Pitch Block - Intel Harm

slinky005

Power User
Had the Axe for almost 5 years.
I have occasionally attempted to use this feature for particular songs my band is covering.
I have messed around with it to no success.
I'm tying to do the harmony part of Run to You by Bryan Adams.
Is it possible to set this up using the custom note section of the Key / Scale?

One scale won't work with how the notes/chords change.

If you used custom shift mode and switched between two scales, that would work. The only spot where you run into the need for a second scale is where F# has a D below during the D chord, because it was C#-F# earlier over the F# chord.

You could also set up an intel. harm. mode custom scale (6-notes, F# G# A# B C# D#, harmony -3) to get the first arp and change key via Ext Ctrl or scene controller.

I'll post another solution that doesn't require any footswitching in a bit.

Works for some notes but not all.
One scale won't work with how the notes/chords change.

If you used custom shift mode and switched between two scales, that would work. The only spot where you run into the need for a second scale is where F# has a D below during the D chord, because it was C#-F# earlier over the F# chord.

You could also set up an intel. harm. mode custom scale (6-notes, F# G# A# B C# D#, harmony -3) to get the first arp and change key via Ext Ctrl or scene controller.

I'll post another solution that doesn't require any footswitching in a bit.
Thx man.
I've used the Ext Ctrl method in the past and it worked for another tune but this one seems to be too cumbersome and confusing to use that technique.

I've never had much success with the intelligent custom harmonies (guess I'm not intelligent enough). I stick to global custom scales. So much easier to set up and I can always get exactly what I want. Too bad there are only 32 slots available.

I could swear someone set that whole song up about a year or so ago & I think I remember there was quite a bit that went into it. I never have ever used a harmonizer, I personally never liked that sound, so I don’t know the first thing about them, I just remember reading a Bryan Adams Harmonizer thread here & all the steps that went into it..

This will work if you accent specific notes as shown to trigger the ADSR, which activates pitch learn briefly. You'll probably want to test and adjust ADSR threshold for your guitar. If it's a bit low and too many notes trigger it, the worst that would usually happen is harmony being a semitone off on a couple grace notes. The accents in parentheses don't really need to trigger learn, but it's good to aim for that so the next notes of triplet can't trigger it.

qgU1fme.png

Scene 3 ramps up MTD input gain & decay time for a nice cloud over chords. Correct harmony for grace notes obtained by delaying learn activation until around where the hammer-on would be.

EbN3Yun.png

Attachments

• Run to You harm.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
This will work if you accent specific notes as shown to trigger the ADSR, which activates pitch learn briefly. You'll probably want to test and adjust ADSR threshold for your guitar. If it's a bit low and too many notes trigger it, the worst that would usually happen is harmony being a semitone off on a couple grace notes. The accents in parentheses don't really need to trigger learn, but it's good to aim for that so the next notes of triplet can't trigger it.

qgU1fme.png

Scene 3 ramps up MTD input gain & decay time for a nice cloud over chords. Correct harmony for grace notes obtained by delaying learn activation until around where the hammer-on would be.

EbN3Yun.png

Wow.
Thanks for all this.
Maybe its easier to hire a second guitar player just for this solo??
Just noticed the syx file - will check it out.
If I can get it to sound as good as your sample, I'm in business.
Thx again.

Last edited:
I might skip "Learn" and use Custom Scales with a control switch to change the scale.

With custom scale & footswitch you could actually use one scale and just change key. Define the scale to work for the F# and E arps by default (key = A), then switch key to G anytime in 3rd or 4th measure.

Back
Top Bottom