guitar, you can't really do better than that for pitch shifting. 2x that is a reasonable detection time for high quality detection, especially on low frequency content.

Yup, just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

And what's the current state? Progress?

Another thing: did anyone who's experiencing issues with the Pitch block, check their Input blocks? In particular, the Attack parameter in the Input block? Because I noticed recently that mine was set at the maximum position, which is where you don't want it to be. Either user error, or maybe a conversion issue dating back to firmware 1.18. Either way, this can account for the extra perceived latency.

Interesting... updated to latest FW just now and went back to my old patch that used Dual Shift and the latency I experienced before is totally gone. How odd!

Regardless, I've been using Virtual Capo since the issue first occurred and it's been flawless.

Seriously, very odd!

I'm not having great results on 2.02. Even with the simplest patch, pitch block engaged on virtual capo poly with no shift dialed in, there is detectable latency. Once the capo is shifted one semi in either direction, the latency is, for me, unusable in a live situation. I'd hoped this would be a cool feature for when I need to drop a half step.

Exactly what does "Reset the III (Setup > Utility > Reset)" do? What system parameters change so I can make sure & notate my current settings.

Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously, and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

I'm not having great results on 2.02. Even with the simplest patch, pitch block engaged on virtual capo poly with no shift dialed in, there is detectable latency. Once the capo is shifted one semi in either direction, the latency is, for me, unusable in a live situation. I'd hoped this would be a cool feature for when I need to drop a half step.
Yup. The only conclusion I can come to given the variety of polarized responses is that some of us are simply more sensitive to the latency. I don't believe the others aren't objectively experiencing it, but it's not ruining their day. To be clear, there's no value judgement or better/worse attached to this, just an observation. I can't think of another explanation that would have so many of us experiencing literally unusable latency and others just salivating because it's so perfect and awesome. Different strokes, eh?

Back
Top Bottom