Bug? Pitch Block tracking slowly (Fixed)

Johan Allard

Power User
Hi guys,

I just got inspired to learn the end solo to Hotel California yesterday and started looking into doing to harmony thing at the end. Using Mark Day's preset as a starting point I created a new preset with his custom scale on my Ax8. It didn't sound right and today I used his preset on my Axe Fx 2 and made sure I copied the setting from his pitch block and it sounded much better on the Axe Fx 2. So I started doing some A/B testing and what seems to happen is that it's tracking quite slow so when I play it creates sort of a wobbly sound, not very pleasing at all. Here's a Soundcloud recording of them both after another, the Ax8 first (recorded into my iPhone - it's not really about sounds quality and you can hear what's going on):

As you can hear, the Axe Fx 2 sounds much tighter.

Is this a known problem with the Ax8 or somethings that's being worked on at all? Or does anyone know of any workarounds or have I screwed up the config? I tried the Economy setting but that just made things worse.

I've attached the screenshot of the pitch config and the preset for reference.

Attachments

• AX8-Edit.png
    AX8-Edit.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Hotel California Solo.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
It could have some latency due to high CPU. Your preset has a 82% CPU value, less CPU could give less latency. On Axe-Fx CPU headroom is more than Ax8

Would love to see more updates on the pitch block instead of more improvements to the amp block.
I use it to change keys live and it would be great to have every little improvement there can be.

Have you tried setting pitch source to local?

I've tried now. Maybe slightly, slighty better but no where near as good as the Axe Fx 2.

It could have some latency due to high CPU. Your preset has a 82% CPU value, less CPU could give less latency. On Axe-Fx CPU headroom is more than Ax8

I've tried and makes no difference - as expected actually. The Ax8 is obviously not a generic computer where different processes compete over the same CPU cycles all the time. When you assign a block to the grid, it automatically and instantly consumes the all CPU that it has been programmed for. It doesn't then dynamically try to use more CPU if there's more available. In the Ax8 it will also shut down effects (typically the reverb) if you go above the limit (about 90%). But yeah, tried nevertheless and I couldn't hear any difference by removing Drive, Delay and Reverb to get it down to 45% or so.

I just updated to the latest Q4 firmware and I think it's tracking as well as my Axe Fx 2 now. Are you seeing this as well?

Curious if there was a specific fix that it wasn't mentioned in the release notes.

Back
Top Bottom